Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Tie rod at pitman arm..UGH!!!

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Ziggylittles 
#1 ·
I have been beating on this all day. It is the ONLY end that refuses to pop.

I have the drag link off and the passenger end of steering bar tied up to frame. The fork is about 3/4 of the way under the joint.

Is there some Dodge secret pounding that will get this to separate?

:crying:

#3 ·
The fork is between the tie rod and the pitman arm. The tie rod comes in from the top.

#5 ·
I don't use the fork. They just destroy the boot. I bought a tie rod puller from harbor freight. You should be able to rent one at autozone or other chain parts store. Makes it a lot easier.

Edit: here is what I used just last weekend to pull mine off -
http://www.harborfreight.com/tie-rod-and-pitman-arm-puller-1752.html. It even works to remove the pitman arm from the gear box though I had to grind little off the opening of the puller to get it to fit around neck of the gear box.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Put a torch to the pitman, heat it up, and lots of penetrating fluid. Repeat until successful.

#7 ·
Guess I will try the puller first then get myself a torch. I am replacing the tie rod end with a Luke's Link so all I need to save is the threaded ball stud.

#12 ·
Mine took a ton of hammering, a ton of heat, and still broke 2 pullers. What finally got it off was my 300 lb buddy hanging from it while my 250 lb buddy hung from him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.