Need Battery Suggestions! - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Non-Powertrain
94-98 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 94-98 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Need Battery Suggestions!

Hello,
When my truck isn't plugged in and it's real cold out 0-20* F, especially when it sits all day or overnight, the batteries don't seem to have enough juice to turn the motor over. Defintitely related is the fact that my gauges are hooked up to the 12V outlet in the dash and I need to relocate that wire. But, when it's above 30 degrees I have no problem at all starting the truck if it sits for a while. Does having my gauges hooked up to the 12V outlet draw that much power when the truck is off and would it effect cold starting that much if the block isn't plugged in.

More than likely, my batteries need to be replaced though. I was hoping to get a few suggestions for batteries for my 98 12v. I'd like something that will have the cold cranking power for temps to 0*.
Thanks.

1998 Dodge RAM 2500, 12 V, Club Cab, LB, BHAF, #6FP, 3GSK, ISSPRO Gauges, 4" SS Exhaust, Bilsteins, tabbed KDP, Goerend Transmission, 240K

Last edited by objectmaker; 02-11-2007 at 10:59 PM. Reason: needed to add more info
objectmaker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2007, 11:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Looking for a truck again

Something that might be easier and cheaper is switching to synthetic oil when it gets cold. I know my truck starts much easier when using it.
*SOLD*98.5 2500 regular cab, long box, 4x4, 24 valve, 5 speed, 5 inch straight pipe, autometer cobalt series boost and pyro gauges, isspro fuel pressure gauge, fram boost intake, jammer 3's , edge comp with MAP unplugged, Holley Blue inline fuel pump, 285/75/16 Mastercraft Courser CT's, high flow banjos, tinted windows, Alpine head unit, Infinity 6x9's in doors, and a couple other go fast secrets! Now driving a 01 dakota
oestreich84 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2007, 01:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Synthetic oil helps but if your batteries are junk I would suggest getting a pair of 1100CCA Interstate batteries. I have had ones that were froze solid and thawed out that worked just find for another 2 years or so. Impressive for lead plate battery.
80hp BD injectors
Edge EZ box
Moded air box
Boost fooler
Pyro and Boost gauges

:thumbsup
lbeenken is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2007, 02:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

There was a battery thread a while back and a lot of people were very satisfied with the Wal Mart batteries. Made by a good company and cheaper than the big names.

Randy
Old 02-12-2007, 04:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Wal-mart batteries are 6 years old and still cranking.
racknrider is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2007, 05:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Optima batterys are the answer,, Best battery I have ever owned, and being they are completely sealed no need to ever clean the connections again. I will say they are expensive, but they are the best.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDyson View Post
There was a battery thread a while back and a lot of people were very satisfied with the Wal Mart batteries. Made by a good company and cheaper than the big names.

Randy
I've had a pair of the Yellow Dura Maxx Batteries from Walmart for the past 6 years and are still going strong. 1000 CCA at 32* and drop to 900 CCA at 0*
I think these are warranted for 9 years, good battery for the price IMHO

1997 2500 4x4 Auto, 4.10 Reg. cab Long box. BHAF, Silencer ring M.I.A.Dowel Pin Killed Phantom Triple gauges, #5 Plate Slid some, Star wheel cranked.
64cowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2007, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Thanks everyone for your advice. Went to wallyworld and was surprised how cheap the batteries were there and am happy to hear that it's actually a good product for the price. So outlawstorm, what do you consider expensive for the Optima batteries?

1998 Dodge RAM 2500, 12 V, Club Cab, LB, BHAF, #6FP, 3GSK, ISSPRO Gauges, 4" SS Exhaust, Bilsteins, tabbed KDP, Goerend Transmission, 240K
Old 02-12-2007, 09:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

i just put in my optima yellow tops, and i love em! they were about 168 a piece. so yeah kinda spendy. but i figure that they will last, are completly sealed, and will completly recharge if you drain them ALL the way. But ive also had good luck with the EverStart MAXX wal mart brand.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Be sure your terminals aren't loose

Our engine shake
Old 02-12-2007, 11:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

I think an important thing to consider is getting a sealed battery. Conventional type batteries will leak acid and destroy the inside of your fenders. Not only that, due to the beating these trucks take on the front end, the batteries get shook to death - again, a conventional battery isnt always the best choice here. Cheapest isnt always the best. Optima, or better yet , Oddessy batteries are a great way to go.

Ever seen the Odessys?:

Odessy Batteries

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 02-12-2007 at 11:50 PM.
Dr. Evil is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2007, 01:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Yowza! I called the local supplier for those Odessy batteries and they want
$270 a piece for them. The Optima were much less, but still pricey at $164 a piece. Wallyworld wants $72. Looks like I'll find something in between, though
the Optimas are tempting. Thanks again for all the advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.