What years gave the best fuel economy??? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Non-Powertrain
94-98 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 94-98 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 01:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
What years gave the best fuel economy???

Well, last Sunday my wife totalled my 1995 Dodge Ram 4x4 with the Cummins diesel. Along with our 26' RV. Just had to keep going in a Montana blizzard instead of pulling over and waiting out the winds. Not a scratch on anyone, so I guess their is a positive side to it all.

Anyways, to me it looks like there is sufficient damage such that the insurance company will probably write it off; I doubt the fact it was still getting 24 mpg on the highway and didn't have a mark on it will mean much to the adjustors. When they make their decision, I will have to decide whether it is worth having it rebuilt or not if they do write it off and I can buy it as salvage. Maybe I will get lucky - I sure loved that truck as I bought it brand new as a factory order with my bullet bonus from my tour in Bosnia.

But, if worst comes to worst, can you folks advise me which years of the Rams got the best diesel economy? I got 24 mpg (about 29 mpg imperial) on the last tank I put in my truck and I have heard of guys getting as good as or better milage than that with similarly equipped trucks to mine in later years.

That's what I bought the diesel for in the first place, economy, although it certainly hasn't hurt when towing our now-deceased travel trailer around. I drove new Dodge diesels in the oil patch last year - gobs more power that I don't need, but nowhere near the fuel economy.

My Ram was a 95 4x4 with the long box, five speed manual transmission, limited slip differential, and tow package. Only comfort extras were A/C and a sliding rear window to access the Gemtop canopy. No trim packages, no power crap, nice and minimal plain jane truck with little to go wrong with it. Hopefully I can find something similar out there - not only do I not have the money to buy a new Dodge, but I liked my old truck better than the new ones I was driving in the oil patch last year.

Anyways, if I do have to go shopping, I would appreciate which years I should be looking at in terms of economy. I confess I didn't pay much attention to information about the successive years of Dodge trucks: I just maintained and drove the hell out of it for 14 years and was planning on driving it for at least another decade or two.

Thanks guys!
Jäger is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2009, 01:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

there is no cummins gonna get better milage than the old 12v's (89-98) although to me 24 mpg is even high for a 12v. if it were me looking for economy id buy anther 12v no doubt.

sorry to hear about what happened but atleast no one got hurt. trucks can be replaced.

Previous rams 2000 2500 slt + qc lb 4x4 v-10, 03 qc lb 2500 4x4 hemi Laramie, 07 3500 qc lb 4x4 5.9 ctd Laramie. All have been black
Tuffguy707 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 01:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

oh and

Previous rams 2000 2500 slt + qc lb 4x4 v-10, 03 qc lb 2500 4x4 hemi Laramie, 07 3500 qc lb 4x4 5.9 ctd Laramie. All have been black
Old 04-29-2009, 01:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffguy707 View Post
there is no cummins gonna get better milage than the old 12v's (89-98) although to me 24 mpg is even high for a 12v. if it were me looking for economy id buy anther 12v no doubt.
Thanks.

Yeah, I had nothing to complain about. Having the manual transmission and a Gemtop canopy that was even with the roofline probably helped as did most of the miles being with no load other than the driver. And along with the fact I usually put it in 5th gear on the highway, clicked the cruise control on at 60 mph, and left it there. Not a lot of traffic and other hindrances to deal with out here in the boonies when you're driving the highways.

The new Dodges I was driving last year were fun for the power they had, but I just don't need that kind of power for 99% of the usage of my truck. Who knows, maybe I should even be looking at a gas pot big enough to tow our trailer on the short hauls we do go out with it. When I bought my truck way back then, I didn't even consider a gas engine because diesel was so very much cheaper back then.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinion!
Old 04-29-2009, 02:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
Thanks.

Yeah, I had nothing to complain about. Having the manual transmission and a Gemtop canopy that was even with the roofline probably helped as did most of the miles being with no load other than the driver. And along with the fact I usually put it in 5th gear on the highway, clicked the cruise control on at 60 mph, and left it there. Not a lot of traffic and other hindrances to deal with out here in the boonies when you're driving the highways.

The new Dodges I was driving last year were fun for the power they had, but I just don't need that kind of power for 99% of the usage of my truck. Who knows, maybe I should even be looking at a gas pot big enough to tow our trailer on the short hauls we do go out with it. When I bought my truck way back then, I didn't even consider a gas engine because diesel was so very much cheaper back then.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinion!
no problem, thats what im here for, good luck in finding your new truck. just to warn you i have a 07 with the 5.9 and the best economy i get is 16mpg but mine is slightly modded and i drive it hard so..

Old 04-29-2009, 02:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffguy707 View Post
no problem, thats what im here for, good luck in finding your new truck. just to warn you i have a 07 with the 5.9 and the best economy i get is 16mpg but mine is slightly modded and i drive it hard so..
I kind of scratch my head at any mods I would want to do with mine. Anything that increased the economy, I suppose, or reduced the engine noise (although I didn't particularly mind it). I just liked that truck all the way around.

I didn't drive it hard because I didn't need to - 60mph is lots here in the Rocky Mountains where there's lots of neat scenery and not a lot of high speed highways or traffic to begin with. Most places I might have needed to go were within a 60 mile radius, and I don't think you could find anything around here that could qualify as being called "city traffic". It pretty much idled around on the highways empty except for me driving. And trips with the trailer were never more than two or three hours one way at most, although that truck did haul that trailer back and forth between Canada and Utah about six times.

Nope... off the top of my head I can't think of anything with the truck that failed to meet my demands and expectations that made me think I should look for some mods. Perhaps I'm just easily satisfied, but I always thought it was a hell of a truck just the way it is/was.

If I'd done a lot of heavy hauling with it, then I would probably have been a little bit dissatisfied with the manual transmission and the lack of raw power.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i understand that. i play with my truck so thats why i mod mine. its my toy

Old 04-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'd say stick with a 12 valve if you can find a good one. 24MPG is good for a 4x4.

My 1st Cummins was a '97 2500 EC 4x4 Auto and I could get 24 MPG if I stayed under 60 MPH. My current best-MPG truck is the '96 3500 EC 2WD Auto, that one will get over 23 MPG at a very steady 65 MPH.

To improve mileage, you can set the injection timing to around 16* and maybe change injectors. I've also got low stall speed torque converters on both trucks. About 90% of the battle goes back to driving style, and if you were getting 24 MPG you've got that one down right!
'97 2500 4x4 auto, Suncoast TC/VB, #5 16.5*, Arrowcraft DRW, Aerotanks D60, KDP
'96 3500 2x4 auto, Goerend TC/VB, #5 16* DDP2 355hp/970tq, D60 tank, KDP
Charlie.Smith is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I will input what I know about mine. I have an 06' QCSB 4x4 Bully dog programmer and straight pipe w/ Volant CAI. Its more power than i will ever need, but is great when I do pull. I drive about like you and get 20-22 hwy. Thats hand calculated and with 34" tires. I hand calculate because the overhead console reads 26-27 and I know thats a lie! Just thought I would let you know stats from my rig.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

got 19!!!

On my last tank with listed mods. This was with 4 or 5 good 0-60 rags! 19.05 to be exact. I was very very pleased.
Derek
2006 2500 White, 15% Tint w/5% Strip, Debadged, No Muffler or Cat, 4 inch exhaust, S&B, 295/70/17 Hankook rf10 ATs, KMC XD 17 x 9 Revolvers BLACK... Waitin on ... Black Big Mouth Grille, Spray In, Black Bumpers....
virgils59 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,573 Posts
Sorry my state got you. It can be tough here.
It seems to me the '94-'96 trucks got the best mpgs. Maybe the pump and other changes in '97 effected mileage.
I consistently get about 24 mpg with mine.
I would rebuild the truck if it isn't too bad.
The reason the insurance is calling it totaled is because a 15 year old truck isn't worth much monetarily.
For kicks I asked what a VW dealer would give for a trade in on my excellent condition, one owner 2500.... they said $1500-$2000.
It's still worth the $24,000 I paid new for it to me.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: -1 reviews
I would think the lower hp 94-95 stick's would be hard to beat mileage wise.

My buddy bought a 94 3500 4x4 with a stick and 3.55 gears. Damn thing got 25mpg all the time mind you it was bone stock down to the air filter and muffler. Fuel plate and afc untouched. Was no speed demon thats for sure in stock form.
moparguy55 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.