Front axle seal 3500 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Non-Powertrain
94-98 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 94-98 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Front axle seal 3500

Hey ya'll. I gotta 96 3500. my driver side axle seal started to leak and a couple dodge mechanics said its about 6 hours labor and you need special tools. I replaces seals in older 60's in my and my buddies mud trucks and it didnt take but 3 hours and didnt need any "special" tools. Anybody done this before Thanks for your time
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Subscribed I would like know also.

Thanks for all the help from Mark at Danville Performance
199eightcummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,114 Times in 1,572 Posts
99% of the time the seal is fine, problem is the differential is overfilled.
Spec is 3/4" below the bottom of the fill plug. I can guarantee it will eventually leak if filled to the bottom of the hole.
It may take up to 500 miles for the leak to stop after the correct level, it's just oil that made it past the seal and is trapped in the axle tube taking it's time to dribble out.

If you still feel the seal needs to be replaced here you go, it's not all that fun> http://dieselpowerman.tripod.com/Fro... Axle Tech.htm
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

My man.. thats what i like to hear. A matter of fact i just changed the gear oil in itlast week. And I filled it to the bottom of the plug. 3/4 of an inch below?? I learn something new everyday..You just made my day!! Hell, you just made my week!!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

my passenger side went out and it wasnt bad. took bout an hour. I have heard that the drivers side is a pain in the butt! I dont think you need any special tools. just time.
97 12v ECLB 4x4. Auto Trans, Isspro gauges, 3k GSK, #10 Plate FF, BHAF, 5in straight RSD exhaust, 10in lift on DOR long arms. DT Crossover steering. 24x12 xd Rockstars w/40x15.50 SS M16s, custom bumpers by me much more to come
Offroadin89 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Thats what i was thinkin. special tools?? they said the seal is like a sleeve shape seal and you need some kinda special tool. he wanted to charge me 450 bux and its my dads buddy. I will be damned if i pay someone 450 if i can do it my damn self. ya know. I take alot of pride in doing my own wrenching. Sometime that same pride bites me in the tush too LOL
Old 02-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by illflem View Post
99% of the time the seal is fine, problem is the differential is overfilled.
Spec is 3/4" below the bottom of the fill plug. I can guarantee it will eventually leak if filled to the bottom of the hole.
It may take up to 500 miles for the leak to stop after the correct level, it's just oil that made it past the seal and is trapped in the axle tube taking it's time to dribble out.

If you still feel the seal needs to be replaced here you go, it's not all that fun> http://dieselpowerman.tripod.com/Fro... Axle Tech.htm
Really? that doesn't sound right to me. correct me if I'm wrong, the seal is supposed to be tight around the axle shaft, if it is leaking cause it's too full that tells me that it is early warning signs of a bad seal. Is there something different about a Dodge D60 vs other dana axles?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,114 Times in 1,572 Posts
Quote:
Really? that doesn't sound right to me. correct me if I'm wrong,
Read your owner's manual if you don't believe..
I can't count how many times I've fixed leaking axle seals with a suction gun.
The rear will leak also if overfull except the spec is 1/2" below the bottom of the hole.
It seems odd to me also.
At some point, not sure which year, maybe '98, Dana lowered the fill plug so that you can fill to the bottom.
Overfilling not only causes leaks but also causes the differentials to run hot.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 12:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

there is a tool to install the seals it makes it easier but you can do it without it drivers side is easy you just have to pull the carrier out to get to it after removing the axle shafts of course
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.