Delivery Valve Holder Breakdown - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Technical Articles - Writeups - Guides Section > 94-98 Tech Articles > 94-98 Engine
94-98 Engine Tech articles dealing with the 2nd gen 12V engine

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Delivery Valve Holder Breakdown

This is to show how a delivery valve holder operates.

All measurments are + or - .002"

Unmodified holder, looks like the opening is too small to push fuel through untill you separate the parts.

Holder on left split horizontally and parts pulled out. Holder on right everything is cut in half (missing spring on right).

Sorry, but I dont know all the "officail" names of these parts, so I just used 1-4.

Parts assembled.
The fuel is first pushed up through #4 which has an opening of .120". It then is pushed up onto #3. #3 has a small .025" hole that goes straight through. This is the hole that most look at and think all the fuel is pushed through this small opening. That is a false assumption. The fuel pushes up on #3 and lifts it up off its seat on #4. #3 then has three holes for the fuel to pass through that are each .075" in diameter. The fuel then passes through the rest of #3 including through the spring. #3 moves up and down in #2 which is essentially just a sleeve. Next the fuel is pushed throught #1 which has a .100" diameter. Lastly the fuel is pushed through the rest of the holder which also has a .100" diameter.

As you can see the biggest resriction is the .100" passage. This design provides plenty of flow and thus does not need to be drilled out or have larger holders machined out.

another angle

partyshortbusdriver is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to partyshortbusdriver For This Useful Post:
mater12v (09-03-2013), ringo7784 (08-06-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Nice info, took me a minute to figure out how the extra holes of #3 helped, but I was looking at the assemble pictures wrong. But I agree no point in honing out the holder when the lines would be the restriction until you go to .120, which are useless in 99.99% of the Ppump trucks.

On edit...

I wonder though, if the flow is hampered (IDK if thats the word Im looking for though) by having to go up and around the "nozzle" on #3 and if opening that small .025 hole would help, so the fuel wouldnt be "hampered" or restricted have to go around that nozzle? Now I guess on that note, does "#3" always lift high enough were the fuel can always get to the .075 holes, Im guessing it does, due to nothing is really rpm related, and the cam opens it up all the way everytime.

Last edited by bh10; 05-04-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: new thoughts
bh10 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Great pics. Where does the delivery valve go in relation to these other parts?

bh10----the area of the .100 hole is-.00785 sq in

the combined area of the 3 .075 holes is-.013246875 sq in

so the 3 holes combined are .005396875 sq in bigger than the .100 hole

hope this makes sense, doesn't seem like much but i'm sure it makes a difference

Jordan
Old 05-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar or no car View Post
Great pics. Where does the delivery valve go in relation to these other parts?

bh10----the area of the .100 hole is-.00785 sq in

the combined area of the 3 .075 holes is-.013246875 sq in

so the 3 holes combined are .005396875 sq in bigger than the .100 hole

hope this makes sense, doesn't seem like much but i'm sure it makes a difference

Jordan
DV goes below the bottom spring in this pic.

Brandon is talking about pushing up on #3 could be a restriction.

It probably is a restriction but not enough to make much of a difference.
partyshortbusdriver is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to partyshortbusdriver For This Useful Post:
96_12v_cummins (01-03-2011), levi_plummer (04-18-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.