2004.5 code P0148 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > 911 Urgent Situations
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2004.5 code P0148

I drove my 2004.5 for the first time in about a month today (somehow the wife seems to have inherited my truck) and it was low on power. I checked the codes and it throws a P0148, fuel delivery error. It also seems like when I mash the throttle at 60mph that I can hear a boost leak. Can a boost leak lead to a P0148 code
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
High Pressure Common Rail. If it's low on power, you popped the relief valve. There's one of two ways to fix it: 1.Buy a new relief=$400 or cap it. But if you cap it you can wreck an injector if your not careful or you can cap it and see if power comes back.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BILLS06 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Is the pressure relief valve the same on a 2003 common rail CTD because I have access to one of those on a parts truck. Also, just to clarify, would a boost leak have any influence on the trouble code? Is it possible that what sounds like an air leak could actually be the relief valve acting up? Lastly, if I keep driving the truck like this can it cause any damage?
Old 09-30-2008, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

The valves are the same. On the small boost leak, does it smoke black pretty good when you get on it?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Is there any way a dealer can check if the relief valve needs to be replaced. This code and loss of power has been a huge problem for me, and the dealer I have taken it to can never seem to find any problems with their scanner. The code is there, but they can't get it to duplicate the problem while test driving it themselves,(next to no power, etc as mentioned in many other threads). Don't want to hyjack the thread, but just wanted to bring a question up. Doubt the dealer will take my advise and swap the valve, based on some internet research.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Don't worry about hyjacking my thread. I want to get all the info I can. Burgo, does your truck do this all the time or is it intermittent? Mine doesn't always do it. It gets pretty annoying when you want to pass someone and you don't know if your truck is gonna be a rocket or a slug. With all this computer/electoronic stuff on our trucks you would think it should be easier to diagnose these pesky problems. Oh, I checked all my turbo to intercooler connections and everything appears OK. I also don't seem to get any extra black smoke.

Last edited by erikz; 10-02-2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: forgot some info
erikz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I also wanted to ask where the FCA was and how hard is it to remove or test? Also, if I change the rail pressure relief valve what's the approximate torque on the unit? Thanks.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

FCA is on the back of the injection pump, 3 screws and a connector is all it takes to remove it. The dealer will have to drive it around with the star scan to see what rail pressure is @ wot and at idle. Torque on the valve is 52 ft/lbs and the banjo bolt is 18 ft/lbs

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator aka BOSS

Thanked 3,158 Times in 2,005 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
here's P0148 from Chrysler's database, just for some background reading of what all can set the code:

P0148-HIGH PRESSURE COMMON RAIL (HPCR) CHECKSUM
For a complete wiring diagram Refer to the Wiring Information.

When Monitored:
While the engine is running.

Set Condition:
A deviation between the fuel pressure set point and the actual fuel pressure.

Possible Causes
OTHERS DTC'S PRESENT
FUEL LEAKS
FUEL CONTROL ACTUATOR
FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR
CASCADE OVERFLOW VALVE
CHECK VALVE DAMAGED OR BLOCKED
FUEL RETURN LINES OBSTRUCTION, DAMAGE, OR DEBRIS
LIFT PUMP FLOW
AIR IN FUEL SYSTEM
LEAKING FUEL INJECTORS OR HIGH PRESSURE CONNECTORS
PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE
HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP
INTERMITTENT CONDITION
Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Engine Control (ECM) - Standard Procedure)

1. OTHERS DTCS PRESENT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. With the scan tool, read DTCs.

Are any other DTC's present?
Yes

Repair other DTC's first.
Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Engine Control (ECM) - Standard Procedure)

No

Go To 2

2. FUEL LEAKS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Ensure that the fuel level is above 15% using the scan tool.
2. Visually inspect the low and high pressure side of the fuel system for fuel leaks or damaged components.

Do you have any fuel leaks or damaged components?
Yes

Repair the fuel leak.
Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Engine Control (ECM) - Standard Procedure)

No

Go To 3

3. FUEL CONTROL ACTUATOR

1. Check for a mechanically stuck Fuel Control Actuator (FCA). Using the scan tool, actuate the fuel control actuator.

NOTE: The fuel control actuator will only click when cycled off.

Do you hear a click from the actuator when you cycle the actuator off with the scan tool?
Yes

Go To 4

No

Replace the fuel Injector pump.

4. FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR

1. Using the scan tool, monitor the fuel pressure reading from the fuel rail pressure sensor at idle and at 2000 RPM

Is the fuel rail pressure reading higher at 2000 RPM than at idle?
Yes

Go To 5

No

Replace the fuel pressure sensor.

5. HIGH FUEL PRESSURE

1. Using the scan tool compare the fuel rail pressure set point with the actual fuel rail pressure.

Is the actual fuel rail pressure higher than the fuel rail pressure set point?
Yes

Go To 6

No

Go To 9

6. CASCADE OVERFLOW VALVE

1. Perform the no trouble code test "*fuel pump return flow test" .(Refer to 29 - Non-DTC Diagnostics/Drivability - Diesel - Diagnosis and Testing)

Did the fuel injection pump pass the test?
Yes

Go To 7

No

Replace the Fuel pump.

7. CHECK VALVE DAMAGED OR BLOCKED

1. Check the fuel drain line check valve in the rear of the cylinder head for signs of damage, blockage, or debris.

Is the check valve damaged or blocked?
Yes

Repair the cause of the damaged or blocked check valve or replace the valve.

No

Go To 8

8. FUEL RETURN LINE OBSTRUCTION, DAMAGED OR DEBRIS

1. Check the fuel return lines for signs of obstruction, damage, or debris.

Are the fuel drain lines damaged or blocked?
Yes

Repair cause of high fuel drain line restriction.

No

Go To 9

9. LIFT PUMP FLOW

1. Perform the no trouble code "*LIFT PUMP FLOW TEST". (Refer to 29 - Non-DTC Diagnostics/Drivability - Diesel - Diagnosis and Testing)

Did the Lift pump pass the test?
Yes

Go To 10

No

Replace the Lift Pump.

10. PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE

1. Perform the no trouble code test "*PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE ON THE FUEL RAIL FOR INTERNAL LEAKS".(Refer to 29 - Non-DTC Diagnostics/Drivability - Diesel - Diagnosis and Testing)

Did the pressure limiting valve pass the test procedure?
Yes

Go To 11

No

Replace the Pressure Limiting Valve.

11. LEAKING FUEL INJECTORS OR HIGH PRESSURE CONNECTORS

1. Perform the no trouble test "*INJECTOR RETURN FLOW TEST". (Refer to 29 - Non-DTC Diagnostics/Drivability - Diesel - Diagnosis and Testing)

Are any Injectors leaking or high pressure connectors leaking?
Yes

Replace or repair the leaking fuel injectors or high pressure connectors.

No

Go To 12

12. HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP

1. Perform the no trouble code test "*HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP PERFORMANCE TEST". (Refer to 29 - Non-DTC Diagnostics/Drivability - Diesel - Diagnosis and Testing)

Did the fuel pump pass the high pressure fuel pump performance test?
Yes

Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Symptom (Diagnostic Procedure). (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Engine Control (ECM) - Standard Procedure)

No

Replace the High pressure fuel pump.

Before you post, ask yourself if this is going to add to the value of the thread?

04 F350 CCLB Cummins swap in progress
SOLD-08 Megacab longbed dually
SOLD-03 QC/LB 4x4 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkles View Post
The problem is that common sense isn't so common anymore...
JWH_03_Dodge is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I changed the fuel filter and occasionally I am still getting a power loss. I was thinking of replacing the rail press relief valve next. Can the press relief valve cause an intermittent power loss? You would think it's either hooched or OK and not fail intermittently.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Administrator aka BOSS

Thanked 3,158 Times in 2,005 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
hmm... before you throw parts at it, let me look up the control line for the FCA, that way you can put power to it and check to see if it turns on/off.

Before you post, ask yourself if this is going to add to the value of the thread?

04 F350 CCLB Cummins swap in progress
SOLD-08 Megacab longbed dually
SOLD-03 QC/LB 4x4 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkles View Post
The problem is that common sense isn't so common anymore...
JWH_03_Dodge is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

I took my truck in and the dealership told me they couldn't find anything, and of course it wouldn't do it for them when they took it for a drive. Got sick of it, and their bull service and sold the truck, now its someone else's problem. Sounds harsh, but so is towing a boat through the mountains with a truck load of friends and having it die on you, loosing power steering, and hoping like hell you can keep it on the road around the curve ahead. To hell with Dodge, bought a duramax.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.