Erratic Throttle, NOT Injector Pump, APPS or MAP - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > 911 Urgent Situations
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Angry Erratic Throttle, NOT Injector Pump, APPS or MAP

After wasting $165 on an APPS and another $110 on a new MAP (both threw codes & APPS checked bad per flowchart), still having the same erratic throttle problem. Codes also showed ECM and various voltage out problems, but was told could have been triggered by bad sensors. Now I think I'm down to bad ECM or loose/shorted wire (that I can't seem to find). Don't want to throw another $500 bill into the fire with a new ECM if there's anything else I haven't thought about. Anybody have any ideas?

About a week before problem happened, I replaced (auto) trans. Drove for about 4 days then problem hit. Rechecked all connections to and around trans and couldn't find anything loose, broken, etc. Can anyone help me on how to go about tracking ALL possible wiring ground/short problems? Not sure where all of them located that are associated with the ECM.

Thanx.
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer

Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,285 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
is it currently showing any codes? I'm assuming you've load check batteries and cleaned terminals on both.
Parts for sale: Van Aken SmartBox, 03-05 Banks 6Gun, TST PMCR w/R37 remote also have another full one w/R49.
Shibbyutman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, now throwing multiple codes including ECM, low supply voltage, APPS and other related. No injector pump codes thank God. Codes have been cleared a number of times now and most recently after new MAP sensor was installed seemed to throw even more of them (?) and seems to throttle itself even more erratically. Both batteries replaced about two years ago (with HD Interstate) and still fine although I didn't load check them, just voltage with a Fluke DMM. Truck turns over fine and headlights are as bright as ever, I'm confident the batteries are good. Terminals are very clean and undoubtably connecting.

Any ideas on wiring connections?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer

Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,285 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Start at the ECM and work your way out. Remove the connectors at the ECM and see and verify that all the pins are seated to the same depth within the connector.

It does seem odd to me that all this occurred when or soon after you swapped the trans. Have you verified that nothing in on or around that area has been pinched in the swap?
Parts for sale: Van Aken SmartBox, 03-05 Banks 6Gun, TST PMCR w/R37 remote also have another full one w/R49.
Shibbyutman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice, I'll start at the ECM. Probably easier to get at after removing the fuel filter. I'll trace to the injector pump first, supply power next, then fan out and look for grounds and other sensors. I hate electronic troubleshooting...

Yes, does seem rather coincidental that this occurred 3 days after the trans swap. I've tried to find anything we worked around, but haven't come up with any obvious connection problems. I'll be looking there again for sure, but can't think of rational for anything trans signal related that should affect the throttle like that. Sure am sick of driving the wife's car though...
Old 09-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Go check check batteries, my old truck the ac did not work even started perfect. Replaced battery and ac and truck pops over fine. Just idea if you have a good battery you can high jack for testing.
scubieman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.