truck wont start p2509 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > 911 Urgent Situations
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 12:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
truck wont start p2509

On Tuseday I changed my oil and after leaving the shop I noticed my radio time was wrong. Also had p2509 code. I helped do the oil change and we didnt take the battery cables off or anything but change the oil and air filter. It was fine all week, but it has been -30 here all week. Today I had it plugged in all day. It was -30 -50 with the windchill and the truck was facing into the wind. I tried starting the truck and it turned over slow the batteries were very weak. I put a 6 amp charger on it for a few hours and it still wont start. p2509 powerdown data lost is still showing up as a code. I notice when sitting in it with the key off the odometer or gear selector the one on the right is glowing very faintly with the key off. It seems to have a very faint red glow. I am leaving it overnight blockheater, interior heater, and 6 amp charger all running all night. I need the truck in the morning. Are the batteries finished? Is there any other common problems? I thought the batteries would last more than 3 years. This is only the third winter for these original batteries the truck came from texas. There is another code also showing up today and it was there earlier in the week one cold morning when it had trouble starting. The code is transmission throttle control or something like that I don't remember the number. Truck has been shifting normal. When that code showed up earlier this week I cleared it and it didn't show up till today when I couldn't get it started.
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wont playwell with others

Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,517 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
my passenger side battery went out about 2 months ago. so they wont always last 3 yrs . have them tested and replace the bad or weak one
Old 12-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

hmm I got it going this morning with my big battery charger boosting it. I am going to take it to the local battery house tomorrow and have the batteries tested. I have heard before that both batteries should be replaced as a set or the weaker battery will pull down the new one. Only as strong as the weakest link?
Old 12-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Took truck to "battery house" today and had batteries load tested. Driver side battery failed. Voltage dropped very low very rapidly. Passenger battery seemed ok. He had run out of batteries and will have more Wednesday. I ordered two new ones for $120 each. I'll pay the core on the good one and keep it for the tractor or garbage truck. I don't know if I'm being wasteful putting two new ones in, but it's not alot of money, when it comes to fixing.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

got the new batteries installed today. Exide 850 cca kept the good one to use at home and turned the bad one in for core. 266 with install and tax.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.