Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Best oil filter to run and oil

233K views 102 replies 75 participants last post by  91.5firstgen 
#1 ·
What is the best filters to run and oil, My first oil change is due and need to go the best route. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Amsoil Ea series

#10 · (Edited)
I dont care for anything with Napa on it but thats my two cents on that.
X2, I've never cared for their stuff...

Shell Rotella T + 2qts of Lucas oil Treatment or me and pretty much any good filter that is not a FRAM (Mostly WIX or FleetGuard).

#22 ·
I thought Royal Purple was gas engines only - ??? Is it spec'ed for diesel also??

#11 ·
Amsoil Ea is what I use. On my ol' 91 Cummins I used several - Napa gold, Mopar and Wix. It has plenty plenty miles on it without any problems. Do your research because they are all not created equally. :thumbsup

#12 ·
I use Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic with WIX filters because wix makes the majority of the oil filters out there i think but i don't know if there is a bad filter, i've used FRAM in my old gassers and my 4 wheeler, because polaris wants like $15 for a tiny filter, i've never had bad luck with them but i don't know i just don't trust anything that only costs $4 on a $10,000 engine then again it probably doesn't matter i'm just paranoid.

Reactions: cowboyhan
#14 ·
Back in the 90's every time a car came into the dealership with an engine noise it had a Fram filter on it. Sometimes just changing the oil filter to a Mopar filter the noise would stop. I would not use a Fram. Just my 2 cents.

#20 ·
Why would the engine noise stop with a Mopar filter? Isn't the damage already done, if the engine is noisy?

Just for the record, I haul RV's with a 03' Dodge 3500 2WD Dually Cummins 5.9L SO, mostly out to Newfoundland/Ontario/Quebec. I run hard & fast, often reving to 3000 rpm at the bottom of a long steep grade, just to see it pulled down to 2000 rpm near the top. And I do this often for 3 to 4 hrs. at a time, for 10 to 12 hrs. a day.

My oil... Walmart Super Tech Premium 15w40!

My filter... Fram! (Although I will be using Wix soon, because I can save about $4/filter, if I get a case quantity.)

AND... I change my oil & filter about every 10,000 miles, & the guys at the garage say that the oil still looks not too bad when it's draining out. And it doesn't need any oil added between oil changes! A Diesel Mechanic told me last week that by running mostly highway miles for long periods of time, there is no problem with condensation, soot, etc.

Cheap oil is fine as long as it meets the SAE standards & Fram has been around longer than me! :thumbsup

I'll let you guys know IF my Cummins seizes up! :peelout

John Good

#15 ·
I use rotella 15-40 with a fleetgaurd filter. I used a fram filter on my gas GMC and it had 241k on it with no motor problems, but i guess i dont trust it on this truck because I look at what they run on the larger trucks and its not fram

#16 ·
Man lots of good info here, I appreciate the help. It looks like WIX does make a lot of filters with other peoples name on it. Thanks Again

#17 ·
dads had bout 8 or 9 cummins' and always runs mystik 15-50 w/ mopar filter, a few trucks got over 150k on em w/ no problem. but i think i'm gonna run rotella w/ mopar.

#29 ·
I ran royal purple in my Ford V-10 and it was like water after 5000 miles. You could feel the mileage wane as the engine got noisier and noisier through the miles. Maybe it was specific to the v-10 but I went through 4 oil change cycles with the same effect every time. Ran like a champ on fresh oil, ran like crap at 5000 miles. It's just my opinion but I wouldn't run it in my diesel. The same truck didn't do it with Amsoil.

#30 ·
Mobil Delvac and Fleetguard Stratapore :thumbsup

I would say as long as you stick with AMSOIL, Royal Purple, Shell Rotella T, Mobil Delva or synthetic..and a good filter like Amsoil EAO, Donaldson, Baldwin or Fleeguard you will be fine :beer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.