93 cummins will not prime. Please help - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
93 cummins will not prime. Please help

I have a 1993 CTD W250 that was sitting for about a month due to a problem with the battery. I have now solved that problem, but the truck will not crank. It doesn't seem to be getting fuel. I have tried hand pumping the lift pump & tried the bleed screw & cracked the lines. I have fuel coming from 4 of the 6 lines, but can't get fuel to come out of the last two. I have spent the past 6 hours trying everything I know to get fuel so the truck will crank.

Can anybody give me any other advice to help? I'm sorry I don't know a lot about these engines, so if there is any other information I need to post please let me know.

The truck was running great when parked & has a little over half a tank of diesel in it.

Thanks

Brian
93MSCummins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I'd change the filter......make sure battery is good and charged....hold the pedal to the floor as you turn it over and see if it will then...you might have to keep starter engaged for awhile?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
chargin72 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

I put a brand new battery on it and had the throttle to the floor each time I tried to crank it. I will try the filter the next time I have time to work on it.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2014, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

do the injectors that are getting fuel, squirting fuel?
Old 02-17-2014, 10:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

When you tried to bleed the filter did anything come out?

When you was trying to bleed the injectors did you open all of them?

Is your FSS wire on and getting voltage with the key on?

97 2500 4X4 auto DDP 40 HP injectors, no 8 fuel plate, homemade 3" intake horn, BD converter, BHAF, electric cooling fan
9297oldram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was only able to get air bubbles out of the bleed screw. The 4 injector lines that were getting fuel had a good stream of fuel, but I never did get fuel to even seep out of the other two. The FSS had a good connection & voltage was good. I still don't think I was getting fuel pressure since I was only getting air from the bleed screw.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

As long as your getting air bubbles out the bleeder you won't get it to start. Either your low on fuel, broken or cracked fuel line or the fuel module is bad.

Once you can manually pump the Lp and get no air bubbles out the bleeder then you can start bleeding the injectors. Until then all your doing is filling the IP with air.

97 2500 4X4 auto DDP 40 HP injectors, no 8 fuel plate, homemade 3" intake horn, BD converter, BHAF, electric cooling fan
Old 02-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

if its just a stream, they should be squirting to the fenders....Id still change filter and if that dont do it then lift pump might be done
Old 02-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargin72 View Post
if its just a stream, they should be squirting to the fenders....Id still change filter and if that dont do it then lift pump might be done
Until he gets his air in the fuel problem fixed changing the filter or LP isn't going to change anything.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Just to be clear. I first tried cracking open the bleed screw and manually pumping the lift pump. After about 200 pumps it started to blow bubbles. Then after about 200 more pumps it quit, but no fuel ever came out. I continued to pump it until I had pumped 1,100 times total, and yes I counted. At this point I had not noticed any change (no air bubbles and no fuel leaking from the bleed screw).

Right or wrong, I moved to the injector lines and cracked them open 1 at a time and was able to get fuel out of 4 of the 6. I then decided to open all of them and got the same result as opening one at a time.

While 4 of the 6 were squirting fuel, it definitely did not have enough pressure to spray to the fender as someone above stated it should.

I was off work yesterday afternoon and spent about 6 hours doing all of this. I'm not sure when I'll get another chance to work on it. But when I do where do you suggest I start back? Should I go back to the bleed screw and pump until fuel comes out of the bleed screw?

I appreciate the help and will post any changes to the situation.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

If you pumped the LP 1,100 times and no fuel came out the bleeder for the filter then you have a problem.

No fuel in the tank.
Bad LP.
Plugged fuel filter.
Broken or cracked fuel line.
Problem with the fuel tank module.

After about 10 pumps you should have had fuel coming out the bleeder for the filter.

Until your getting fuel out the bleeder all your doing is pushing air into the IP with what little fuel was in there. When the filter is full of fuel then it will come out the bleeder.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

That was what I was afraid you would say. I was just hoping everything was ok since it was running fine when I parked it.

Since I know the fuel tank has over a half a tank of diesel in it, is there a way to narrow down the other four items on your list?

Should I just change the fuel filter to eliminate it?

This is my first diesel, much less 1st Gen Cummins so I'm learning as I go. I've had the truck a little over two years with very few problems, but I was able to solve them by reading these forums. This time I finally joined the forum and I appreciate your patience with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.