Clutch problems - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Clutch problems

Okay guys here it goes,

I put a new Valiar DD in about july 15th. Since this time I have had a problem with the clutch not disengaging completly. At first it was just on start up it would give it a slight jolt, but as time has gone on it will not let go all the way at any time. When I leave it in gear it will move even with the pedal to the floor. untill you press the brakes then it will slip. I called Valiar and the dont know what to tell me. I replaced both the slave and master(oe parts). I lengthened both shafts to varying degrees with no sucess. I also put a puller between the slave mount and the fork and pushed the fork back as far as it would go. This worked. The truck would go into every gear without moving.
So I think the problem is that the fork is not being forced back far enough, but I dont know how to do this without puting to much pressure on it when the clutch is engaged. Any ideas? Josh
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

nothing?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK12valve View Post
When I leave it in gear it will move even with the pedal to the floor. untill you press the brakes then it will slip.

Brake pedal is what makes the difference..........this tells me your bushings are wore.

Does your clutch pedal have any side to side movement? When it is fully released can you move the clutch pedal up further?
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/12, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220mustang - 11/16/2013

www.TheHungryDiesel.com We Specialize In 1st Gen Performance!If you don't see it, please ask
(208)215-5659 call/txt
RCCUMMINS89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

What I meant was when i press the brakes it would bog the engine down till the clutch slipped. Which tells me the clutch is just barley touching. no movement in the pedal
Old 10-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I have found that the Dodge clutch master/slave cyl did work at all well when re-used after installing new clutch. I could not shift into any gear with the truck running using the original clutch hydraulics. I replaced the original with OEM hydraulics and could not get the trans into 1st with the engine running and 2nd to 5th were hard while running. I finally solve the problem after talking with Peter at SBC - he suggested one of their HD 2nd Gen clutch master/slave setup which solved my problem. He also told me that he had various length push rods between the slave cyl and throwout bearing setup if I needed them. The price was similar to the Dodge setup but was heavy duty.

I would suggest you call Valiar and see if the can supply you with something similar.

Bob
1993 4X2 14cm WG, PDRHX35, ATS P&P Exh,DD3+ injectors, "Green HP" A/F, 15% ++ pump, with Denny T StageII fuel Pin, Horton Fan, NV4500HD ,BD Exh Brake, 4" Rip Rook exh, 3200GSK, Snow W/M stage 3, 394 RWHP 880+ torque. 441/889 on W/M.
Bob Beauchaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK12valve View Post
Okay guys here it goes,

I put a new Valiar DD in about july 15th. Since this time I have had a problem with the clutch not disengaging completly. At first it was just on start up it would give it a slight jolt, but as time has gone on it will not let go all the way at any time. When I leave it in gear it will move even with the pedal to the floor. untill you press the brakes then it will slip. I called Valiar and the dont know what to tell me. I replaced both the slave and master(oe parts). I lengthened both shafts to varying degrees with no sucess. I also put a puller between the slave mount and the fork and pushed the fork back as far as it would go. This worked. The truck would go into every gear without moving.
So I think the problem is that the fork is not being forced back far enough, but I dont know how to do this without puting to much pressure on it when the clutch is engaged. Any ideas? Josh
I'm having the same problem but my clutch is very tired, I just assumed the clutch or flywheel was worn out and making plans to change it. After reading I think I'll upgrade the hydraulics first.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
TWT
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCUMMINS89 View Post
Brake pedal is what makes the difference..........this tells me your bushings are wore.

Does your clutch pedal have any side to side movement? When it is fully released can you move the clutch pedal up further?
I am having almost the same problem. It shifts hard & when at a stop it will keep moving forward until brake is applied. My clutch pedal sits about an inch or two lower than the brake pedal. When its fully released I can move it to where its even with the brake pedal & it does have side to side movement.

Any suggestions? Not trying to steal thread, just desperate to get my baby fixed!!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Pull everything apart and make an adjustable rod.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/12, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220mustang - 11/16/2013

www.TheHungryDiesel.com We Specialize In 1st Gen Performance!If you don't see it, please ask
(208)215-5659 call/txt
Old 03-31-2014, 02:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I had the same issue.. Turns out the linckage u dear the dash where the master comes through the firewall and clips through to the clutch pedal.. The bushing was gone ... Over time metal on.meteal made the hole bigger and I was not gettig the full throw on my clutch to disenguage it ... Welded the hole up a bit ..put a brand new rubber bushing in it... Shifts smooth now
Riley5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 09:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
TWT
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley5150 View Post
I had the same issue.. Turns out the linckage u dear the dash where the master comes through the firewall and clips through to the clutch pedal.. The bushing was gone ... Over time metal on.meteal made the hole bigger and I was not gettig the full throw on my clutch to disenguage it ... Welded the hole up a bit ..put a brand new rubber bushing in it... Shifts smooth now
That was the exact same problem I had. Real easy fix, & my truck shifts so smooth now!

1992 Ext Cab D-350 5 Speed. Pump turned up, 4" turbo back straight. TEXAS COAL ROLLERS!!
Old 04-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

yup i also had a bad bushing under the dash, bought the new master and when i went to install noticed that, oops. but new parts are cool too
Old 04-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

What did you guys new for a new bushing?

(208)215-5659 call/txt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.