Valve body mod and/or shift kit - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Valve body mod and/or shift kit

What modification can be made to my 47RH valve body to make it perform better? What will it do over stock? Is it a simple operation?

Will a shift kit install take the place of a valve body mod? Or should they go together?

Any links to any how-to writeups will be appreciated.

My tranny is not broken, just itching to do something :-)
77 Dodge Xplorer 307 Frank Ind 26-ft 4x4 Class A Motorhome 1st Gen '93 Cummins swapped in, 47RH/NP241, stock turbo, PS intercooler, ground fuel pin, starwheel, fuel screw turned, 366 spring, BHAF, M&H DTA, 4" downpipe, DNA muffler, ARB Lockers, 17500# winch.

Last edited by ClassA4x4; 02-08-2013 at 01:41 PM.
ClassA4x4 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I'm not aware of any valvebody mods that are not shift kit installs. I've seen installation ready valvebody's that they advertise as being modded, but those are just valvebodies where they've installed the shift kit. The mods they did was to install the shift kit.

The Transgo shift kit will firm up the shifts and time them more precisely. The 2-3 shift involves releasing the band while applying the direct clutch. They finetune that critical balance to make for a cleaner shift.

The kit gives you some options as to the firmness of shift when you're installing. It also gives you a new manual valve which allows converter fill in Park. Go to their website and read up on their advertising blurb. Tells you exactly what it does. There are others, but I've been using theirs forever and I like them. When I was doing transmissions on a regular basis, back in the 70's and 80's, almost every th350 got one of their kits. They had one that wasn't intended solely as a product for a high performance cars. It just cleaned up the sloppy shifting inherent in the transmissions and turned them into one of the nicest shifting transmissions you will find. So I stuck with them.

The kit comes with extensive step by step instructions. Pretty hard to go wrong, although I've heard it does happen . You read through it thoroughly, work in a clean area and take your time. I like to wash the valvebody before I take them apar(split so the separator plate is out and you're looking at the maze), then remove only one spool at a time.

Not hard, just a little time consuming.

Steve g
Old 02-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

As usual, big thanks Steve.

So then i'm thinking the way to do it is:
1) get the Transgo shift kit,
2) drain the tranny and separate the valve body,
3) seal the transmission from dust, etc.,
4) Work on installing the shift kit inside the man cave / clean room
5) reinstall the upgraded valve body in the tranny,
6) fill, adjust and test drive.

How long does #4 take, normally?
77 Dodge Xplorer 307 Frank Ind 26-ft 4x4 Class A Motorhome 1st Gen '93 Cummins swapped in, 47RH/NP241, stock turbo, PS intercooler, ground fuel pin, starwheel, fuel screw turned, 366 spring, BHAF, M&H DTA, 4" downpipe, DNA muffler, ARB Lockers, 17500# winch.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I think it takes me about an hour to an hour and a half once the vb's on the bench. I guess I just consider it time consuming because when you look at the little bag of parts you think it should take 15 mins to throw them in. But I reread every paragraph as I'm doing it, wash out the bore with brake cleaner, blow it all out well, apply some clean fluid to the spools etc. I especially read and reread the part where you drill a hole in the vb to make sure I'm absolutely certain I'm in the right place.

I don't mind doing the vb work. I could do without the part where you remove it from the trans in the vehicle and the oil drips in your face and runs down your shift sleeve into your armpit. That's why I waited until I had to do my trans to install the shift kit. It's pretty easy when the trans is upside down on my stand.

Steve g
Old 02-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

the company revmax builds their own valve bodies and makes their own shift kits. they claim that whatever they do will make less aggressive shifts. google them, they are a good company and after the crap that happened to me I give them an A+++ for customer service and tech support
Old 02-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Steve g has summed up my thoughts about using TransGo stuff.

I will add to it though, . . .

Call the folks at TransGo and speak with one of their techs. Explaining to them what you have, and what you plan on doing with it, will result in them giving you information specific to your application. They may in fact, steer you toward a particular "Kit" so as not to have you spend money on stuff you're not gonna need.
The Following User Says Thank You to BC847 For This Useful Post:
ClassA4x4 (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Last question:

Once the proper shift kit is installed, does a specific torque converter need to be MATCHED to the shift kit? Should I get a TC now or later?
Old 02-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassA4x4 View Post
Last question:

Once the proper shift kit is installed, does a specific torque converter need to be MATCHED to the shift kit? Should I get a TC now or later?
No, the trans functions don't care what converter is in frt of it. However, if I were contemplating removing the trans to do a tc change I would take that opportunity to do the shift kit while the trans is out. See my earlier post about trans fluid in eyes and armpits.

Steve g
Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckens View Post
the company revmax builds their own valve bodies and makes their own shift kits. they claim that whatever they do will make less aggressive shifts. google them, they are a good company and after the crap that happened to me I give them an A+++ for customer service and tech support

If they build their own valvebodies, why are there core charges on the valve bodies they sell?

These are oe valve bodies with shift kits added. And I would bet dollars to donuts that if it's their own shift kit they are copied from someone else's. There are very few companies that actually do the r&d to develop their own shift kits.

Steve g
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.