How do I test a vacuum pump? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
How do I test a vacuum pump?

The truck in question is a 93 W350. The problems are:
1. A/C, heater and defrost controls don't work. No matter where the setting is, the air blows out the dash vents. Pushing heat or defrost doesn't change anything.
2. Heater control valve doesn't operate properly. Pushing the A/C button should close the valve, heat/defrost should open it. The valve stays closed no matter what has been selected (A/C, heat). I unplugged the vacuum line to it which allowed the valve to open for heat.
3. ABS dash light on. I don't know if this could be a vacuum problem or not. I just unplugged it behind the glovebox.

Now the kicker is, the brakes work perfectly, no issues whatsoever. So I'm trying to eliminate the vacuum pump as the problem. Looked at a bunch of threads but couldn't find any on testing the pump. My problem might be a bad A/C, heat, defrost control panel...or it might be something else entirely. Any and all suggestions are much appreciated.
Thanks, Bill
bill-d-c is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

If you have power brake assist you've already eliminated the pump. There are a couple of methods of diagnosing from here. You can start at the controls and check for vacuum there . Harder to get at but will confirm that you don't have a vacuum source for the controls. Or you can follow the line from the point it crosses the firewall back to it's it's connection to the vacuum source. Or you could follow the vacuum line from the pump and look for the point that the accessory line taps off.

Steve g
Old 02-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
If you have power brake assist you've already eliminated the pump. There are a couple of methods of diagnosing from here. You can start at the controls and check for vacuum there . Harder to get at but will confirm that you don't have a vacuum source for the controls. Or you can follow the line from the point it crosses the firewall back to it's it's connection to the vacuum source. Or you could follow the vacuum line from the pump and look for the point that the accessory line taps off.

Steve g
Thanks Steve. I had a hunch that with the brakes working, it probably wasn't the pump, but I wanted someone that knew for sure to tell me. These vacuum lines that go into and out of the control panel are super small (as I'm sure you know). I've unplugged a couple of them from the actuators by just dropping down the glovebox door. I can't feel any vacuum on them, but like I said, their so small I don't know if I would be able to. I bought a replacement panel from a bone yard (out of a 92), I guess the thing to do is just take out the dash face and try to see if anything obvious jumps out at me.
Bill
Old 02-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I'd actually start at the other end. If you can't feel vacuum at any of the openings at the control valve end of the lines the problem is going to be at the other end. Start under the hood and follow the hose from the pump to the booster and check all the takeoffs there. You should be able to see the small hard line somewhere near there.

Steve g
Old 02-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

OK, I'll do that. Am I going to actually be able to feel vacuum on these small lines? Is there a single line that goes from the booster into the panel itself? I've looked under the dash and I do see a bundle, almost like a harness of vacuum lines. I assume there is a single source coming from the booster. I'm sure this will make more sense once I get into it. Thanks again.
Bill
Old 02-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Yes, you will be able to feel vacuum in the small lines (unless your fingers are a lot more calloused than mine) and yes, there is a single line that is the vacuum source. It is a hard plastic line and often gets man handled and broken under the hood. I'm sure once you start looking for it this will become very clear.

Steve g

Edit. The other section that frequently gets broken is the t fitting itself.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Can't thank you enough for this information. Going to watch the Super Bowl today, might tear into it tomorrow. I'm just glad it's not the pump. I know you can get rebuild kits from Gould (I think), but I've never tore into one of those either. If I get into it and have questions I might PM you if that's OK. I'm hoping it's pretty straight forward though.
Bill
Old 02-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Rebuilding the pump is straight forward and not bad at all .
Old 02-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Mines probably OK, but where do you go to get the kit? Never know when that might go out.
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.