allison 545 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
CF Chapter President

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
allison 545

so i have a chance to buy a rebuilt allison 545 tranny. he said it was rebuilt and a new convertor in it as well. is $750 a good price for it? and i pm'd 1st gen 545 but no reply yet. but i was wondering what all is involved in this swap? thanks
Sold 93' Dodge W250 VE'D, 7x.014's, PS64
Banghart Diesel & S&S customs
iowacummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
1ST GEN MODERATOR

Thanked 1,270 Times in 1,050 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
The 545 was never offered in 4x4. So you would need a divorced transfer case to start with.

The 545 does not have a over drive. It does not have a lockup converter eather.

If it doesn't have the engine adapter and flywheel and starter with it. I wouldn't give that for a 545 eather rebuilt or not.
93 W350 DRW, fuel pin turned, 6X.018" injectors, 4" exhaust, 3" air intake horn, Super HX40/16, G56 SBC Con-OFE, 3:07's axles, 2" skyjacker lift, B&W flatbed
Philip is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
This account not in use anymore!!

those things are also pretty big. be a squeeze in a Dodge.
wtfd6 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
CF Chapter President

oh i thought it was a lock up converter in them but never mind. well i guess i will just keep looking for a 47 rh. thanks for the facts. is there any other tranny thats a good swap in these trucks?
Old 03-30-2008, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

You sure they're not lock-up converters, Philip?

I remember somebody saying they were. Are they like A518's and come in non-lock-up as well as lock-up?
Old 03-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
1ST GEN MODERATOR

Thanked 1,270 Times in 1,050 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
I do not know if the latest model 545's have a lockup. If they do I have not seen one in person. The newest vehicle I have looked at with one in it was a 2002 model. It was not a lockup converter. The only wiring connection was a backup light switch. It was external mounted connected by a piece of linkage.

A 47 RH would be the easest swap into our year trucks.
93 W350 DRW, fuel pin turned, 6X.018" injectors, 4" exhaust, 3" air intake horn, Super HX40/16, G56 SBC Con-OFE, 3:07's axles, 2" skyjacker lift, B&W flatbed
Philip is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2008, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
This account not in use anymore!!

and the RH will give overdrive as well.
wtfd6 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 12:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
CF Chapter President

does anyone know where to look for or get a 47 rh?
Old 03-31-2008, 01:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Sorry I have not got back to you yet. Most 545 are non=lockup but there are a few that do. They are all 4spd non-overdrive. They also have no Park thats why it has a brake on the out put or you can use your E-brake. I have the hard to find and $$$$ driver side starter #3SAE flywheel housing pass side starter are easy to find and cheep but get in the way of the exhaust. I rebuilt mine and had most of the parts cryo'ed. I built a Fully manual valve body that was never offered so that I had 100% control over how and when it shifted. I also cut the converter open and reworked it with a diff stater for a very low stall. My setup was built for sled pulling but I guess I was doing to good and beating to many 2nd and 3rd Gen's with way more $$$ in there rigs because the baned the use of any trans that was not offered in a 1ton or smaller. I was the only one running one so I guess it was directed at me. The bolt pattern is the same Diameter as the dodge but the flywheel housing is 5" thick and the stock is 1 1/2". So I had to put a 3" body lift to clear the flywheel housing but other than that I would have fit fine. there is no automotive trans that has clutches, shafts, drums or any thing else that is even close to this thing it is just over 350lbs dry and with my huge cooler, 1/2 ID lines and remote spin on oil filter it held 9gal of oil with the shallow pan I could put another gal in with the deep pan.. I made my own 1410 u-joint out put yoke and ran a divorced 205 with 32spline input and out put's with 1410 u-joints front and rear. That's what the dodge's came with in the rear. The front and rear shafts were the same lengh so I only needed 1 spare and the f&r t-case yokes are the same and the Dana 60&70 also use the same yoke so I only needed 1 of each for spares.

It pulled very well with 295's and would do OK on the high way with the 3.54 gears and 38x15.50's. But with the rule change I went back to a NV4500 like I had and will have to part with all the Allison stuff but It wont go cheep almost every thing is new and or one of a kind custom parts and the trans has been gone threw and put on the shelf till I get what I want.

But here are some pics and vids of it. The good ol days. In the vids you can here it shift all the way to 4th and here those straight cut gears wine:thumbsup I was starting in 2nd gear most of the time because I didn't need 1st it was a 4:1 (lower than almost any auto)

I hope I did not get to caryed away but i figured this was better that posting 20 times or sending 20 PM's to people. If any one has any other ??? just let me know.

How many people leave a black spot on the ground from there exhaust that is 3ft off the ground and boil 38x15.50s with 3.54's starting in 2nd gear and going up to 4th?

This is no one wheel peel. Locked rear

YouTube - 1stGen 545 sled Pull

YouTube - 1st Dodge Cummins Burnout 2

YouTube - 1st gen burnout
92 W350 ,4X4, NV4500 (Had Allison 545) pump maxed, and DennyT Puller pin HX35/40-14cm, 5" turbo back exhaust, 96 ex-cab 2500 4X4, 5spd,to many mods to list, 08 Inferno Red QC, SB, 2500, 4X4, 6.7, 68RFE 6spd auto, EDGE ATTITUDE, 305 BFG KM II's More to come
1stGen545 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 10:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Gentlemen, I think we found a new resident transmission expert...
Old 03-31-2008, 12:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
First Generation Moderator

I have a boat load of 545's here at the school and none are lock-up. That came with my 2000 series.

My 545's run really hot and don't seem to hold up too well. A slightly modded VE pump with 185's will wreck one is a school bus. The tail pipe never stops smoking, so I'd assume a school bus is a pretty heafty load, 30,000 # GVWR

....therefore, my brothers, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Acts 13:38
Greenleaf is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 12:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I've got a 73 carpenter bus [ Cal. forestry fire crew ] with a Cat 3208 , Alison 545 , it has 5 spds , there is a park position on the shifter .
94 SLT 4x4 2500 LB AT 3:54 KDP jigged MBRP 4" DiPricol T temp boost EGT Centramatics DSS adj track bar kit 245HP 597TQ Amsoil 15-40 DualByPass
bio diesel
johntf is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.