DIY Propane Injection. - Page 4 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #37 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by W350_1992 View Post
Subscribing! BTW, nice write up Jossi.

I have some old regulator stuff from an old tractor that ran off propane, would I be able to use it in a setup somehow? Im not sure yet but I think its a propane conversion for a gasser, so the pressure would be too high and i'd require another regulator?
You can run 1 regulator, if its setup to run propane on a internal combustion engine....just use a microswitch to trigger it a little above idle.
Remember, less than a psi, we're concentrating on burning that 20 someodd percent of unburned diesel, making our trucks be pushed by that, instead of just rolling it out the exhaust.
I know some of these are tripped by vacuum, not to worry there, there are the 12 volt vacuum solenoids that were used on the older cars too....all you have to do is adapt them....

Yes, possibly another regulator. If that one is adjustable. Remember, our trucks run off diesel, we're just adding a small amount to help us unleash the extra BTU, burning the charge completely in the cylinders, getting better milage.
Some guys will be using it for performance....I use it for milage...

All you have to do is have a simple system....nothing complicated....

Last edited by Jossi; 11-27-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Jossi is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Jossi For This Useful Post:
W350_1992 (11-27-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #38 (permalink)

Thanked 1,024 Times in 966 Posts
I ran my tank of fuel with the propane fogger for about 1/2 the tank, my MPG's wasn't better but half the miles it was on I pulled a trailer and it was winter time.

Also I found out not to buy a china made regulator that was supposed to be a 1 PSI, when I put a gauge in the end of it it wouldn't even move the gauge. So I had a spare acetylene regulator and put it on and set it at 1 PSI and at idle it sped it up about 40 RPM's. So I adjusted the regulator to just where the idle speed just started to go up.

So now that I have a full tank of fuel, a full tank of propane and adjusted so that it works i'll see how this tank of fuel does. Normally in the winter I get about 23 MPG.

97 2500 4X4 auto DDP 40 HP injectors, no 8 fuel plate, homemade 3" intake horn, BD converter, BHAF, electric cooling fan
9297oldram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #39 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Yea, it'll take you longer to get it set....its a good simple addon. Gradually turn it up till you can feel it going down the road....it'll have a little more pep, and you'll notice you don't have to push the accelerator down near as much going up a hill....

Last edited by Jossi; 01-09-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Jossi is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Jossi For This Useful Post:
koya (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #40 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

My apologies reviving this post, but I've been searching and searching for this type of post discussin this process. I've been playing with hydrogen on demad for sometime now, it works but it takes amps to make the LPM I need. Hence, I started to read up on how to make a simple system to inject propane into the intake to assist diesel combustion.

This post and the write up by Jossi is by far the most impormtive on this MOD I've read on the net. Thank you. I just order a 12v valve to turn the pressure on and off by a switch on the brake pedal. I'll share photos once I get the entire system built and install.

I am currently burning WMO on my 2012 3500 with great result, just want to make the turck more efficient. Nothing like a 1 ton truck for daily driver and gets better mileage than your average mid size car.
1996 2500 12Valve SLT laramie #10 fuel plate, 16 degree timing and 4" SS Cat Back Exhaust and Hydrogen on Demand (HOD). Future MOD Water Injection (WI).
koya is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #41 (permalink)

Thanked 1,024 Times in 966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koya View Post
My apologies reviving this post, but I've been searching and searching for this type of post discussin this process. I've been playing with hydrogen on demad for sometime now, it works but it takes amps to make the LPM I need. Hence, I started to read up on how to make a simple system to inject propane into the intake to assist diesel combustion.

This post and the write up by Jossi is by far the most impormtive on this MOD I've read on the net. Thank you. I just order a 12v valve to turn the pressure on and off by a switch on the brake pedal. I'll share photos once I get the entire system built and install.

I am currently burning WMO on my 2012 3500 with great result, just want to make the turck more efficient. Nothing like a 1 ton truck for daily driver and gets better mileage than your average mid size car.
I just wired mine up on a adjustable boost switch.

97 2500 4X4 auto DDP 40 HP injectors, no 8 fuel plate, homemade 3" intake horn, BD converter, BHAF, electric cooling fan
9297oldram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #42 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:

you have fallen for one scam, H2O conversion by electrolysis. now your trying to waste your money on propane?
propane is for power, don't let someone fool you that you will get more mpg.
sure, you get more MPg, and burn propane instead. propane is less dense per gallon, 74,000btu if i remember, and diesel i think is 128,000.
thats from memory, but do not believe the "mixing diesel and (super secret other fuel) makes diesel burn more completely...
trust me, i am a genius.
maximum thermal efficiency is maximum thermal efficiency.
adding propane, H2, methane, acetylene, pure Oxygen, co2, methanol, nitro, natural gas, banana juice, blood from a young bull, or 2cycle oil, will do nothing to change that.
scoobert is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #43 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Scoobert have you tried it ? I have a friend running a chevy with cummins in it that gets 21 mpg and 25 with propane. It runs all around better I am I the process of puting it on my first gen.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #44 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
you have fallen for one scam, H2O conversion by electrolysis. now your trying to waste your money on propane?
propane is for power, don't let someone fool you that you will get more mpg.
sure, you get more MPg, and burn propane instead. propane is less dense per gallon, 74,000btu if i remember, and diesel i think is 128,000.
thats from memory, but do not believe the "mixing diesel and (super secret other fuel) makes diesel burn more completely...
trust me, i am a genius.
maximum thermal efficiency is maximum thermal efficiency.
adding propane, H2, methane, acetylene, pure Oxygen, co2, methanol, nitro, natural gas, banana juice, blood from a young bull, or 2cycle oil, will do nothing to change that.
If you're such an expert on this subject, then you can explain to me how my 2012 MPG jumped from 11.7 mpg to 17.7mpg average driving on the same road with my HOD onboard. I am surprise for an expect you did not commented wasting my money running WMO on such a new engine. But for being an expert you rather pay the 4.00 plus per gallon D2 these days, why experiment with going cheaper on paying .69 cent per gal when mixing WMO and RUG 80/20. I guess being expert you have the deep pocket, I'm just 'shade tree mechanical engineer what do I know.

Those of you trying or already running with this process, thank you for sharing your insight. I take my hat off to you for trying to make diesel fuel more efficient. Especially this new Low sulfur stuff.
1996 2500 12Valve SLT laramie #10 fuel plate, 16 degree timing and 4" SS Cat Back Exhaust and Hydrogen on Demand (HOD). Future MOD Water Injection (WI).
koya is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #45 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhauler View Post
Scoobert have you tried it ? I have a friend running a chevy with cummins in it that gets 21 mpg and 25 with propane. It runs all around better I am I the process of puting it on my first gen.
i am sure it goes more miles on diesel. at the cost of propane. the math does not work out to a savings.

EDIT unless you get the kit for free, and get propane close to port cost of $0.79 a gallon(last time i cared to check)

Last edited by scoobert; 05-11-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #46 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
If you're such an expert on this subject, then you can explain to me how my 2012 MPG jumped from 11.7 mpg to 17.7mpg average driving on the same road with my HOD onboard. I am surprise for an expect you did not commented wasting my money running WMO on such a new engine. But for being an expert you rather pay the 4.00 plus per gallon D2 these days, why experiment with going cheaper on paying .69 cent per gal when mixing WMO and RUG 80/20. I guess being expert you have the deep pocket, I'm just 'shade tree mechanical engineer what do I know.

Those of you trying or already running with this process, thank you for sharing your insight. I take my hat off to you for trying to make diesel fuel more efficient. Especially this new Low sulfur stuff.
wait, you actually got 11.7mpg empty? thats laughable. 17-20 is average for these trucks when your not on monster truck tires.

as far as running an on-board Hydrogen generator that makes bubbles in water, AKA reformer, it takes more power to make the lazy mixture of oxygen, hydrogen, carbon dioxide, then it produces. you sir have purchased snake oil.
i have this neat thingy that makes your truck get 300 mph. wanna buy it, send $1000 to my paypal, and i will send it, you put a magic magnet on your fuel line, and wa-la. LOL!!!!
seriously, you have been duped. now remove it from your truck and restore your higher MPG. try it for a week, you will be shocked.

these have been tested, and found to be fake. i suggest you sue whoever sold it to you.
if you want i can put the second law of thermodynamics into small words for you.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #47 (permalink)
Diesel Head

you could always use the system i know that would work...
take your reformer, and a compressor and tank,
use a few solar cells (1000watts)
and make your brown gas that way.
then you can see a super small mpg increase, and it should only cost you like $5000
worth it for the $50 in fuel you will save over the life of your engine...

now for real world hyper miler stuff.
eliminate your alternator, change your waterpump to an electric one,
add solar to the roof, dont drive at night btw, get rid of your power steering and power brakes, tape up your grill, wheels, door seams, hood seams, remove your cooling fan, replace with an electric one, and you can get round about 28-30 mpg. and dont ever go over 50mph.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #48 (permalink)
Diesel Head

The things people will fall for never ceases to amaze me. The conspiracy theorists with the oil companies' plots to conceal fuel saving technology. It's been going on since cars first took to the roads. I'm old, and I remember hearing the stories about the guy that invented a carburetor that doubled your mileage. I remember in the 70's when emission controls first hit hard. The manufacturers had leaned the idle mixtures way out and increased throttle opening to get them to run. I remember someone selling this device that you put in line on the fuel line to the carb. It routed a heater hose through a coil in the fuel line so the coolant heated the fuel. They would plug it in and illustrate how it smoothed the engine out and resulted in an increase in rpm. Of course all that it did was boil the fuel in the bowl and cause fuel vapour to enter the air stream through the bowl vent, thereby overcoming the manufacturers lean burn settings.

You don't have to do the analysis and calculations on this one. If there could be shown to be a net benefit every highway truck on the road would be running it. These guys spend in excess of $150,000 per year per truck on fuel. A 10% savings is $15,000 each and every year.

There is no free lunch.

Steve g
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.