4BT Lift Pump Piston type vs. Diaphragm - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
4BT Lift Pump Piston type vs. Diaphragm

I have a 4bt (2002 Reman by cummins) that has a diaphragm lift pump. I am going to swap it into a f150 and run WVO. It has been suggested that I blank off the diaphragm pump and use a seperate FASS pump. i have located the piston type pump by delphi that looks like it would be a direct bolt up replacement.

Anyone have any experience with this? I have also read of a viton diaphragm for the stock lift pump on my 4BT? Any suggestions? My last thought would be in regard to the piston lift pump-- if it doesn't have viton seals would i be any better off?
brobrad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 1,000 Times in 944 Posts
The only difference between a 4BT and a 6BT is the back 2 cylinders are cut off, so most parts are interchangeable. Since your 4BT has a diaphragm LP you must have a VE IP?

You can use the low pressure piston pump but might want to regulate it so you don't blow the IP seals out. I would suggest using the stock pump and put a fuel pressure gauge on it, along with a new filter and see what your pressure is. I would say the LP should be between 3-5 psi. I was reading on a Mercedes diesel site about people using WVO and they suggested a Facet Posi-flo 60301 electric pump it held up good with the WVO.

97 2500 4X4 auto DDP 40 HP injectors, no 8 fuel plate, homemade 3" intake horn, BD converter, BHAF, electric cooling fan
9297oldram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9297oldram View Post
The only difference between a 4BT and a 6BT is the back 2 cylinders are cut off, so most parts are interchangeable. Since your 4BT has a diaphragm LP you must have a VE IP?

You can use the low pressure piston pump but might want to regulate it so you don't blow the IP seals out. I would suggest using the stock pump and put a fuel pressure gauge on it, along with a new filter and see what your pressure is. I would say the LP should be between 3-5 psi. I was reading on a Mercedes diesel site about people using WVO and they suggested a Facet Posi-flo 60301 electric pump it held up good with the WVO.
Correct the injection pump is a VE. I've read that the lift pump max should be about 12 psi. The piston type Lift is a 2nd gen pump, but i believe it will fit the 1st gen stuff. I've got a 6bt as well and would swap them both over at the same time. What kind of regulator are you refering to? Does it have a built in bypass to prevent over pressuring it or what?
Old 04-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 1,000 Times in 944 Posts
I'm talking about a fuel pressure regulator like you would get at Summit or Jegs that you would use to regulate the fuel pressure.

The 2nd gen lift pump will put out over 25 PSI and the pressure is regulated at the IP with a bypass valve regulated at 25PSI. You can get a low pressure piston pump like the 2nd gen's that a few people use on there 1st gens I think it puts out around 15 PSI.

Since your wanting to use it on a 4BT it might be to much fuel for only 4 cyls. The 1st gens stock LP is rated at 3-5 PSI. which is i'm sure the 4bt is.

97 2500 4X4 auto DDP 40 HP injectors, no 8 fuel plate, homemade 3" intake horn, BD converter, BHAF, electric cooling fan
9297oldram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I've been running bio in my 6bt and 4bt for years, the stock diaphram lp only lasted a few hundred miles, the low pressure piston lp was originally used in the 4bt with a p-pump which is what my 4bt has, i put one on my 6bt w/VE and its been working great, been almost 2 years, the only problem i have now is the fuel shut off solenoid has a rubber tip that gets eaten up by the bio, takes a while but it happens.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

The delphi low pressure piston lift pump that dap and ofi sells are for a 4bt mine is 12 psi at idle

Sent from my DROIDX
Old 04-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparbubba View Post
The delphi low pressure piston lift pump that dap and ofi sells are for a 4bt mine is 12 psi at idle

Sent from my DROIDX
So is 12 psi within an acceptable range that won't cause any problems?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Yea 15 psi can be ran on a ve and it not be damaged beyond that you can push out the front seal

Sent from my DROIDX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.