About ready to shoot every getrag I see. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
About ready to shoot every getrag I see.

So I had a bad 3rd gear synchro in my 90 which I dealt with for 10 months but now this 93 with 191k Km on it is making me mad. This thing will hardly shift when cold. Once everything warms up from about 5 minutes of idling it before I fire it up in the morning or 10 minutes driving. I dunno what fluid is in there yet but it likes to pop outta 5th I guess. Never used 5th yet with the 35's on it and you gotta hold the shifter in reverse or it pops out. Dad said when he drove it in 5th it popped out twice. Could it be a top cover problem, oil to thick or a combination of the two? I've also read about there is two springs in the shifter base that breaking and cause hard shifting. Could this also be a possibility?
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,228 Times in 695 Posts
It's just a guess as i have never had a gutbag, i bet the PO has put 90w in it.

i hope you get it figgered out.

Dar
93 W250, A518, 3.54, DDP 4's, 16cm housing, 60mm Gillett, all pump mods, P/S intercooler, Tim W cooler tubes, carter 4601, 366 spring, denny t pin, homemade BHFF, BHAF, 1/8in bump, 4in DP to 5in , gauges,
1STGENFARMBOY is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

My thoughts as well. I think it may shift better with 5w30 semi synthetic.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman85 View Post
My thoughts as well. I think it may shift better with 5w30 semi synthetic.
Has anybody tried Alisyn ProGear type 1 or 2 in a Getrag tranny?
http://www.aerospacelubricants.com/f...%202%20tds.pdf

We replace 90W in high performance outboards with the 0W (type 1) and get amazing results, as in lower wear, lower temp, and higher power delivery. Of course those gearboxes have no synchronizers. They have either dog clutches, or start in gear.

Still, I suspect the 10W30 version would run great in a Getrag, provided the film strength isn't so high it prevents the synchronizers from working.
j_martin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 01:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

It's been my personal expiriencs that when you have to hold a manual transmission in gear it's not a simple fix. Stackx2 has a getrag in his truck. He's on the second one I believe. His symptoms were similar. I remember driving his truck and it would get stuck in 5th but you could take the stick in any gear you wanted. Yet it would be stuck in 5th.
Not fun in city traffic.
I hope I'm wrong on how serious it is.

Eric
Old 01-25-2012, 02:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

It pops out of gear into neutrol my dad says. It feels like there's nothing but the gears meshed together holding it in 4th gear and reverse does the same. I never had a problem when I drove it in 5th once but I normally keep my hand on the shifter anyway. It's not like you gotta put pressure on it just like you gotta even rest your hand it and it stay in gear.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

this is why i didnt but a getrag truck, never heard anything good about them. i had an 82 halfton that behaved like this when it was cold, i had to let it run for a few minutes to even drive it it felt like the transmission was full of concrete til it was all warmed up. i agree id change that first of all and see if its cured
i use it for its intended purpose as a truck and dont have sms. not all juiced up because its a truck not a race car. tows stuff, hauls stuff, not a heavy duty car. 91 srw aluminum flatbed dump awfulmatic bhaf straight pipe alcans
randomb0b123 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I think i'm going to do that. I Dunno I'd rather have a POC standard then a POC auto.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Popping out of gear is a syncro problem but I would sure check out the fluid. I've used 5W-30 synthetic and I put in an extra quart through the top drivers side PTO cover bolt. It still going strong at 331,000.
Grey Wolf is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I'm going to do that once I get a little cash flow coming in. Job is really slow n I still don't have this 93 done the inspection. It failed for rear shoes yesterday so the guy went over the rest n told me replace the shoes n bring it back in. I'll look at the rear brake shoes you installed n pass it. So I only have to pay one inspection on it instead of two. He saved me 90 bucks luckily. Even with it shut off I can pop into any gear and just rest my hand on the shifter n it will pop outta gear. So I'm thinking maybe the broken springs in the shifter? Either way Imma do the fluid for the time being and pull the PTO covers n look inside at the synchros n stuff and go from there. Going to college in the fall in another province so I may try n find a nv4500 for it soon.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

i wouldnt say the autos in these trucks are bad, i know they cant take alot of power stock and the limiting torque converter issue but theyre pretty good trans, its a big 727 that theyve been using since the 60s. nv4500 would be nice my v10 had it and it shifted smooth and had a great first gear. just make sure you have the 5th gear addressed before you put it in
i use it for its intended purpose as a truck and dont have sms. not all juiced up because its a truck not a race car. tows stuff, hauls stuff, not a heavy duty car. 91 srw aluminum flatbed dump awfulmatic bhaf straight pipe alcans
randomb0b123 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I have 2 getrags u could come put a bullet in for me I slung a bearing and trashed 5th gear I swapped to an nv4500 conversion I bought for $2422 after freight
1993 d/w250 LE 5 speed & 4x4 conversion- s300, 4in custom exhaust, M&H timing spacer, BHAF, Denny T Pump top, Ptroke Coolertubz, 99 Pstroke intercooler, 366 spring, SDX 5x14's (140's) airdog 150gph, 3 piece manifold, pump tuned up and KDP tabbed
rebeldodge1993 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.