Is anyone using a cast iron tail housing on their nv4500 swap? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Is anyone using a cast iron tail housing on their nv4500 swap?

I read a few articles about the cast iron housings being defecting with a bad boring job where the bearing retainer was interfering. However this was only with the np241 transfer cases in the 94-97s. Im tired of seeing little fluid spots everywhere i park from the cracked housing i have along with the fact that no matter how many times or how much RTV i use i cannot get the dang thing to seal at the very bottom. So I need some feed back from those using a np205 with the cast iron housing.
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I just bought one for my truck. Can't tell you anything good or bad just yet. Took it out of box today and painted to match the tranny. Hopefully bolt it up tommorrow!! From just comparing it to the old one it seems like it will be better quality seems to be cnc machined and a lot heavier!!
The Following User Says Thank You to louieburns For This Useful Post:
TheFNG21 (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 11 reviews
I have the cast iron rear housing. I did my swap three years ago and havent had any issues. Knock on wood Here is a pics of mine when I first did the swap. And yes I did install new poly bushings the correct way for the crossmember mounts. I got in a hurry and didnt pay attention when I installed the rubber ones the wrong way.
powerram350 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to powerram350 For This Useful Post:
TheFNG21 (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Where did you get yours?? I happened to run across a fellow on ebay selling them dont know if he has a store or what. Heres the one i got..NV4500 5 speed transmission tailhousing Dodge 4X4 NEW | eBay
Old 07-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 11 reviews
^it was on the tranny when I purchased it from TX. Sorry I couldnt point you in a good direction.
powerram350 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I'm using one on my 4500/205, although it's Chevy stuff. Got it from a guy that's on Ebay...Jr Jeep Parts or something. Sells a lot of NV4500 setups with transfer cases for all sorts of different applications. Knows his stuff and gave me some good specifics on the machining processes he did to clear the shift rails and such. I think it was like 160 bucks and I haven't had a minutes trouble.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.