1991 d250 O/D issues - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
1991 d250 O/D issues

recently acquired a 91' in beautiful shape w. 180,000km ( 112,500 m.) with an A518 auto trans. problemnce the truck reaches operating temp.the overdrive will not stay engaged. Fluid level right on the mark where it should be. what should I be looking at? Truck has had an easy life and was not abused(senior owned) please help if you have any info. thank you.
luckycrow is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

probably tps if you like get into od then it shift in and out type thing tps is very common on these trucks. Also ive heard if your speedo isnt working properly some people have had troubles with the o/d but its probably your tps. You can buy a new tps for $300 + or buy a tps delete from dnr customs lots of guys have started. Thats what im doing. 1st/2nd Generation Dodge TPS Delete Kit *91.5-98 12v* [DNR] - $39.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
93,w250 EC,3.54s,timing bump,pump tuned,CAI,tabed,6 autometer gauges,57/65/14,4''-5''mitre stacks,built trans,cpp 7x10s,dennyt stge 2,plp,6''lift 35''/16's. 97 eclb standard swap and build in the making.
cumminshp is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 02:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

thanks for the direction.I'll be takin' a closer look at the tps and the possibility of a delete kit. FYI new tps was quoted to me for $600.00 at the local dodge dealer. Not an option I want to persue.
Thanks again,
luckycrow
Old 06-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like you might have a temp switch going bad. There are two switches in the OD wiring system. The first is a high temp switch located in the cooling line at the left front of tranny pan. ( I would suspect this one is bad). This one kicks out OD if the fluid gets too hot. The other one is located behind the fuel filter in the side of the block which will not let OD engage until engine temp is up to operating temp. You can simply unplug wiring and jumper across the plug with a short piece of wire to bypass switch. I have had both of my switches go bad and have bypassed them and have not had any problems with it for years. Also, I used the cooling line port for a tranny temp gauge which I prefer over a switch anyway. Good luck.
YOREL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you yorel. Sounds like an easy fix and I'll try that one first.
Luckycrow
Old 08-31-2011, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

did any of those things work? I am having the same issue. Replaced the tps, cps, vss, and the trans temp sender still no luck.
HANK1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

a 518 od shift problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANK1 View Post
did any of those things work? I am having the same issue. Replaced the tps, cps, vss, and the trans temp sender still no luck.
it turned out to be the throttle position sensor.
took the truck to a shop to verify the suspected problem with a code reader and then spent the bucks and bought a new one(tps) BUT the problem returned soon after. I had to adjust my tps.
On top of the fuel injection pump under the tps is a flat piece(looks like a big flat head screwdriver) that fits into the tps. This piece is removable and adjustable.It has a small bolt on the back side of it that fits into a hex slot on the pump. By turning the bolt and holding the slot head(or vice versa) you adjust the shift point (into o/d) on your transmission.
It took a couple of roadside adjustments but I got it to where I want it and seems to be working fine. Just pack along a proper size allen wrench,an 8mm wrench and a pair of pliers or a small cresent to hold that slot as you adjust the small bolt. hope this works for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.