Cummins white smoke problem - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Cummins white smoke problem

Ok here we go I'm new to the cummins world iv had two ford diesels an I just baught a 91 dodge with the 12 valve for a grand tha engine starts perfectly and seems to run fine to me but it is blowing white smoke when idling an smells like raw fuel when it's givin throttle it blows dark gray smoke I have no idea whats wrong an would be thankful for any help
91.5 dodge d350 dually cummins 12 valve 5speed modified fuel pin adjusted star wheel an full fuel screw no breather box straight 4" turbo back to 6" stacks gauges leveling kit an custom rear bumper 2nd/3rd gen towing mirrors
Cowboydiesel1988 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

haha it's a 12 valve cummins, a true industrial engine and your issue is fairly common. If it's a light white haze that goes away after a few min it's almost expected with a 12 valve. 12 valve fuel pumps need a little bit of fine tuning if you want to eliminate or increase the smoke. In my opinion 12 valve engines produce a charcoal gray/black smoke that not only smells far different then other diesels but also looks different. I personally love the smell

It is possible however that you have a leak somewhere in the lines and are sucking air into your injectors.

Last edited by Curleyman; 03-19-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Curleyman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

it smokes the whole time the truck is running it has two fuel leaks that iv noticed before the injection pump could this be enough to cause it to smoke non stop? it doesnt seem like its running rough to me but i could be missing something im just hoping this isnt a serious problem
91.5 dodge d350 dually cummins 12 valve 5speed modified fuel pin adjusted star wheel an full fuel screw no breather box straight 4" turbo back to 6" stacks gauges leveling kit an custom rear bumper 2nd/3rd gen towing mirrors
Old 03-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Could be you have a bad injector if its white smoke all the time. You can try cracking them one at a time while running (with a rag over them!) and see which one doesn't make a difference to the idle. Remember to watch for the fan too...
'92 W250 CC LE, auto, OD on shift, 3.54 limited; boost/PT pyro, tranny & oil temp, fuel press, tach; Bosch 190s, Ol' Smoky, 366 spring, full fuel, pull cable, 1/8" bump, synthetics, Borgeson, aFe, 16cm house, 4" pipe, AT cooler, ton shoes, KDP DOA...
KRB64 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

ok thanks for the advice il be sure to try that as soon as i can. could the main fuel delivery line having a small dripping leak contribute to the smoke
Old 03-22-2011, 06:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

My guess is that no - its under pressure so it wouldn't be sucking air, which is why it leaks out and not air in.
'92 W250 CC LE, auto, OD on shift, 3.54 limited; boost/PT pyro, tranny & oil temp, fuel press, tach; Bosch 190s, Ol' Smoky, 366 spring, full fuel, pull cable, 1/8" bump, synthetics, Borgeson, aFe, 16cm house, 4" pipe, AT cooler, ton shoes, KDP DOA...
Old 03-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

The internal timing got messed up on my injection pump causing lots of white smoke, so timing problems will make it smoke too.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

how could i tell if the timing has been messed up without tearing it down to check the gears? an when u said to crack the injectors u mean the fuel delivery lines on top of then correct?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

White smoke can be from unburned fuel, whether it dribbles out of an injector in the exhaust cycle etc.

With the engine off, make sure the bolts holding the fuel line to the injectors are freed up. Then, once running start cracking them one at a time. Fuel will start spraying out all over the place and the engine should start to miss and tighten it back up. When you do one and the engine idle doesn't change then you found your culprit. The procedure is just like bleeding the lines.

If this doen't make a difference then it could be something else. If it smoked when cold but the white went away after warm up it might could be timing. Someone with a little more knowledge needs to chime in here, I've told you about all I know, which isn't much.

From my experience I was running down the highway one day when all the sudden there was a cloud of white smoke behind me. I pulled over, truck seemed to run fine but the eshaust smelled of fuel. Drove her home and did the crack test and found a bad injectore. Good excuse to get six new 190s .
The Following User Says Thank You to KRB64 For This Useful Post:
Cowboydiesel1988 (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboydiesel1988 View Post
how could i tell if the timing has been messed up without tearing it down to check the gears? an when u said to crack the injectors u mean the fuel delivery lines on top of then correct?
The way I found that mine is messed up internaly is because mine sorta has its good days and bad days, meaning some days the engine is quiet, has good power, and doesnt smoke some days. Other days its noisy under throttle, doesnt have power, and smokes a lot.
Besides that, the timing gear might be off too because the engine runs best with the pump turned all the way from the head.

You can advance the timing 1/8" inch and see if it makes a difference, if it get worse then go backwards 1/8" and see what it does.
Cowboydiesel1988 (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

hey guys i have another question probably a stupid one but if i took the muffler off my truck would it help or hurt it any an improve the sound any
Old 03-24-2011, 06:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Whats a muffler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.