Bad lift pump symptoms - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sweatin to the oldies

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Bad lift pump symptoms

I've just been wondering what the tell-tale signs are for a dying lift pump. I know that is the lift pump goes out in a 24v, if it's not replaced immediately it can cause the main injection pump to fail. Is the VE/P-Pump the same way or will the engine just suffer a noticeable power loss until the lift pump is replaced?
thechoochlyman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 02:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
One way to tell is that there is a weep hole on the lift pump. If there is fuel running down the side of your block and it is coming from the weep hole replace it. That means that the diaphram in the pump has ruptured. And when my pump died I drove back and forth from Montana to Washington 4 times before I could replace it and the only thing that suffered was power loss my pump seems to be just fine.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
i drove around for a month with a bad lift pump and one day i went to start it and my truck wouldnt run at all so i went and took one off another motor i had laying around and it runs perfectly fine and the thing with the 24vs is that there electric and they will burn up fast thats why alot of guys have fuel pressure guages in there trucks with the 24vs... but my pump works just fine no problems at all
Old 03-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
1ST GEN MODERATOR

Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,154 Posts
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
The VE will draw fuel on its own. There are arg apps where the VE has no lift pump.

Some of the signs of a dying lift pump. You see boost dropping for no reason. You notice the engine kind of laying down in the upper RPM ranges. You can't prime a new fuel filter on change out.

I lost a lift pump in Okla a few years ago. I drove back to Indiana with the bad pump. I couldn't find a pump on Saturday night and I wasn't going to pay Cummins in Tulsa $50 for a call in fee.
2014/93 W350 DRW, fuel pin turned, 6X.018" injectors, 4" exhaust, 3" air intake horn, Super HX40/16, G56 SBC Con-OFE, 3:07's axles, 2" skyjacker lift, B&W flatbed
Philip is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Sweatin to the oldies

Sounds good. I was just worried I might accidentally starve my VE if I found out too late. Thanks guys!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

now i know im a little late to this party, but this is somthing that ive thought about for awhile now.
my truck seems just not as peppy as i remeber, even with bigger exhuast and intake it just feels slugish, from memory.
the thing that got my attention was when i drained the water out of the fuel filter i reached down to pump it back up and it got firm then no resitace what so ever. ive done this a few times with the same result is that a sign of a weak pump?

mabey i just have a subconscious need to bomb the pump?
ch
cornman369 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornman369 View Post
now i know im a little late to this party, but this is somthing that ive thought about for awhile now.
my truck seems just not as peppy as i remeber, even with bigger exhuast and intake it just feels slugish, from memory.
the thing that got my attention was when i drained the water out of the fuel filter i reached down to pump it back up and it got firm then no resitace what so ever. ive done this a few times with the same result is that a sign of a weak pump?

mabey i just have a subconscious need to bomb the pump?
ch

I had the same experience... I figgered the pump was was bad so I replaced it... I went to pump the new pump it and the same damn thing happpened... I could move the lever but there was no resistance...

what I think happens is that the engine always stops in the same place, with the fuel pump eccentric keeping the fuel pump in the 'pumped' position. (so that the hand lever has no function).

I turned over the engine 1/4 turn by hand and then the little lever worked fine. I did not need to replace that pump.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sweatin to the oldies

When I just replaced my fuel filter, my hand pump was firm when I used it before I took off the old filter, and I could tell it was trying to pump fuel. When the new filter went on, I pumped it a couple of times then it get firm again (I filled the new filter with Diesel beforehand). I released the bleed valve over the filter, pumped it again, and diesel sprayed out everywhere. So, I guess mine is good for now. haha
Old 03-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

The two thinks I've noticed with a weak pump in loss of top end and an occasional loss of prime. I have a long steep hill at the end of town I have to climb every morning. Some times I don't quite make it to the top.
Left out in the cold is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.