Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Cummins (12 valve) Fuel System Troublshooting - Mastertech 1993

35K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Toolpro 
#1 ·
Thought this may be a good sticky thread!

#4 ·
2010 6.7 Cummins getting a "water in fuel" chime

I recently had my truck serviced at the dealer, got it back and getting a "water in fuel" sensor alert. Changed the fuel filter flushed the canister and still getting the alert. It doesn't come on and stay on...WTF...it comes on and off all day...any ideas?

#10 ·
2010 6.7 Cummins getting a "water in fuel" chime

I recently had my truck serviced at the dealer, got it back and getting a "water in fuel" sensor alert. Changed the fuel filter flushed the canister and still getting the alert. It doesn't come on and stay on...WTF...it comes on and off all day...any ideas?
I'm not convinced alot of these WIF sensors are all that reliable. I run commercial-grade Racor setups on the 1st Gen and the WIF sensor has always flickered randomly at times. Sometime it stays flickering for awhile. Sometimes it quits completely for awhile. Colorado is pretty dry, and I've never seen a drop of water in any fuel system around here anywhere ever. I imagine the day it comes on full after a bad load of fuel will already be too late.

#6 ·
Excellent information. Saved my bacon. Until these videos I was under the impression, incorrectly, that the solenoid on the back of the injection pump was simply a "kill switch", hence the name "shutoff solenoid". Now I understand that is is a true "gate" managing the flow of fuel to the injection pump.
I had already installed a manual kill switch cable so when I rewired the truck I didn't bother running new wire to a solenoid that didn't work reliably. I've spent evenings for the past week+ trying to figure out why I can't get the truck to run. I watched this video yesterday morning, ran a jumper to the solenoid and "magic" - she fired right up.
THANKS!

#8 · (Edited)
I have a 92 D250 cummins 2wd. I went to adjust the "smoke screw" and turned it in about half a turn, but when i went to put the locknut back on it tightened some and then loosened... i saw a small wire come out (so im guessin its stripped) so i have no idea where the smoke screw is adjusted to now (so im scared to crank it) now or what im supposed to do with the locknut that is stripped. My dad is gonna look at it tomorrow for me but any advice or anything? Im only 16 and although i know a good amount for my age, in this case i have no idea except for what ive read online.
I also have no idea if im on the right page to ask that but any help would be appreciated! Because at the moment im out of a truck!

#9 ·
I hate to say it I don't know why you are playing with the smoke screw. If its manual drop it in 3rd and take off it will smoke like hell if that's what your looking for. I got my D250 from my dad and never had any problems besides ball joints other then that it runs great and have good fuel mileage. Keep in mind every time you blow all that smoke out its non burnt fuel.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.