Nv5600? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Nv5600?

Well just broke my third input shaft yesterday! Im going to fix it and detune the heck outa it! Iv got a friend that has a nv5600 I can get for $500, are they worth that? I know I'll have to get a new clutch, shorten the drive shaft, what else? Will I have to make a custom crossmember? Thanks in advance!
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Is a 5600 worth 500 bucks? Does a bear $hit in the woods?! Seeing that 4500s go for, 5600s cost even more. Personally though, I wouldn't want to run one. They're huuuuugeeee and heavy.

What input shafts are you breaking? They make 1.375 billet inputs for NV4500s, if you break one of those then something else is going with it!
Old 11-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

5600s are junk too. way too much work for what youre gettin. If you gave me one for free i wouldnt put it in my dodge. plus parts are almost impossible to get now. you need to step up to the big boys table and run a Fuller. Problem solved.
Makin-Smoke is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I've had a G360 in my '90 and a 5600 in my current truck and love the 6-speed's gear spacing, especially for towing a trailer.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I'm breaking the getrag input shafts, sence they don't make a billit one I'm kinda stuck on what to do. I can't find a nv4500 that someone don't want my lungs for, g56's are junk, and sence it's on the track every once and a while a fuller is to much. I just never had or drove anything with a nv5600, so I figured I'd ask.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rescue Tower

Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,351 Posts
What is wrong with the 5600 that he only want's $500 for? The 5600 is certainly stronger than what you have, but they are not bullet proof. If you break something getting quality NV parts is just about out of the question. I don't think its a terrible option, provided you are not getting a junk 5600 that needs work already.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Nv5600

If it looks like this

[IMG][/IMG]

Just pass

Come and see what we are doing
Visit us at http://www.sanco-bg.com
chansey is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
DRC
Cummins Fanatic

Im reading this and other threads and trying to fig out are the motors just putting out to many horses for the tranny and this is causing the problem?

Also is this a getrag tranny or a Dodge tranny?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Nv5600 ??

The NV5600 tranny is from my 2001 Dodge 3500--3rd failure.

The NV5600 was the biggest option Dodge offered and realized that it was not the best choice, but the ONLY choice Dodge had to keep the truck line going. They made changes to the input shaft and synchros but it was only a band aid to the overall problem--not stout enough for the 5.9 Cummins in a light duty truck. The same engine in mid-range trucks with Fullers never had the problems Dodge did. Failures with the G56 are also starting to pop up. Will the G56 go the route of the NV5600 ???

The 11" clutch/flywheel setup has also been an issue and and expensive when compared to the Fuller 14" clutch/flywheel at less than 1/2 the cost of Dodge parts.

Many rebuilders have tried to come up with fixes for the NV5600 and include such things as billet shafts, improved synchros, drilling the bearing races with oil holes, installing oil filters and oil coolers; lastly, overfilling the transmission. The only way you can do this is to remove the shift tower and fill from inside the cab through the tower hole unless you have the tranny apart and drill a fill port above the "full" line.

Heat is what affects the NV5600 the most. The synchros are most affected followed by bearing failures. Sheared input shafts is more common on transmissions with a 1-1/4" shaft as opposed to the later 1-3/8" shafts. On the NV5600 in the photo, the rear carrier bearing seized.

There are die hard NV5600 proponents that will argue that the NV5600 is the best transmission ever made and that the truck is being misused, over loaded, improper oil being used and the list of reasons goes on. When you buy a 1 ton long bed Dodge truck with 4:10 rears, its going to be used, which usually means hauling loaded OTR or pulling loaded trailers. Otherwise it's not a truck, it's a passenger vehicle or grocery getter.

That's enough--I'm done venting.

Last edited by chansey; 04-30-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chansey View Post

The NV5600 was the biggest option Dodge offered and realized that it was not the best choice, but the ONLY choice Dodge had to keep the truck line going. They made changes to the input shaft and synchros but it was only a band aid to the overall problem--not stout enough for the 5.9 Cummins in a light duty truck. The same engine in mid-range trucks with Fullers never had the problems Dodge did. Failures with the G56 are also starting to pop up. Will the G56 go the route of the NV5600 ???

The 11" clutch/flywheel setup has also been an issue and and expensive when compared to the Fuller 14" clutch/flywheel at less than 1/2 the cost of Dodge parts.

Many rebuilders have tried to come up with fixes for the NV5600 and include such things as billet shafts, improved synchros, drilling the bearing races with oil holes, installing oil filters and oil coolers; lastly, overfilling the transmission. The only way you can do this is to remove the shift tower and fill from inside the cab through the tower hole unless you have the tranny apart and drill a fill port above the "full" line.

Heat is what affects the NV5600 the most. The synchros are most affected followed by bearing failures. Sheared input shafts is more common on transmissions with a 1-1/4" shaft as opposed to the later 1-3/8" shafts. On the NV5600 in the photo, the rear carrier bearing seized.

There are die hard NV5600 proponents that will argue that the NV5600 is the best transmission ever made and that the truck is being misused, over loaded, improper oil being used and the list of reasons goes on. When you buy a 1 ton long bed Dodge truck with 4:10 rears, its going to be used, which usually means hauling loaded OTR or pulling loaded trailers. Otherwise it's not a truck, it's a passenger vehicle or grocery getter.

PREACH IT MY BROTHER!!! LOL I use my truck to pull travel trailers for work and the getrag coming apart is my biggest worry. What model of Fuller Road Ranger would a guy use behind a Cummins in a 1st genny???
Jason 1992 D350 Extended Custom Cab, 5.9L 12 Valve HX35W Diesel, PDI Manifold, Diamond Eye 4", 5 speed Getrag, 3 speed 5831 Spicer, Dana 80 axle 4.11:1. 19.5 Vision Wheels / 225/70r/19.5 tires Always feels like
Nightrainhauling is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
DRC
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chansey View Post

Great explanation thank you for explaining it. I'm going to be swapping an auto out for a man. hope fully soon what model road ranger are you recommending that will bolt up to my ST gen. and transfer unit. Kinda fig that will be changed
Old 04-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrainhauling View Post
PREACH IT MY BROTHER!!! LOL I use my truck to pull travel trailers for work and the getrag coming apart is my biggest worry. What model of Fuller Road Ranger would a guy use behind a Cummins in a 1st genny???
You can see the build here on the forum at NV5600 to FSO6406A 6 speed Fuller

A parts list and overview is on my web site at NV5600 CONVERSION

I used a Fuller FSO6406A in Jan 2008 and at present I am going to use my FO8406ASX with a 4 X 4 adapter to mate my NP241 transfer case to have my 4 x 4 functional again. The FSO Fuller has similar gear ratios as the NV5600 and Getrag and it is OD at .78 vs the NV at .73---close enough !!!!

I don't know too much about the Getrag 56, but from what is starting to be posted, problems similar to those of the NV5600 are starting to show up.

I talked to a "hot-shotter" from MI who converted all 6 of his Dodges to Fuller FSO6406A's because he always had at least one of his trucks in the shop for transmission work. That was 18 months ago--all trouble free since the replacements. He feels it was worth the up front cost because each repair was costing him, over $5,000 between repairs and lost income.

I have almost 40,000 miles on the transmission since my install and not an isuue one. I'm changing the tranny out for the FO only because I have it and the 4 X 4 adapter is being mated to it. The FSO6406A had 149,000 miles on it when I got it and didn't touch it--used it as purchased. That means it's coming up on 200,000 miles and at that point Fuller recommends an input shaft change out and new bearings. By the way the FSO6406A sounds and feels in the truck, it could go 400,000 miles before service.

Last edited by chansey; 04-30-2011 at 01:46 PM. Reason: sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.