Eaton/Fuller tranny swap ? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Eaton/Fuller tranny swap ?

Bear with me as I'm new to the diesel scene, not new to fabrication.

I have a 82 K20 Silverado with a 6BT, sm465, and 208 combo. Trouble is top speed is around 40 mph. . . I bought the truck, with the swap already done, with the intent of using it solely to tow and recover my Jeep. I've been doing a lot of note taking and searching as to what tranny and combination of parts I'll need, but am getting more and more confused as I get into the trannys as there seems to be more and more people have been swapping different trannies around.

What I know:
RTO-O stands for overdrive, and OO stands for double overdrive
I need an SAE #2 bellhousing/clutch housing
14" clutch
28 mt starter
air supply
body lift or cab modification
custom shaft made for between the tranny and divorced tcase
build clutch linkage
build tranny support/mount

What I don't know:
What truck to get the tranny out of
What adapter plate/flywheel housing I need
where to find the clutch and starter
I heard there's a way to mount a tcase to an Eaton/Fuller tranny, but haven't found specifics
I'd rather have a hydraulic clutch than linkage, but haven't found anything
What're the specifics to RoadRanger and which company does it fall under

I hear of guys running a 10 or 13 speed tranny, but I'm only able to come up with these 2 as the ones they're running which is a 9 and 13 speed.

I would think the 9 speed has plenty of low gearing, but what's the strength on it? It's not 1600 ft/lbs as the first 2 numbers are the torque rating for Eaton.

The rto16709 is a 9 speed tranny, it has helical cut gears that're stronger and much quieter

The rto12513 is a 13 speed tranny, but it has straight cut gears and is too loud.
The RTOO9513 is a 13 speed with double overdrive, not sure on anything else.

All in all I'm looking for a stupid strong tranny with lots of high gearing for highway towing and I'm not to concerned with the weight or fabrication needed.

What's everyone recommendation on everything I have listed? I know it's a lot and it's scatter brained everywhere, adult ADD is a beast. . .
whitneyj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Road rangers are pretty weak in Class 8 trucks...I'd go with an Eaton-Fuller straight 10 or 13. Or if you want super low end for grunt work 4WD pulling, go with an Eaton-Fuller 8LL. 8LL being low, and low-low, then 2-8 highway gears.
Paintslinger is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintslinger View Post
Road rangers are pretty weak in Class 8 trucks...I'd go with an Eaton-Fuller straight 10 or 13. Or if you want super low end for grunt work 4WD pulling, go with an Eaton-Fuller 8LL. 8LL being low, and low-low, then 2-8 highway gears.

I'm not looking for low gearing, I'm looking more for high gearing for highway towing.

I'm also concerned with torque rating as the 6bt has had the fuel plate messed with and a 3200 gov spring put in. I have plans of intercooling it and swapping to a VGT turbo, or at least something that'll make more boost.

So the roadranger isn't a good idea? Why? and What's the difference in the roadranger vs. other trannies?
whitneyj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 10:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Roadrangers don't typically hold up to higher torque engines as long as Eaton-Fuller trannies do. As far as minimum torque ratings on the trannies you've listed above, you have no needs to worry about surpassing the 1200 lb-ft mark for quiet a while. With a modified or even absent fuel plate and a 3200 rpm governor spring (dont understand why fuel plate and gov spring are both mentioned, wasn't aware the VE pump has a fuel plate or that the p7100 has a govenor spring). But like I said, class 8 engines such as N14 Cummins and C9-C16 Cat engines make humungous torque numbers off idle (1000-2000 lb-ft depending on how they're built up) which is way out of the range your 6BT is making or even capable of right now. Not to cut the 6BT down, but they're not 16 litre engines either.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

And the 8LL isn't completely low geared, it has low and low low for reaching way down deep and pulling islands out of the Pacific Ocean and 2nd through 8th are highway ranges. It'll run anywhere from 70 mph to 150 mph with the right gears in the rear end.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
April CF ROTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneyj View Post
I'm not looking for low gearing, I'm looking more for high gearing for highway towing.

I'm also concerned with torque rating as the 6bt has had the fuel plate messed with and a 3200 gov spring put in. I have plans of intercooling it and swapping to a VGT turbo, or at least something that'll make more boost.

So the roadranger isn't a good idea? Why? and What's the difference in the roadranger vs. other trannies?

You not going to break any class 8 trans with a B series. If your wanting a super deep OD, get a 13spd. They can be changed internally to a double OD, the catch is you will need to be going 80 to use it.
roachie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

I second that motion.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
txs
Cummins Fan

If your top speed is 40mph now, even a double overdrive 13 speed isn't going to get you up to an acceptable road speed, you need a lot taller tires or a lot taller rear end gears. The sae flywheel housing, at least in automotive type applications, have threaded holes on the sides and there is a variety of brackets that bolt to the frame rail sides for the mounts, the tranny just hangs off the back.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Gotta agree with txs. Your problem is not transmission, although the 465 if a poor choice. What's in the diffs in that thing? In my opinion you'd be much better off with a set of 4.10s in the diffs and an nv 4500 or 5600. You don't need or want 10 or 13 speeds of non syncronized gears just to get up to highway speeds. And as was said, I don't think even a couble od will take your current arrangement to 80 mph.

Steve g
Old 11-26-2010, 01:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

All very good points, I would definately look in the diffs and see what ring and pinions you have, I'm going to guess somewhere in 5.56 range. OR you could just have a slipping tranny. What transmission do you currently have now, you haven't mentioned it yet.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

It was in the first sentence of his original post...SM465, GM 4speed. Somebody went through a lot of trouble to adapt that transmission to that motor with a clutch that'll probably never hold the power

Thinking realistically, there's no way that 40mph is your TOP speed. My truck came from the factory at 4.56 gearing, 31" tires, and a 6.2 diesel with a non-od automatic. It would run 55 comfortably and I pushed it to 65 once, but didn't feel like walking home.

Being that it's a K20, it probably has 4.10 gears. Unless somebody regeared it, but I'm doubting that.

I would definitely look into an NV4500 before I put such a massive and overkill transmission in my truck. Way easier to do, parts are easier to find, and they're way more readily available. Plus, it's synchronized and more user friendly for every day driving. It'll probably be cheaper/easier too. It's all just stock Dodge or Chevy parts.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Need to know more information, I think everyone is wondering what diff ratio you have, and what tire size. Also, the 6-speed is much nicer for pulling than the 5-speed, unless you're bent on the bigger class gearbox.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.