NP205 interchange Ford to Dodge - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
NP205 interchange Ford to Dodge

Will a Ford NP205 transfer case (driver-side output) bolt on to a Dodge A518/46RH tail, replacing the NP205 passenger-side type already there? Would the speedometer connection still work?
77 Dodge Xplorer 307 Frank Ind 26-ft 4x4 Class A Motorhome 1st Gen '93 Cummins swapped in, 47RH/NP241, stock turbo, PS intercooler, ground fuel pin, starwheel, fuel screw turned, 366 spring, BHAF, M&H DTA, 4" downpipe, DNA muffler, ARB Lockers, 17500# winch.
ClassA4x4 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

You would have to use this. They say it is exclusively for the nv4500, but it can be setup for a 518. Then you have to fabricate a new shifter linkage.

50-0207 | Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters - Advance Adapters

What is wrong with right hand drop 205.
ClassA4x4 (11-01-2010)
Old 11-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpolluter View Post
You would have to use this. They say it is exclusively for the nv4500, but it can be setup for a 518. Then you have to fabricate a new shifter linkage.

50-0207 | Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters - Advance Adapters

What is wrong with right hand drop 205.
Nothing wrong with the stock NP205. I want to use my Ford axle that's already built up, and at the same time free up space for the cummins exhaust. I may have to trade the 4x4 A518 for a 2wd and use the divorced NP205.
77 Dodge Xplorer 307 Frank Ind 26-ft 4x4 Class A Motorhome 1st Gen '93 Cummins swapped in, 47RH/NP241, stock turbo, PS intercooler, ground fuel pin, starwheel, fuel screw turned, 366 spring, BHAF, M&H DTA, 4" downpipe, DNA muffler, ARB Lockers, 17500# winch.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Dont use a divorced. The jack shaft won't hold up. Find a 47rh out of a 94 to 96 4x4 and it will have the boses for the shifter linkage.

With the 47rh you will gain a lockup t/c, but you have to change the bellhousing adapter, starter and flexplate from the same year trucks to do the swap.

Or you can send that axle in CURRIE to have a tube swap done and then have a right hand drop high pinion dana 60. It might also be a little cheaper to have that done a you can run all the same components that you have in it right now.

Last edited by Dieselpolluter; 11-02-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Dieselpolluter is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Jack shaft?

" . . . jack shaft won't hold up"

Do you mean the jack shaft of the Ram truck?

The Cummins, transmission, and the transfer case will eventually be installed in an Class A motorhome (after i finetune and fix all the bugs in the pickup truck. So if I go with a divorced the TC mount will be beefed up. I'm just looking at my options right now, one of them being a 47RH/NP241.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

If you put in a divorced t case there is a shaft that goes from trans to t case this is the jack shaft. Traditional jack shaft will not hold up with the 1310 double cardon joint. You would have to have a custom shaft built that would hold the power.

There is a company that makes 1350 and i believe 1410 double cardon shafts that will hold up but are spendy. It is High Angle Driveline out of california.

Not to mention the custom front and rear shaft that will have to be made.

Your best bet would be to go to a 47rh and 241 or have the axle retubed for a right hand drop.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpolluter View Post
If you put in a divorced t case there is a shaft that goes from trans to t case this is the jack shaft. Traditional jack shaft will not hold up with the 1310 double cardon joint. You would have to have a custom shaft built that would hold the power.

There is a company that makes 1350 and i believe 1410 double cardon shafts that will hold up but are spendy. It is High Angle Driveline out of california.
Aha, I get it now. That short driveshaft is caled jack shaft? OK. I've purchased a 1350 driveshaft from HAD before. no problem there.

But like I said I'm looking at all options, including 727+GV, stock A518+NP205 config, 47RH/NP241, or 2wd tranny and a divored TC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.