1993 no overdrive - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
1993 no overdrive

Just purchased a 1993 Dodge 2wd automatic truck. The cruise control and overdrive dont seem to be working. Iv tested the TPS which is good, adjusted my TV cable properly and checked for 12v at the 2 wire plug on the side of the transmission that sticks straight up, is that the correct plug to check? Im going to run a wire off the ground side of that plug on a switch next to see if I can get overdrive to work. Any ideas on what to check next? I dont want to use a potentiometer.

Thanks
Confused_Pete is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

So I wired a ground on a switch to the plug on the transmission and it shifts into overdrive when its turned on. Can I keep it on a switch for the time being while I figure out whats wrong without damaging the transmission?
Old 10-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Honestly, that's what I plan to do. Every time I hit a bump on the highway it kicks out of OD. Could be a lot of things including the ECU.

I'm thinking of running the switch to my non-functioning cruise rocker on the steering wheel.
GumbyIL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Ive heard from a few people that the throttle position sensor is what actually allows the trans to go into od on these first gens. if they go bad the truck wont hit od. im not 100 percent sure but its worth a shot before u tear the tranny apart.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUMMINS959 View Post
Ive heard from a few people that the throttle position sensor is what actually allows the trans to go into od on these first gens. if they go bad the truck wont hit od. im not 100 percent sure but its worth a shot before u tear the tranny apart.
There are a lot of things that make the A518 not go into OD. The trans coolant temp sensor, the brake light switch, the ECU, the TPS, the OD solenoid, a number of grounds.

To wire the OD to a switch doesn't require opening the trans at all. Not even dropping the pan.
GumbyIL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUMMINS959 View Post
Did you even read what I posted?

Spoke to a transmission guy and he advised me not to have over drive wired to a switch. If the transmission tries to down shift, example making a hard sudden brake app, it might not like that too much. He explained it in more technical terms then that as to what happens but I got the jist of it. Looking at temp sensors next.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

theres 2 sensors on these trucks, and they both suck ... they should both be removed and jumpered due to the fact that they thought back when vanilla ice was cool, that keeping the tranny out of OD when your coolant is under 60 degrees saved your transmission...

check on the side of your block under the head, drivers side, its called the coolant thermal switch, they go bad... almost always...

check in this order for the cheapest easiest way to fix your trucks OD

run the ground to the non 12 volt on the 2 wire as you described in your post.. and make sure your trans clicks into OD, if it does follow the following steps. if it dosnt then your OD solenoid is toast.

check TPS, should be at .8 - 1.0 volts on the middle wire. should go up around 4.0 at WOT, mines at .6 volts, eventhough the manual says .8-1.0 you have to play with the TPS to figure out your true setting..

check the coolant thermal switch by unplugging it and jumping it with a wire.

check the trans overheat switch on the hot port out of the transmission, cant miss it, 2 orange wires... jumper that also

now go drive the truck, see if it shifts good, if it does, reverse the order one by one until you find the culprit... imo, jumper them and get rid of the trans overheat switch and put in a trans gauge... that helps a ton...

if none of those worked, your PCM is toast... i read they are being rebuilt for a couple hundred... imo, if you dont have the cash, then run the manual switch for your OD, it will hurt your tranny only if its getting hot and not shifting into 3rd... your trans will shift out of OD under a certain speed, and go into OD as soon as 1-3 seconds after you shift into 3rd if you leave it on all the time.. ( my switch broke and limped home ) but drove fine...

any more questions just ask
91.5 D350 Flatbed Dually, HE351CW, Built 46RH, 4.10 Gears, Denny T Pin, Timing Spacer, 3200 Spring, BHAF, 4" Exhaust, Glowshift 3n1, Borgeson Extreme Steering Shaft, 6K HID, K3LA Train Horn, 12000 Pound Winch.

Last edited by Brucetafer; 10-14-2010 at 03:58 AM.
Brucetafer is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brucetafer For This Useful Post:
Dieselluvr (11-02-2012), meb4byn (05-08-2013)
Old 10-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Dodge Cummins 1993 overdrive

When setting up the TPS check the voltage slowly all the way through the accelerator pedal travel. If voltage does not smoothly increase, but jumps, even out of acceptable range, TPS is bad.
moondoggy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused_Pete View Post
Just purchased a 1993 Dodge 2wd automatic truck. The cruise control and overdrive dont seem to be working. Iv tested the TPS which is good, adjusted my TV cable properly and checked for 12v at the 2 wire plug on the side of the transmission that sticks straight up, is that the correct plug to check? Im going to run a wire off the ground side of that plug on a switch next to see if I can get overdrive to work. Any ideas on what to check next? I dont want to use a potentiometer.

Thanks
where is this plug located? drivers or passenger side, and towards the front or rear? i'm having the same problems with my truck and i'm gonna try this first. thanks
Thunder5.9 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Thanks Brucetafer! I was having the problem with my overdrive kicking on and off and found out it was the coolant thermal switch near the top, back of the drivers side block. SWEET!
93 W250 LE Club Cab, AT, 3.91 Sure Grip, DE 4"exh, Cooler Tubz, BHAF, Gauges, POD's, M&H timing spacer, Gillette Diesel fuel pin & 60cm compressor, Star wheel turned, Power screw maxed, KDP and case bolts fixed, WVO conversion, Skyjacker, Rancho's
Dieselluvr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quick question: is the temp sensor on the block the same one that reads temp for the gauge? As in: if i replace the sensor that is listed on rockauto.com as the temperature sensor for my truck will that same sensor be used by my trans?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanked 1,040 Times in 982 Posts
No it's not the same it's tucked under the cyl. head right behind the fuel filter in the side of the block.

97 2500 4X4 auto DDP 40 HP injectors, no 8 fuel plate, homemade 3" intake horn, BD converter, BHAF, electric cooling fan
9297oldram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.