How to Adjust Idle RPM? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
How to Adjust Idle RPM?

First, my truck idles MUCH too high. I don't have a tach yet, but it sounds REALLY high compared to other trucks. I am also seeing other tendencies that would indicate a higher idle than normal. First, when I crank it up, even when cold, it fires up faster than any truck I've ever owned...less than half a turn of the starter and it's running. Seems like this could be a sign, also, there is a big jolt/shock when switching into gear from Park or Neutral.

I have read about a screw to adjust idle, and I imagine I could find out where it is, but I'm really looking for advice from you guys about adjusting it. How much adjustment drops 100 rpm, etc...and tips or pointers you could give me would be great. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
A fast start is the sign of a good engine. Looking at the injection pump from the finder side you see a long screw with a lock nut that the throttle arm hits at full throttle. That is the full throttle stop. On the back side (engine side) of the pump is an identical screw, that is the idle screw. Loosen the lock nut and back the screw out until you reach 750RPM. Then lock the nut.
Left out in the cold is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Left out in the cold For This Useful Post:
Cummins250 (03-06-2011)
Old 06-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left out in the cold View Post
A fast start is the sign of a good engine. Looking at the injection pump from the finder side you see a long screw with a lock nut that the throttle arm hits at full throttle. That is the full throttle stop. On the back side (engine side) of the pump is an identical screw, that is the idle screw. Loosen the lock nut and back the screw out until you reach 750RPM. Then lock the nut.
what you said, yes indeed. unless the dern screw want to be a pain. mine was so i took a dremmel tool and started grinding away at the end of the screw until i got the rpm i wanted
Old 06-29-2010, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbrake View Post
what you said, yes indeed. unless the dern screw want to be a pain. mine was so i took a dremmel tool and started grinding away at the end of the screw until i got the rpm i wanted
Your not fooling anyone. We know you and power tools.
Left out in the cold is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

mine was easy to adjust. took about 5 min to find 700rpm. but it wasn't hard at all.
CumminsT92 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Your not fooling anyone. We know you and power tools.
more power
Old 07-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

I used my pliers and bent the tab just a hair. worked perfect.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I also don't have a tach, an after adjusting my power screw the truck idled high enough to be a pain at stop lights. I just used my ear, listened for a smooth quite idle, made sure the oil pressure was still good and called it a day. Make sure and put it in drive after you adjust it to make sure it's still smooth under a load with the A/C on.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
is there anyway you guys could post a pic i must be blind b/c im not seein it thanks to all !
Cummins250 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanked 1,016 Times in 960 Posts
Look at the opposite end of the arm that the throttle linkage fastens to, it's just a threaded bolt with a lock nut that's hard to get to.

97 2500 4X4 auto DDP 40 HP injectors, no 8 fuel plate, homemade 3" intake horn, BD converter, BHAF, electric cooling fan
9297oldram is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 9297oldram For This Useful Post:
Cummins250 (03-06-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9297oldram View Post
Look at the opposite end of the arm that the throttle linkage fastens to, it's just a threaded bolt with a lock nut that's hard to get to.
oh duh right in front of me haha thanks guys appreciate it !!
Cummins250 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.