Swapping a VE pump with a P7100 pump - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Swapping a VE pump with a P7100 pump

Hey, wise injection pump swappers out there, I could use a little bit of info and guidance on an issue I have. I've recently picked up a '93 Cummins 6-cyl for a swap project. Well, long story short, it didn't come with the injection pump or the pump timing gear. It had the VE pump and I was wondering if a 7100 pump and gear will bolt up, have the same injector firing order, run with the same lines, blahblahblahblah, you guys will have waaay more info on this than I know. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
natd001 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2010, 07:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
1ST GEN MODERATOR

Thanked 1,342 Times in 1,111 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
The p-pump will not bolt the the VE housing.

The lines will not interchange. The VE has the lines out the back in a round pattern. The p-pump has the lines across the top of the pump. In a straight line. The p-pump injectors have a different thread count and size. So the p-pump lines wouldn't fit the VE injectors.
2014/93 W350 DRW, fuel pin turned, 6X.018" injectors, 4" exhaust, 3" air intake horn, Super HX40/16, G56 SBC Con-OFE, 3:07's axles, 2" skyjacker lift, B&W flatbed
Philip is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip For This Useful Post:
natd001 (03-14-2010)
Old 03-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, Philip. I don't know what I was thinking, asking if the lines were the same. Massive brainfart apparently ...
Old 03-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

exactly. so if you are doing the swap find a P-pump, timing gear case and cover from a 2nd gen, injector lines, and injectors. Along with some misc. stuff that im not sure of. check in the performance threads for write-ups on the swap if you are interested.
W150CTDproject is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
1ST GEN MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by W150CTDproject View Post
exactly. so if you are doing the swap find a P-pump, timing gear case and cover from a 2nd gen, injector lines, and injectors. Along with some misc. stuff that im not sure of. check in the performance threads for write-ups on the swap if you are interested.

For what those swaps parts cost used. You can by a reman VE pump.

What are your plans for the VE engine.
2014/93 W350 DRW, fuel pin turned, 6X.018" injectors, 4" exhaust, 3" air intake horn, Super HX40/16, G56 SBC Con-OFE, 3:07's axles, 2" skyjacker lift, B&W flatbed
Old 03-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's going into an 89 F-150 4x4. Would have ran with a 4BT, but the cost of those engines is absolutely ridiculous. I looked for awhile for a decent priced 6BT, and finally found one (bargain doesn't even BEGIN to describe what I got it for). Like I said, I'm missing the pump gear, and the pump, and really haven't seen too many VE pumps/pump gears for sale, so I was curious what a P-pump swap would entail. I'm trying to do this on a budget, so completely swapping the timing cover, injectors, lines, and whatever else (the cam comes to mind, possibly), it'll just be easier to stick with the ol' VE, rather than spend the time and money to source all those other parts.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by natd001 View Post
It's going into an 89 F-150 4x4. Would have ran with a 4BT, but the cost of those engines is absolutely ridiculous. I looked for awhile for a decent priced 6BT, and finally found one (bargain doesn't even BEGIN to describe what I got it for). Like I said, I'm missing the pump gear, and the pump, and really haven't seen too many VE pumps/pump gears for sale, so I was curious what a P-pump swap would entail. I'm trying to do this on a budget, so completely swapping the timing cover, injectors, lines, and whatever else (the cam comes to mind, possibly), it'll just be easier to stick with the ol' VE, rather than spend the time and money to source all those other parts.
Yah stick with a ve I mean you can get 400hp out of a ve and i think that would be plenty for a f150 and if you did get 400 hp out of the ve the TQ would probably twist that f150 in half
Old 03-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

HAHAHAHA!!! Naw, for the time being, I'm not looking to have a drag truck. Just a bullet-proof, awesome mileage vehicle with that epic Cummins rumble. Not worried about the frame really, more worried about the manual tranny going "Hey, remember me? I quit."
Old 03-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
1ST GEN MODERATOR

Quote:
more worried about the manual tranny going "Hey, remember me? I quit."
thats a good one.

If you throw a WTB add in the 1st gen WTB section I bet you can find a pump gear and pump. There are guys parting or swap to p-pumps pretty often.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Once again, thanks Philip! You're the man! Went looking through there, and found some pretty good deals on those pumps. Before I know it, I'll have an awesome Fummins! :
Old 03-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
1ST GEN MODERATOR

Good luck on the build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.