Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Come home from vacation to this...

934 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Ruderunner 
#1 ·
A puddle of fluid under my transmission... and no I didn't let anyone drive it while I was gone.

Just a refresher, a week or so ago I posted about reverse feeling really right; almost like you were holding the break while reversing. And I also noticed when it shifted that third gear felt tight (auto trans btw) and then parked it and returned to this situation.

Thoughts? Asphalt Soil Tar Auto part Floor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Has there been anyone in the tranny to adjust the bands? But usually loose, or mis-adjusted bands feel sloppy, not tight.

Tranny fluid can travel easily....you will be the best to find out where it's leaking from. My guess is the shifter shaft seal?

#6 ·
I agree with this as well. Get underneath with a good light and you should be able to tell where the leak is. Maybe try cleaning/degreasing everything thoroughly and let it sit for a while to see where the fresh fluid is appearing?

I had a similar problem with my a518 and reverse last year also. It felt like reverse wasn't "grabbing", I had to bring the RPMs up to move the truck and it would not move backwards at idle. What I did that solved the problem was dropping the pan and tightening the bands as well as changing the filter (filter was clean, but I figured that I might as well do it while I was in there).

I used this guide to walk me through it and the whole job wasn't too bad.

Adjust your bands, shift points, and line pressure (pics) - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Just prepare for the inevitable mess that comes with dropping a transmission pan :(

Buy more fluid than you'd expect to refill the transmission afterwards. If I remember correctly, I had to add a ton more fluid than I purchased before hand and had to make a run or two back to the parts store for more.

Side note, I have noticed that letting the truck idle in neutral for 2-5 minutes before I begin driving helps the cold performance of the transmission significantly.

#5 ·
Probably due to converter drainback b/c the truck sat unused for a while, completely normal. What happens is it raises the fluid level in the pan and then the Trans will leak from either the dipstick tube and/or the range selector shaft, both are easy fixes.

#7 ·
Blaine, that's classic converter drain back symptoms.

Idle in neutral is the second best fix, yanking the trans and resealing the thing is best but expensive.

The older rwd Mopar transmission don't fill the converter when in park. Its a quirk retained from the first 727 in the late 50's. Those didn't actually have park, you had to set the parking brake and put the trans in neutral.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.