Cummins Diesel Forum banner

92 4x4 muffler question

901 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  9297oldram 
#1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post here but I have a 92 cummins that has BD fuel pin and gov spring, hx35 set to 25 psi currently on factory injectors for now, fuel screw turned in 1 1/2 turns. I have tuned it to never smoke only a slight haze at full throttle and get 1200 egt never more. The exhaust is bone stock and I was wondering if I could put a better muffler to free it up? If so which one exactly? Don't want straight pipe and I know you will say get diamond eye kit.... how much will I gain from this as far as MPG and power? It isn't in the budget yet though.... I'm looking into swapping my 518 for 47rh.

#3 ·
Just buy a open center muffler, there's no restriction. Are you still using the stock air box?

#4 ·
Open center like a glasspack ? Or is there a diesel specific One? And I'm using factory air box for now with holes cut in it. As soon as this filter needs replaced I will probably replace with bhaf . At my close to stock power level do you think I'm OK keeping factory piping for now?

#5 ·
#6 ·
Awesome thank you, how does it sound? Guy at my muffler shop looked at me like I was stupid when I asked about putting a glasspack on a diesel. Like I said in the first post I don't want to piss off the neighbor with a loud straightpiped truck as I go to work early in the am and this truck is my daily driver.

#7 ·
No one has driven my truck so I can hear it but it's quiet in the cab, it turns down in front of the rear axle.

As with any exhaust system you have to learn to control the noise with your right foot.

A BHAF isn't going to give you any more than the stock air filter in a opened up box. Just looks is about all your going to get.

#11 ·
Good to know it could last a while, the last glasspack I had lasted only a couple years before the insulation blew out and it sounded almost louder than straightpipe afterwards!!!! But that was years ago on a gas pickup.

#12 ·
It's pretty heavy duty for a glasspack don't know yet how long it will be quiet.

I had Walker open center on for about 6 years and it's still quiet when I took it off.

As long as it has a turn down on the end of the pipe the sound will go down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.