Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Asking for a little help and reassurance on 1st gen parts

821 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  hussey 
#1 ·
So I am in the process of setting up a VE pumped first gen cummins to go into a chevy 3+3 project.

I started with the engine, and I am putting an NV4500 behind it. Since I needed to source all my parts its sort of hard to get my facts straight on what parts I need since most people would be swapping the 4500 into a getrag equipped truck thats already road worthy, so things like starter and hydraulics are important to keep what you have...I just want to know from those more experienced that what I have gathered will all work together!!

VE cummins>2nd gen adapter plate>south bend clutch and flywheel>nv4500

Nothing needs to be done to the input shaft correct? Bolt up deal?

With that setup I need a second gen starter I believe, and I am going to be using a clutch master/slave combo designed to work in the chevy truck with a cummins.

Lastly I have a passenger drop dana 60 under my truck, what is my best bet for a transfer case that will bolt to the nv4500 and not need an adapter etc?

Thanks for listening/reading

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
The 2nd gens are drivers drop. You could use a 2wd nv4500 and a divorced Chevy 205 transfer case.

If your using a GM nv4500 then you just need a Dodge bellhousing for the Nv4500 and a 2nd gen Dodge adapter.

The Dodge Cummins nv4500 have a 1 3/8 input shaft, you could use the stock one in the GM NV4500 unless your going to be building the Cummins.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I already have a dodge nv4500. 1 3/8 input and correct spline for the engine. So I need a trans case that is passenger drop that bolts to the dodge nv4500, or I guess what setup I could use if it involves using an adapter.

#5 ·
The 29 spline NP205 from a manual transmission truck is what you need. It will bolt fine to the 4wd NV4500. Or you can convert a 23 spline automatic NP205 to a 29 spline with some machining and parts....that is the route I went.

#6 ·
So when doing that I am assuming your talking about a first gen NP205, did you have to leave the seal off the back of the trans? I believe I read that somewhere...

#7 ·
Yes you do, but the NP205 has a double seal on the input shaft, so it's not a big deal.

#8 ·
I did this same swap except I have a p pump motor. I used the 1st Gen dodge tcase behind the nv4500. You just have to make sure you have the adapter that bolts to the tcase. You also need the round coupler that slips over the shafts to connect them.

You might also be able to use a Chevy 32 spline 205 and switch the input to 29 spline but I'm not sure what you would need for an adapter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.