turbo waste gates - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
turbo waste gates

I am wondering how the waste gates work and how one would benifit my old rig.
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

A waste gate is used to bleed off excess pressure. There is a spring inside of it and when u shorten or lengthen the rod that will put more or less tension on the spring thus allowing you to push more or less pressure
01 2500 QCSB 4x4 - NV4500 Swap, 3600# SD from Kenny's, Quadzilla ADR 4k, 150HP Jammer Nozzles, RSD 4" Down Pipe-5" Straight Pipe, AEM CAI, Raptor 150, Big Line Kit Tank to VP, Leveled, Recon Smoked Cab Lights (110# Springs, HD Rods, Head Studs, in the works)
1stgen3rdgendodge is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Are you saying that the sring contrals the boost? and, How does the boost work on a truck whos turbo doesn't have a waste gate?
Old 06-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

no wastegate = balls to the walls lol
Truck 1 92 D350 NV4500 K&N air filter PDR HX35/40 Hybrid Turned up fuel pump and Old Smokey Fuel Pin Straight Piped,dynoed 235Hp 601Tq Truck 2 06 Ram 2500 smarty so6 programmer lvl 9 afe cold air intake 5" turbo back exhaust
92dodgecumminsd350 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

basically, presurized air goes into the wastgate diaphragm, (the spring part) which is set at a preset point, and when air pressure overcomes the spring pressure, it allows the wastegate to Open, thus allowing the exhaust to bypass the exhaust turbine and just go directly out the tail pipe. the advantage is, you can have a smaller turbine houseing, which will allow for quicker spool up, but at the same time, at higher RPM, or higher boost, you still have exhaust flow and the turbo will cause a plugup, so to speak. So your comment on how does it work on non wastegated trucks? well typically the exhaust housing is bigger and will allow the exhaust to flow no problem. hope this is clear.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Then with the Exhaust housing bigger does it take longer to spool up and build boost?
Old 06-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

yes,as I understand it the wastegate allows the turbo to spool faster and also controls the boost and turbo speed on top end.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I believe on a diesel the motor itself will control how much boost it needs by how much fuel it is getting. I know more about gasser turbo motors than diesel. But thats how I understand it. Add more fuel and it will make more boost.

The wastegate size does not do anything for spool up times. that is all based on exhaust flow and the efficency of the turbo. The bigger the exhaust, the quicker spool you get. A turbo runs best with like a 1 foot turbo exhaust port matched pipe on it.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

EEeek, misinformation...

A large turbo housing will take a long time to spool up, but will be able to flow more exhaust before EGT's and boost becomes excessive. A small turbo housing will take a short time to spool up and will make more boost, but will get hotter for a given amount of exhaust flow.

A wastegate is closed until boost builds. This allows you to run a smaller exhaust housing for a faster spool-up on the bottom end, and then the wastegate opens on the high end to reduce EGT's and keep boost under control.

A wastegate on a stock 18.5 or 21 cm first gen exhaust housing won't accomplish much. It is very important on the later 12 cm and 9 cm exhaust housings used by 2nd and 3rd gens.
Brad_Bibbee (08-08-2011)
Old 06-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

So, I was looking at my 92 intercooled 12 valve cummins and the compresser on it doesn't have a waste gate. I talked to my dad and he said that my 92 12 valve was probly better than his 99 24 valve with the waste gate. His thery was that with mine not having a wast gate it didnt waste the power that it built. But I've heard that it was a good thing to get a turo off a 94-98 to put on a first gen because of the waste gate that is on them.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

It doesn't really work that way.

His truck makes boost quick, then the wastegate opens to keep that boost (and his EGT's) from going any higher. If he wants more boost/ EGT's, he can modify/ adjust the wastegate to open at a higher pressure.

Since your truck has no wastegate, they had to make the turbine housing big enough to make sure it would never make too much boost or EGT's. That means that your truck takes a lot longer to build boost than his does.

The only advantage of a non-wastegated housing is simplicity and expense.

A turbo off a newer truck is beneficial because it has the smaller exhaust housing/ wastegate combo, and also because the compressor on the intake side is bigger.
Farooski (07-20-2009)
Old 06-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

yeah the hot side on a 92 is 23cm2 which equals really long spool time while on some 24v(autos) have a 9cm2 or (manuals) a 14cm2 housing resulting in lower spool times
Truck 1 92 D350 NV4500 K&N air filter PDR HX35/40 Hybrid Turned up fuel pump and Old Smokey Fuel Pin Straight Piped,dynoed 235Hp 601Tq Truck 2 06 Ram 2500 smarty so6 programmer lvl 9 afe cold air intake 5" turbo back exhaust
92dodgecumminsd350 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.