Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Any one crazy enough to run duels??

3K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  80seriesLC 
#1 ·
Not turbos im talking about.. twin T cases.. anyone done it with these torque monsters??

just thinking of doing a 2 valve swap in a chev running duel 203-205

sorry if posted in the wrong spot.. just move it if i am!
thanks guys

#3 ·
This is the right spot, powertrain is for spinny parts. I would imagine it has been done before, but I don't have any proof. Someone may chime in hopefully. I know it can be done, doubler setups are quite common on the shorter wheelbase ramcharger and rcsb trucks that are used for rock crawling. Long wheelbase trucks tend not to do as well off road due to size issues.

What are you planning to do? Climb up brick walls with 10k attached?

#4 ·
I never thought bout the 23 spline.. but I'd think it has been done.. not that it needs to be tho. More just running ideas threw my head. My chev right now is 355small block 4 speed with a 203/205 doublethink amd just picked up a 12 valve 2 drive i was going to use the motor out of for the chev! But i might go to a single case mainly cause with that much torque and lots of gearing i can just feel the parts braking already....

#9 ·
When I do my nv4500 swap, I'm most likely going to run the married NP241HD and a divorced 205. No adapters, nice driveshaft angles.

#11 ·
Dual transfer cases allow you to get incredible torque multiplication through the existing driveline, so power is going to the wheels in the same way as it was before. The advantage of running them is a really slow, but powerful crawling ability. Rock crawlers use them to climb up vertical banks occasionally. It's really fascinating to see a heavy vehicle walk all over things like that. Youtube has some good videos if you want to see what is possible with doubler setups.

#18 ·
If I could afford an Atlas I would. Price an Atlas then price a 203/205 doubler or a magnum box and tell me there's not a huge difference.

Winch hill 3 Pinch Alan - YouTube

On Fordyce (the trail) we lost our 4.7:1 back case (dual toyota cases, 1 stock, 1 with 4.7:1 gears). Truck is linked, on tons, full hydro steering, 40" sticky BFG KRT-Bs. We were in what's called squeeze line, stripped the circa 1996? Marlin Crawler 4.7 gears. Still had stock 4 low. Without the dual case we were roasting the clutch and stalling the engine trying to drive out of there while being pulled with 2 winches. After we got out of that we had to full throttle it out of the trail to keep from stalling. Ended up breaking a rear driveline, grenaded the CV, and had to winch and front wheel dig the rest of the way out to the trailer.

You figure a stock cummins has say a 2:1 transfer case, 5.53:1 first gear, and say 3.73 gears. You're looking at a ratio of 41:1 in low range 1st gear.

vs 2.28:1, 4.7:1, 3.95:1, 5.38:1 for an overall of almost 228:1

Point being, low gear is great for off road.

#19 ·
If I could afford an Atlas I would. Price an Atlas then price a 203/205 doubler or a magnum box and tell me there's not a huge difference.
you're right, stock 203/205 would be much much cheaper. but upgrade input/output shafts, yokes, and adapter, i bet you'd be close to the $3200 for the atlas. oh ya, and the atlas is a much better unit than the doubler, even with upgrades.

to the OP, i understand if you've already got the doubler setup then of course it would be cheaper. i'd be really interested to see this installed. i've never thought about wheeling my 1st gen like i do my jeep just due to the weight of the front end

#21 ·
Dude I''m all in favor! I'm going to wheel my heavy pig of a toyota. Ill buy a magnum box when I can afford it, duals would be cool tol though but would make my driveline like 24" long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.