Cummins Diesel Forum banner

My problem PCM..

777 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  grizzlypaugh 
#1 ·
My 93 Dodge 5 speed, I was not charging so I put a a external voltage regulator in. I am charging now. Over the last months though I notice my speedo not working then working, at that same time the tach and AC was not working. Yesterday I was checking my wiring under my hood and I started up my engine and then I was smelling hot plastic and saw my wiring harness smoking. I then shut off my truck. after smelling round I checking I have not bare wires and my PCM is hot and stinks. today it has cooled down. but I now having nothing that the PCM would operate working. I have been checking grounds and wires and cant seem to see any shorts. I think my PCM died. I have ran the external voltage regulator for a couple months and about 2500 miles. I want to get things back working what to do? I am on a tight budget.

#2 ·
the wires that burnt up are your fusible links most likely. PCM could be fried (correct me if I'm wrong) but links should go first. happened to me (same symptoms as you) I replaced all the links with a stereo fuse holder. there's a write up here somewhere

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.