Cummins Diesel Forum banner

ZF5 first gen

9K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  93Cummins250 
#1 ·
my 93 4wd has a junk auto in it and I want to bang gears. I like to be different so im thinking ZF5 swap. has anyone ever seen this done to a first gen???

#2 ·
No. Cuz it doesn't have any advantage over a dodge 5spd. That, the fact that it requires a custom adapter plate, and the availability of dodge manuals kinds makes it pointless. Then you have to hang a passenger drop tcase off the rear.

#3 · (Edited)
id look at the zf6 speed. i was thinking of swapping one into my first gen...since they shift wayyyyyy nicer than an nv45 or 5600. you can get the adapter plate from destroked or have a buddy that has some knowledge of fabrication and machine work make ya one up, pretty simple. i ended up just going with a full manual VB and ratchet shifter since i wanna drag race haha

#4 ·
^did you mean drivers bc first gens have pass side pumpkins. I think you'd need a Chevy tcase and axle to run a zf5.

only bad thing I've heard of zf5s is that the brass bushings will wear out if you rest your hand on the shifter when in gear. besides that they're great trans and I think advanced adopters makes a plate but $$$.

reman nv4500 from smart parts auto is a grand after core charge and $600ish for the bolt on adapter. trust me it's worth it unless you find a cheap getrag in good shape

edit: in reply to wombat ranger

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
^^ No, I meant a passenger drop tcase like I said. Cuz like you said 1gen's have a passenger pumpkin. Why swap to a chevy axle? The Chevy 60's are almost identical, just a minutely different perch location.

#6 ·
Didn't fords have zf5's. If so you could run one of those with the ford t case and the ford high pinion front end. That'd be sweet.

#8 ·
I also found this website, high impact transmission, that sells a complete nv45 conversion kit for first gens. Minus the pedals though. Pretty pricey too but hey, can't beat having it all in one place.

#9 ·
I got a diesel ZF5 dirt cheap... thats the close ratio one. I'm going to try to make an adapter. Probably with a Ford 6.0L starter on the passenger side.

#10 ·
I'd really like to see a zf5 or 6 swap on a first gen. My old bosses 99 PS had one an that thing shifted like a dream. Loved driving that truck. U2slow make sure you post lots of pics for us all to see.

#13 · (Edited)
ZF6 in a first gen would be awesome. From what I've heard and read on them they seem like a pretty bullet proof trans. Never driven something with a ZF in it but i bet it shifts better and smoother than a Getrag:hehe::rof

I have driven them all and yes the ZF6 is king. Getrags aren't far behind as far as which can bang gears faster though. Honestly I think throw distance of the ZF6 is what makes it feel like a quicker shift. Closer ratio's make it feel sportier too.

#11 ·
ZF6 in a first gen would be awesome. From what I've heard and read on them they seem like a pretty bullet proof trans. Never driven something with a ZF in it but i bet it shifts better and smoother than a Getrag:hehe::rof

#15 ·
I plan on eventually swapping my gm zf6 into my k30 that's getting a cummins but that's gonna be a long time away but zf6s seem to shift way better then other trannys and are pretty beefy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.