Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Did I ruin my turbo?

781 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  91Dodgecummins350 
#1 ·
So a few weeks ago I was at a truck cruise. After I went around a corner and I was showing the fords what's up :thumbsup:and had it to the floor in 4th and had about 25-27 psi of boost built when I quickly let off of it to shift gears and the turbo kindof "barked" and my boost gauge bounced once. After shifting into 5th I could only build about 10-12 psi and my turbo sounded kind of weird. After that I limped her into town and shut it off. Later I got into it and took off and it built boost like normal and didn't sound weird. So I would just like some input at this point.

#2 ·
that sound was just where you "barked" your turbo. it happens when the turbo suddenly stops and the pressure still built up tries to make the turbo spin in reverse causing the barking sound. don't feel bad my turbo does it all the time and the gauge flutters back to 0 psi a lot. you may have busted an intercooler boot or blew one off. check for the obvious first.

#3 ·
He's right it's from letting off suddenly instead of rolling off the throttle. I wouldn't say don't feel bad about it, your turbo is spinning thousands of Rpms then suddenly stopped that puts a lot of stress on the shaft, you can break it if you're not careful. Not really sure why it wouldn't build boost after that, I'll second checking all your intecooler piping. Might even wanna take off your air inlet and check the turbo for shaft play. Probably all a ok I just wouldn't make a habit of doing that to your turbo.

#4 ·
After it happened I checked all my intercooler boots and everything looked good. I will check my shaft play when I get back to the truck. I was just a little concerned becuase it wouldn't build very much boost. And when I shifted into 5th gear it would only build about 10 psi it was wavering or bouncing around or "fluttering". I forgot to add that in the original post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.