Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Axles

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  manchildau65 
#1 ·
I have a w250 was wondering about axles. I wanted to put 1 tons underneath but also want performance. My goal for the truck is to have a bullet proof work truck but also something I can enter in pulls and drag races. Just let me know what y'all recommend. Thanks

#2 ·
I'm going to assume you have a diesel, in that case you already have "1-ton" axles per-say.

W-250 diesels had a D60 (or D61) front axle which is identical to the front axle in a W-350. The rear axles are also HD D60's or D70's depending on the years.

W-250 gas models came stock with an HD D44 (basically a D44 with 8 lugs) but it could optionally have the 4500lb front axle upgrade which then would have had the D60.

#4 ·
A Dana 80 rear from a 2nd-gen is a good option.

#5 · (Edited)
Assuming you have a 70 rear, you're not likely to blow stuff up unless you really start hopping while trying to pull a sled. If you have a front 60, it is more likely to grenade a stub shaft. The 1st gen 60s were solid axles, minus small stub shafts like most 60s. The 2nd gen CAD 60s are not so desirable, unit bearing, CAD, weak housing, weak long side shafts.

Might take a look and see if you have those funny hubs and how strong they are. I don't know much about em but I'm betting you'd be better off with a set of warn premiums if you can find a conversion kit.

Back off if you start hopping or start to lose momentum and you probably won't break anything if you have the stock 60/70 axles.

#6 ·
The 70 is strong enough in most cases... but the 80 is stronger, and an upgrade in almost every aspect.

- bigger r&p (11.25" vs 10.5")
- bigger bearings
- more splines (35 vs. 32)
- bigger wheel studs (9/16" vs 1/2")
- bigger drums (13" vs 12")
- slide-off drums (or disc) instead of inboard drums
- wider axle (70" vs 65"; SRW)

#9 ·
Yes it is a diesel it is a 12 valve my buddy has a set of one son military axles don't know if that would hook up but basically I'm trying to do something different.[/Q some rules for pulling say you must have a diff housing that was avalible in a 3/4 or one ton, check your rules. as for axels if its a 89 to early 91 you have d61 front d71 out back late 91 and up d60 up front d70 out back. if you have the early ones be carefull pulling because you cant get a new ring and pinion for them, only used.

#8 ·
You have tons...

something different or something that works? You already have function axles with proper gear ratio and brakes. Get ready to shell out money and adapt parts.

OR build the axles you have.

1 ton military axles to me sounds like chevy 60/14bolt

unless it's 2.5 ton rockwells lol

#10 ·
Just passing some info..... 89 - 91 Dana 60/70 3.54 35 spline with Getrag . that what I have and you can get gears for it. Dana 61/71 are 3.07 that comes with 3 spd auto...... 91.5 - 93 either Getrag or auto Dana 60/70 32 spline

#11 ·
correct 307 gears are the ones you cant get gears for. I should have made that clear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.