Cummins Diesel Forum banner

4wd trans in a 2wd

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  crispyvarmit 
#1 ·
Is it possible to put a manual transmission out a 4x4 truck into a 2wd truck? My auto trans just started to slip and I'm wanting to do a manual trans swap. I'm having a hard time finding a 2wd manual but I can find plenty of 4wd trans.

#2 ·
I drove mine for some time during my conversion with a 4x4 trans and transfer case. I put the 4x4 front end in later, I kind of liked it I had low reverse for backing trailers. as for a trans if your going to use a nv4500 they are easy to convert as for a getrag I have never done one.

#4 ·
What kind of transmission are you thinking of getting? I took a 2 wheel drive NV 4500 and had it rebuilt with new synchros, new main shaft, updated 5th gear nut, new input shaft, 4X4 tail housing, and a few other parts that were worn out. Total cost was about $1000, but it is updated and basically brand new. I am getting an updated clutch also and just had the flywheel resurfaced. Hopefully won't have to pull this thing out anytime soon. Also should mention that the truck (1990 350) had the NV 4500 retrofitted into it with an Advanced adapters kit. That would be an additional cost to get the adapter kit.

#5 ·
My '95 4wd nv4500 looks like it will accept a bolt-on yoke. There's a seal in the tailhousing and the end of the shaft is threaded for a bolt. Would need to find a 29 spline one.

#6 ·
would you have pics of that shaft I have never seen one like that, not saying it aint so just would like to find out if I could find were to get them.

#7 ·
I can't do anymore attachments, but I uploaded it to my gallery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.