Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Rear axle swap d250

18K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  u2slow 
#1 ·
Has anybody swapped in a different rear axle. I would like to pick up rear disc brakes and limited slip rear end. I am trying to figure out a cost affective way to do it. I am sick of drum brakes and don't want to pay a fortune to add limited slip to my truck. I could justify spending some money if I also gain rear disc brakes. Thanks The truck is a 1993 with less than 100k on it stored winters. It is worth investing in with the cost of new trucks today.

#2 ·
The 94+ Dodge axles are about 5" wider (SRW), use 3" wide leafs, and different shock mounts.

I did mine a little different.... I took the whole axle, springs, and hangers from my '94 donor and put the whole thing under my W250. Its an open diff, getting a Lockright shortly. Added 2" spacers to the front to even out the track width.

You may be better off finding another diff the same as yours with a PowrLok already (91-older are 35 spline instead of 32). There's also Ford diffs you could use like the 10.25 from a pickup, or a disc D60 from a van.

Reactions: MamthTORQ
#6 ·
I did mine a little different.... I took the whole axle, springs, and hangers from my '94 donor and put the whole thing under my W250. Its an open diff, getting a Lockright shortly. Added 2" spacers to the front to even out the track width.
Do you have any pictures of your truck or the swap?

#3 ·
I had a 10 bolt GM under mine for a while, now I have a Dana 60.

As long as you can get a axle with the same or close WMS you can put it in.

#5 ·
The Dana 70 has a bigger ring gear and a little heavier wheel bearings. Also I think the axle tubes are a little larger.

#8 ·
Depending... 60s can be semi float or FF.

70s are FF, 9 3/4" vs 10.5" ring gear, bigger tubes, larger and stronger shafts, more splines, probably 1350 series yoke or 1410.

There are disc brake conversion available for most of these axles.

The sterlings came with a locker in some cases and disc brakes but watch out for 8x170 pattern... There are 10.25s and 10.5s. I'm not sure on all the specifics.

AAM 10.5s and 11.5s would be good choices, factory discs

14 bolts can be converted to discs easy but the parking brake setup may not be satisfactory.

Dana 80, did it ever come with discs? IDK swap em on.

IMO Dana 60 is a little too light for a 3/4 1 ton diesel rear end.

#11 · (Edited)
if you're ok with a Dana 60 rear, your best bet is a ford E350 van rear. I believe the vans didnt switch to metric until after 2004, so 1999-2004 would probably be what to look for. they are full float dana 60 with limited slip and disc brakes. they have 32 spline shafts, bigger tubes than standard 60s, and 8x6.5 lug pattern. they are super easy to find in junk yards and on the cheap. they are about 66.5" wms to wms which should be about an inch wider than your stock rear, no problems. you may have to move spring perches.

i've used this axle for multiple swaps on mud trucks, jeeps, and crawlers.

#13 ·
When did Ford switch the bolt pattern on their vans? 04 when they went to metric? I am pretty sure the trucks switched in 1998 which makes sense with the body style change but I didn't know about the vans.

#12 ·
There is most definitely dana 80s with disc brakes. Before 02. I think they started in 99 or 98.5 I just bought a first gen and it has an aam axle in the back with disc brakes just sayin. Lots of options. If I was you I'd just try finding an axle and put it on

#14 ·
Will disc brakes make a big difference with the stock proportioning valve that's intended for drum brakes?

Has anyone had good luck with the stock prop. valve and discs?

#15 ·
I haven't found anything definitive yet. I plan to go with an adjustable valve - probably even before I go disc, because I'm not happy with the current brake biasing running empty. My rears lock up immediately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.