Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Figured out Tranny issue but where to get parts?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Lucius 
#1 ·
93 250 with the lockup tranny. Needing the Governor pressure solenoid and the pressure sensor (transducer). But can't seem to find them anywhere. Searched online and nothing came up for the 93. Just 96 and up. Even went to dodge and that was a waste of time. Any help would be cool. hoping to switch the stuff out before I do my drive from WI to NY next week.

#3 ·
Hi Sandmann,
Your trans is probably an A518. You can even get the parts on Ebay if nowhere else. Do a search online and just type in A518/727 parts. If you have trouble, PM me and I will get back to you with a source or two. I have now overhauled three of these and one 48RE.
Mike

#4 ·
whats the problem with the tranny??

if its a stock tranny its not a lockup, 46RH A518,

But if it is a lockup tranny its most likely 47RH, which would be 94-96 cummins...

if it does have the pressure sensors it is a 47RE transmission, which would be 96-98 trucks, A618 / 47RE Borg Warner Heavy Duty Governor Pressure Solenoid

if its stock tranny, theres no electronic parts on it, except the Overdrive solenoid and speed sensor.

#5 ·
You guys were right I have the 2 pin overdrive solenoid. So I ordered one of those and now im just trying to figure out where the speed sensor is on the transmission. Figure I would replace both of those and see what happens. Does the speed sensor control cruise? Because that at the moment does not work.

#6 ·
the speed sensor is relative to cruise control but it mainly sends low voltage signal to speedometer. that same signal is used for cruise control and also for your TPS. all 3 must be working properly for cruise to function... the switches on the steering wheel are also a huge variable in the equation as theyre notorious for going bad.

you can get a new speed sensor or VSS(vehicle speed sensor) @ any crappy parts store and/or the dealership. people have had the best luck with an original dodge unit as opposed to aftermarket parts store junk.

#7 ·
btw the VSS is located on the driverside tail housing of the tranny if 2wd or on the driverside tailhousing of the TransferCase if 4wd... externally. it looks like a black plastic UFO with a 2-wire plug going to it. and coupled by multiple 1" nuts to what ever tail housing

#8 ·
Yeah ive had no issues with the speddometer just the cruise quit working after sitting for a while. As for the OD issue I tried a tps (along with adjustment) with no prevail which leads me to believe its the solenoid getting funky on me. Works good when cold then after warming up it wont engage until 55 or so then after a long drive you have you mash the pedal to the floor for it to engage then the moment you let off it disengages. Let it cool for 45 min and it works again for 20 miles or so. Somebody said the OD solenoid were notorious for being bad and even coming loose.

#9 ·
Your symptoms sound very similar to what I went thru when I 1st bought my truck back in 03. My OD solenoid was falling off of the valve body, I simply snugged it back up (with a SMALL dab of blue loctite on the bolts) and its worked fine ever since. FWIW I did rebuild the trans myself about 4 years ago and those bolts, even with the loctitie on them came out fine when overhauling/cleaning the valvebody (they went back in with fresh loctite too,lol).

#10 ·
Dropped the pan yesterday and the solenoid screws (the one on the right side and the center) were about three turns or so loose. The far left one (closest to solenoid itself) was tight. I snugged everything up thinking fluid was bypassing the gasket area. I did notice the solenoid itself on the bracket had some play in it. My new BWD one did also but not near as much. Maybe that has something to do with it? Maiden voyage today so ill see how that goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.