Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Tranny help!!! Please

1K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Lucius 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have an auto tranny with overdrive and today while I was driving it, it was acting like it was trying to find gears. When I kept driving it seemed like it was going into neutral for a split second then into gear. I could tell this by my tach. I switched the OD off and babied it then noticed that the speedo wasn't working.

Is my tranny dead or could it be something else?

#5 ·
Is the VSS the electronic part that sits on top of the injector pump or is that an internal piece

#7 ·
Ok since mine is a 2wd I guess it will just be on the side of the tranny

#9 ·
I have a 91 d350 that I'm working on. It's got the 518 in it

#11 ·
Where can I get a VSS? Anyone have a part number

#13 ·
Ok I picked up a VSS from oreilly and noticed that it came with a new plug for the VSS and the other end had another style plug on it. I put the new VSS on and just plugged in the old plug and still no OD and no speedo.

Do I have to replace the wiring also? And should the new VSS be tightened down or should the large nut that goes on the tranny be somewhat loose?

#15 ·
And while checking all the wiring I found a plug on the driver side of the tranny pointing towards the floor of the cab that had about an inch to an inch and a half of wire exposed on both wires. I tapped them up real good with the liquid electrical tape and waiting for it to dry to see if that has anything to do with it.

Any other ideas guys (i.e. Fuse etc)?

#16 ·
Anyone have any ideas. This is making me want to just sell this thing lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.