91 Cummins Auto Questions - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
91 Cummins Auto Questions

I just bought a 91 Cummins and it needs some work and I have some questions about that........Well I have a guy telling me its just a 3 spd Auto Tranny but I've looked and it seems to be a 4 spd according to the internet.......now for the problem.....it wont shift past 3rd.....it tops out at about 45mph with the 4.10 rear end......there is a linkage on the throttle that kinda has a sleeve so it can slide back and forth and is also hooked to the tranny....when the throttle is moved the linkage dont move....the throttle just slides in that sleeve.....im thinking that is what is making it not want to shift but I looked and didnt really seem to find a place to tighten it up.......heck idk maybe its supposed to be like that but thats why I am here .......The overdrive switch doesnt seem to work but that might be in with this linkage deal......

And last......this thing takes nearly 3 days and 4 nights to warm up ......It just seems like it wont warm up for anything......I can let it run for 45 mins and take off with about 4,000lbs behind it and it gradually warms up and once the temp gauge moves its all good....but just normal driving or getting on it a little bit wont hardly budge the gauge.....I'm thinking the thermostat might be stuck open but yet again idk......

Sorry its long.....I've been around diesels and know a little about them but this is my first to own and want it to really last and be taken care of so I want to learn as much as I can.....And be able to do it myself....I may need some in depth instructions but I'll get the hang of it soon I'd say

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
1ST GEN MODERATOR

Thanked 1,380 Times in 1,142 Posts
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
In 91 there were two different models of CTD trucks. The nonintercooled trucks had a 727 trans. This is a 3sp trans. NO OD

If the truck has an intercooler it is called a 91.5. The 91.5's had the 518/46RH transmission in them. This is a 3spd with OD trans

So the big question is. Does the truck have an intercooler.

The not warming up most likely is the thermostat. Buy one from a cummins dealer. Stay away from aftermarket parts stores.
2014/93 W350 DRW, fuel pin turned, 6X.018" injectors, 4" exhaust, 3" air intake horn, Super HX40/16, G56 SBC Con-OFE, 3:07's axles, 2" skyjacker lift, B&W flatbed
Philip is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Yea it does have the intercooler
Old 01-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
1ST GEN MODERATOR

Ok you have a 91.5 model.

That trans cable needs to be working. Its called the TV (throttle valve) cable. It controls the line pressures and up shift points on the trans. OD is controlled by the PCM (powertrain control module). The upshift to OD is somewhat controlled by that little 3 wire sensor on top of the injection pump.

There is also a temp sensor in the cooler line by the front of the trans pan. If the PCM does not see a signal from it that will stop the trans from shifting to OD.
2014/93 W350 DRW, fuel pin turned, 6X.018" injectors, 4" exhaust, 3" air intake horn, Super HX40/16, G56 SBC Con-OFE, 3:07's axles, 2" skyjacker lift, B&W flatbed
Old 01-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Ok, for that linkage.......Is there a spring that is supposed to be somewhere because i can move it to wherever i want and it will stay.....
Old 01-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Did this to mine and it's been flawless ever since. Don't go buy a new TPS! They are about $300 last time I checked the Dodge stealership.

Replacing the TPS with a potentiometer -A

troy

btw, i ended up withabout $10 and 45 min. in mine!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

ok this might be a real noob thing to say.....but link just confused the hell out of me lol
Old 01-16-2009, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
1ST GEN MODERATOR

There is supposed to be a spring on that TV cable. Here is apic of my linkage. Notice the spring that hooks into the throttle arm and goes towards the rear of the engine. That spring is hooked into the TV cable slide arm.

With the TV cable all the way forward the slide should have about 1/16" of clearence between it and the pin that moves it.

Troll cut that price in half.

That link is a how to on removing the TPS (throttle position sensor) and doing some jury rigging (insert the name you prefer best in the underlined area) to replace it.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I cant get that pic to work.....
Old 01-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollporter View Post
Did this to mine and it's been flawless ever since. Don't go buy a new TPS! They are about $300 last time I checked the Dodge stealership.

Replacing the TPS with a potentiometer -A

troy

btw, i ended up withabout $10 and 45 min. in mine!
I also have a potentiometer setup and i love it.. I can control when OD shifts... nice for pulling heavy loads..
Old 01-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Ok, I see that spring your talking about.....I'll hook that up........now is there a better explanation to that pentometer anywhere.....idk I just get lost when I look at it
Old 02-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Another Question, lol, I just got the motor back in from resealing it. i go to turn the key to get it to crank, all i get is a click from the relay. Everything is back the way it came apart, so i cant figure this one out either. any possibilities?
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.