White Smoke? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Powertrain
89-93 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 03:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
White Smoke?

Ok so I've owned my diesel for about 2 months. It really really really HATES the cold weather here in saskatchewan which kinda sucks because I bought it for my year round vehicle lol. The cold has made the syncro's actually lose their effectiveness(they work I dn't grind gears but it's hard to shift you have to be really careful when you shift)

Ok so my biggest worry with my truck is the amount of white smoke I have blowing out the back of it when I'm driving it in the morning. morning temps have been about -30 to -40 Celsius lately and it fires up great(I cycle the grid heaters on really cold mornings at least twice) the turbo works but I think it's on it's way out(just cruising along the turbo doesn't have any boost)

When I drive to work I usually give the truck about 10 minutes to warm up(the other day I needed to let it warm up for a while because the interior iced up on me(windows developed frost on the insides and I actually had to use my ice scraper. I'm going to try and find a good interior heater to eliminate the warm up times(I can stand the temps I dress warm enough it's just the fact that I have to drive with no clue where I'm going that bugs me).

Anyone know if I've got an issue with this white smoke? It only happens when the engine is just started in the morning(doesn't happen when I'm warming it up at idle-I'm hooking up a high idle soon) but when I'm accelerating when cold, the exhaust blows white BUT When I shift into 3rd and give it a bit It does blow some black not much but some. Is it just something like water in the fuel? my sensor hasn't gone off but maybe the WIF detector is bad.
RamSST is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009, 04:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT!

could be your fuel jelling up, put some anti-gel in the tank, and when it first cranks up that cold, its gonna blow white smoke, until the engine warms up... diesel is combustable, not explosive, so remember that, when a combustible fuel burns cold, it will not atomize as good, causing fuel to actually blow-by in the exhaust... thus when the temps in the exhaust burn it off, it comes out white, which is usually raw un-burnt fuel... if it happens after the truck warms up its indicative normally of bad injectors... once it warms up the fuel will atomize, and you will have no more white smoke, with it being that cold at night are you plugging your truck in to keep the block warm? that would be a plus, and dont let it idle too long when its cold without the high idle, over time it will cause cylinder washdown... not good for youe engine...
2011 3500, stock, 2003 QCSB 4X4 5.9 6spd, Smarty, Valair, K&N, ARP, Topgun, Autometer, 5" Stacks, Smoked Recons, KMC wheels, Cooper 35X12.50's, With enough get up and go to piss off your granny! Blacked Out And Engineered By Southern Smoke, And Dark Side Diesel!

CLICK -------> GEORGIA CUMMINS CREW
SOUTHERN SMOKE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 04:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

yeah I'm rigging the high idle next monday when I get back to work. hopefully then I'll get a good look at my cps to check out why the factory tach doesn't work. I've been reading up on the issue and everything I'm looking at sounds like a failing turbo and maybe an out of time injection pump. I'm leaning more to the turbo as it seems to never do to much other then when your really hard on the accelerator(I don't use much pedal I've only gone WOT like twice I usually use about half throttle)

I didn't put and anti gel in the tank last time I put fuel in because my anti-gel had gelled lol I think thats a bad sign but I buy from a truckstop that is very busy so I get fresh diesel every time.

I was going to replace injectors and the pump sometime in the summer to.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT!

yea retarded injection timing, or low fuel pressures can also cause white smoke, but yea i say when it warms up just go through the truck, and see what all needs to be fixed if it makes it that long, and the ve pump isnt very hard at all to work on...
2011 3500, stock, 2003 QCSB 4X4 5.9 6spd, Smarty, Valair, K&N, ARP, Topgun, Autometer, 5" Stacks, Smoked Recons, KMC wheels, Cooper 35X12.50's, With enough get up and go to piss off your granny! Blacked Out And Engineered By Southern Smoke, And Dark Side Diesel!

CLICK -------> GEORGIA CUMMINS CREW
SOUTHERN SMOKE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 04:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

from the looks of it my worries about diesel are fading it just gets expensive when you really wanna make power(head studs, high horsepower setups) eventually I want lots of power out of this truck but my goal for the end of the summer is to get it to about 300 horsepower and I'm thinking that'll equate to about 800 lb ft of torque?
Old 01-02-2009, 04:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamSST View Post
from the looks of it my worries about diesel are fading it just gets expensive when you really wanna make power(head studs, high horsepower setups) eventually I want lots of power out of this truck but my goal for the end of the summer is to get it to about 300 horsepower and I'm thinking that'll equate to about 800 lb ft of torque?
Dude I am from Regina and I'm tellin ya there is most likely nothing wrong with your truck. First of all what year is it and second of all what is the mileage on the odometer? It has been really cold here and everytime I start my truck I get the white smoke . Like the previous poster said it is because it is cold. As for your transmission try running an all synthetic it seems to help with everything including warm up times.Do you have a winterfront? It helps albeit little, but every little bit helps.
2002 2500 QC LB, 4x4, SLT Laramie. S&B CAI Silencer Ring MIA, Fass 150, AFE Bladerunner Intake Horn, MBRP 4" TB Exhaust Quadzilla Boost Fooler, BD APPS noise isolator, FOX 2.0 shocks and 34x12.50 Hankook DynaPro MT.
h!70w3r is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 05:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

sorry mines a 92 W250 Power Ram, It's got 326,000 kms on it(I've done the last 1,000) Yep I have a winter front(custom made btw) I'll look into a synthetic oil change I want to do one so I know it's been done but I might wait til the spring not because it's to cold but because I have a bunch of work for the truck to be done(replacing the cab) and I'll do it then.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

That is a really good looking truck, and I wouldn't worry about the white smoke very much.

For your goal of 300rwhp, it is easily attainable. When you are ready to start modding, check back with us, and we'll tell you what some of your options are.

Again, you have a sweet truck. If I get mine painted, I think it will be those colors. I love 'em.

Parker
peobryant is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 05:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by '91 1st Gen View Post
That is a really good looking truck, and I wouldn't worry about the white smoke very much.

For your goal of 300rwhp, it is easily attainable. When you are ready to start modding, check back with us, and we'll tell you what some of your options are.

Again, you have a sweet truck. If I get mine painted, I think it will be those colors. I love 'em.

Parker
lol if you were closer I'd offer up the body most of it's going to be in the backyard after my plans are put in place(looking at buying a crew cab shortbox truck to swap bodies)
Old 01-02-2009, 05:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Nah, I searched for two years to find my 2wd Dually. I have only seen a few Crew Cab Duallys, and they look sweet, but they are pretty hard to find. Even though you aren't going with a dually, I'm sure it will look cool. Most conversions do.
peobryant is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 05:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by '91 1st Gen View Post
Nah, I searched for two years to find my 2wd Dually. I have only seen a few Crew Cab Duallys, and they look sweet, but they are pretty hard to find. Even though you aren't going with a dually, I'm sure it will look cool. Most conversions do.
you ever seen the photos of the 4 door custom ramcharger's? that's what I would really like to build I have an 84 ramcharger that I've had since I learned to drive and got my license and it just wasn't doing it's job which is why I bought the 92, I told myself I wasn't going to buy a new truck unless it was exactly what I wanted(drivetrain wise I know the 5.9 5 speed 4x4 combo never came in a crew much less a 4dr ramcharger) whatever I end up with(plain crew or 4 dr r/c The truck will be a 30% gloss gunmetal grey with 30% gloss black accents with a red pinstripe down the length of the truck.

well as long as theres nothing wrong, lol It's my first diesel and people keep freaking me out with observations(gas engine guys who don't know anything about the cummins) like one guy was asking it my truck was backfiring but it was just really cold.

I have a oil pan heater and a block heater, hopefully in a couple days I'll pick up a small 125W reservoir heater for the transmission to warm it up a bit.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Mine smokes white on initial start up to.
I think due to the really cold ambient temps we are seeing . if like me you put any aftermarket intake on, it is Breathing a bit deeper and sucking - 30 c the grids just canít handle All the cold air . I know when I lived and worked up north in the Yukon, we would start the Cats and the Cummins and they sounded awful and blew white smoke till they started to warm and then the smoke changes to haze till you see any real temps
If you are really see bad cold tarp the underside of your truck motor ... BIG pain in the butt
Also be careful if you have an external lube system (leaks) there is the possibility for fire
I have a high idle on mine that works great , I let the truck warm at low idle till the grid stops cycling and then bring the truck up to about 1000 RPM
My oil in the tranny is fresh and yes you do have to be careful shifting ... if you are really worried about it put the trans case in neutral and put the tranny in 2 or 3 gear this will spin the gear set and help warm motor and tranny oil
roxxx is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.