my cummins addiction build thread - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Performance Parts Discussion
89-93 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 1st Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
my cummins addiction build thread

i remember when i got my truck a bit more than a year ago and i was saying "it has enough power" and "its good enough i dont want it to be a money pit"...... after a lil wrenchin the gearhead came out in me.

over the past year i have been through just about everything on the truck, and the constant thinking about what to upgrade next.(wyoming farm truck so shes been worked) and that leads to this build... i put my truck away this winter. (wisconsin's salty roads and cold temps arent nice to the old girl, or start ups and cold shut downs to move it outta the way) before i put it away i was noticing that the headgasket weeped alil bit and hazing a lil bit. but it wasnt terrible YET so that was my first objective for spring before, headgasket and midaswell stud and oring it for future upgrades while im in it... and then i decided it was time to go to a better turbo (current h1c with 16cm and new internals) and i started looking into all that....

i starting looking for turbos and it seemed to get anything worth buying for what i want i would be spending close to 1000 for a nice aftermarket, but i got convinced by the he351 by how everyone here likes it that has upgraded it to... well if i was planning on maybe spending 1000+, and the he351 i found was pretty resonable, i midas well keep spending, i always wanted to do a twin turbo setup from seeing how other people loved it and the performance they got, and how cool itd be (sounds too, hehe) to have that set up, well shortly after i found a ht60 (27cm) that was rebuild and being sold on here by swalldog. (thanks!) soooooooo why not just jump into doing twin turbos while i got time to fabricate.

i love fabricating, customizing and problem solving how to make stuff work. and man does this project have alot of fabrication. but to keep cost wayyyy down thats what has to be done, otherwise youll spend a good chunk of money just on all the lil things you dont think about. i figured i hadda start a build thread while most of this stuff i did is still in my head, and still a lot to do before i have the set up done.

so before i type more of a novel ill post some pictures and get this thread started

thats all ya get for now, later on ill get write something up and post some pictures of the fabrication ive done so far and parts of collected and some good sites to get stuff for reasonable.

92 w350 SRW daycab, intercooled, getrag, southbend, dana70 4.10, rear locker, front leveling springs, 60# valve springs, ARP, 50hp injectors, BD stainless steel manifold, he351/ht60, 4in diamond eye, helper bags, homemade traction bars, gauges instagram:jakegeiselphoto
cumminspower024 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Wow definitely interested in keeping up with this thread
85Cummins_Crew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 85Cummins_Crew For This Useful Post:
cumminspower024 (01-31-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 12:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

a while ago i came across this cobra head turbo back for a good price and for some reason i knew id use it at one point.(in pictures in first post) 2 problems with it though. the t6 flange i bought that mounts up to the ht60 is 4inches exactly inside diameter, and the corbra head is ment for a 4inch pipe to slide over it. so with it centered over the flange there was about 1/8th around the whole thing.

so to get it to fit over the flange good and flow smoothly into it, i decided to cut 1in sections all the way around it.. another problem is its a 1/4 inch thick, and cast. so it didnt wanna bend to easy. some of them i got to bend some broke and i just welded them at the angle i needed. then filed all the gaps and welded in insides and out all around. i did heat it up but the big torches werent accessible to really heat it up.

so after about a hour or so and some beers i had it all welded up and grinded down flow nicely.

92 w350 SRW daycab, intercooled, getrag, southbend, dana70 4.10, rear locker, front leveling springs, 60# valve springs, ARP, 50hp injectors, BD stainless steel manifold, he351/ht60, 4in diamond eye, helper bags, homemade traction bars, gauges instagram:jakegeiselphoto

Last edited by cumminspower024; 02-01-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Where did you find the cobra hot pipe? Part number?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Bryson711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson711 View Post
Where did you find the cobra hot pipe? Part number?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
i just typed in cobra head turbo back or something like that in on ebay a long time ago and it came up. dont know if its an actually "cummins" back but its just as good. i just typed in "cobra head cummins" on ebay and theres one for sale
Old 02-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

on to step number 2 of 3 on the cobra head back.

when i was looking for brackets to mount to ht60 to the cobra head i came across this nice bracket on ebay, bout 40 bucks but was milled and ported nicely to flow the exhaust into the ht60 better. but once i got it i noticed how off it really was. it had about a 1/4 inch all the way around the ports so that made it not flow to nicely... haha.

with the ht60 weighting almost as much as a prius, i knew i hadda brace it up somehow so it wouldnt rip my he351 and manifold off. i was planning on just making some sort of bracket off of the flange or a bracket in between the ht60 and the flange and bolted to the manifold bolts and some other place not yet determined. well now that there was such a gap in flow between the cobra head and the turbo i decided i was gunna cut some 1/4 steel and make some spacer brackets that i could also use for bracing up the ht60.

i probably spent a good 4-5 hours making these 2 brackets, but id rather spend my time than my money if i can just make it. so first i traced out the foot of the ht60 and roughly cut them out. i traced the ports and figured what drill i could get most material out with. so i drilled in each port 6 times and figured the rest id be able to just dremal bit the rest out. BUT that woulda took forever. so i got out our sawzall and did a lot of lil cutting and getting lil pieces out of the ports to cut down the amount of grinding. i didnt think it would work to good but it worked great. and the rest i used the dremal. i formed them all to the size of the turbo ports, then i lined up the original flange and my 2 flanged on the turbo so they lined up best. bolted it down and tacked the brackets together. once i did that i just went with the dremal and ported it out perfect. (still some cleaning up to do and smoothing) now the exhaust will flow perfect into the turbo outta the cobra head.

sawzall vs. dremal

another lil project was i read alot of people bore out the wastegate on the he351 so it flows better. so i opened her up and bored her out so there was bout 1/8 inch around the flap.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Looking good. Interested to see how it works for you.
waggs70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Looks great keep up the work
1992 Extended Cab Le - 6 Inch Skykjacker / Crossover Steering / Borgeson Shaft / Disc Brake Conversion / 37x12.5x16.5 GoodYear MTR / 16.5x12 Bart Wheels / BHAF / Pump Mods / Skyjacker 9000 Stabilizers / Autometer Gauges / 4 Inch Exhaust - 7 Inch Miter
1stgenbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

looks great, interested to know more about the truck its going in?
Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ducati M.

From this I've gained some inspiration for what I'll be doing on my compound setups. Keep up the good work, and detailed writing up of what you're doing
DMan1198 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,217 Times in 1,044 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
gasket match the inlet flange on the he housing as well. really wakes it up.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

thanks guys!

westjohn,

its the truck in my sig. its been a project since i got it. but a fun one. it didnt have ANY leaks when i bought it. its just been a farm truck all its life. most of witch was in wyoming but i got it from a guy in upper michigan. by the time i got 250 miles into the trip it there was a couple minor leaks. expected... but when i got home, just bout EVERYTHING was leaking a bit. and 4 of the 8 bolts that holds the transfer case adapter plate on the back on the getrag were BROKE! i pulled it all out and put a new clutch in and checked everything out.. changed all the gaskets from there back and reshimmed the trans. then last summer i took her on a longer then usual freeway drive and it for some reason it puked oil outta the front of the oil pan, no idea why. did the oil pan gasket and found half of a piston cooling nozzle and half the trust bearing!!!! luckily our pistons are so wide that when the crank would shift that 1/4in the rods would just slide along with it on the piston. so i pulled that engine out and everything apart. besides taking the head off and pistons out cause i didnt have enough time or money to get into it that far... cause then you midaswell bore it and get new pistons and so on... i could write a novel on all the things ive done on it but thats the basics.

what do you mean jibayes? the gasket between the manifold and turbo?

heres a couple shots of the truck i can round up now. ill make a update soon on some lil fabrication stuff i got done and parts for the set up.

i made this gauge holder outta some oak and stained it with early american. looks good and looks good where it is. im either gunna make one with 3 more spots below it or do a pillar mount or something to hold a couple more. i want a fuel pressure gauge, boost just from the ht60 and back pressure cause i plan on running an exhaust brake.

The Following User Says Thank You to cumminspower024 For This Useful Post:
93W250Cummins (02-28-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.