C-Burban write-up with pics! - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Performance Parts Discussion
89-93 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 1st Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Well, I guess that is going to have to wait a while, because I don't even have the chevy t-case anymore either, so I'm going to have to do a lot of parts shopping to make this work. Thanks for the help, and whenever I get to that project and have the parts I will hit you up for some pics and more advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Are there any issues hooking up the 241dld to the getrag 5sp, or should I be planning on a tranny swap at the same time?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

It would bolt in as long as it came from a manual transmission. Why not have Dakota Digital build you something. Possibly be cheaper in the long run.....
93flatbed is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #28 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

They do have some cool stuff, don't they! I'm still not ready to spend that much yet, so unless I can find a cheaper temporary solution, I am going to have to wait on that fix.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Diesel Head

you could always build a custom dash. They also make gps based speedometers so you don't need to mess with the t/case and so on.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I looked at the Dakota digital stuff when I did mine, they had ones that would go on the damper with their own tone ring for the tach and another one that would mount on the yolk on the driveshaft and they were fairly pricey, but I still had my old tcase for parts. Do you have any junk yards where you can get parts? Any case from a 88-98 Chevy 1/2 ton will work, also grab an extra speedo sensor and I can help ya rig up ur tach
Old 03-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #31 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Well, I cleaned up the truck today and decided I would go ahead and turn in the full power screw on the pump. (I have already turned the star wheel, the smoke screw and the pin) I took the collar off, turned the screw in 2 turns, put the nut back on, adjusted the idle, and went for a ride. I took it pretty easy going up our lane and down our road until I could get to a better place to open her up. Even at that, I could see a lot more smoke! The problem is that when I started to get into it, the turbo made a bad sound, so I backed out of the throttle, turned around and eased it home. When I shut it off, I could hear a metalic sound as the turbo wound down. So, I took the intake tube off and spun the turbine. It spun freely, but did have a little play front to back. the blades where fine.... so I guess this means that the exhaust housing is where the problem lies?!? I think my brother has an extra hx35 laying around, so I may just put it on there and see how it works. Is the hx35 much different than the stock turbo with the pump turned up? Are there any tricks to installing the hx35? Oh, I also found a split in the intake tube right by the clamp that holds it to the turbo, so I guess I'll be replacing that as well. Wish me luck, and any tips would be appreciated!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #32 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
The front diff is on the passenger side, so you will have to clock the 241 from driver side to passenger side drop... Its possible though, but more work than what its worth if you already have the speedo on gps.
JustinRhodes is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #33 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

OK, I got the turbo taken off and this is what I found: First of all, I could see no visible damage from either the front or the back while the housings where in place. Just that little bit of shaft play both in-out and side to side. I couldn't get the exhaust housing off(maybe there is some trick to this?) but when I pulled the front cover off I saw this:

So, what does this mean? just replace the turbo and I'm good to go, or does this imply that something may have been sucked into the motor and I have much bigger issues? I also took a couple pics of my intake tube.

This piece goes from the 3" turbo inlet to a 4.5" at the filter. Anyone know where I can get a replacement?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #34 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Got a couple pictures of the C-burban when it is a little cleaner!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #35 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

My brother said that the hx35 he has needs some sort of plate or cover on the back for the wastegate. does anyone know what this might be?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #36 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-man View Post
My brother said that the hx35 he has needs some sort of plate or cover on the back for the wastegate. does anyone know what this might be?
Well, he answered this for my by finding this on ebay: Holset HY-35 HX35 Turbo Downpipe Flange Custom Weld 3" | eBay

So, I am going to get it ordered and as soon as he can get his turbo sent to me, I'll get her up and running again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.