Been Searching Forums for hours - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Performance Parts Discussion
89-93 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 1st Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Been Searching Forums for hours

OK, been searching the forums for hours. I know I saw a post that answered my question but I cant locate it anywhere.

Just installed Diamond Eye 4" Exhaust on stock truck. Now truck seems to be rich/fat smelling. I know there are adjustments to make but I cant locate which, and why it needs to be adjusted. Im guessing its due to low egts with the larger exhaust???

Also, Ive been online reading and reading. I know gas motors. Where can I learn how this 12v works before I start making adjustments to gain MPG. For me I need to understand the hows and whys before I start tweaking the pump or adjusting the timing. I like to know how one effects the other and why Im getting this or that result.

Our biggest goal with the trucks are MPG (with plows or towing appx. 2k)

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Turning up the pre 94 Ram diesel injector pump

This should help if you want to know what each adjustment does.
Do you have gauges? If its "rich", its smoking. If not, it just smells like a diesel. Worn injectors may cause it to haze. That might make the exhaust smell a little stronger, but I don't know. The 4" exhaust won't cause any problems, any problems you are having would have been there before the install.
<1990 W350 SRW 727> <1993 D250 Getrag, Pump and Injectors by John Russin, AirDog 150, PowerParts Engineering clutch,full 5" exhaust.60lb springs,ARP studs,o-ringed and ported head,3 piece manifold, s300g over s475>
Ahineman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

if you are looking for mpg 1st things first it has to breathe. the exhaust is a great start and a cold air intake should be next then gauges pyro especially, then pump and timing mods. dnr has a really nice cold air kit if you dont want to make your own. my 91ctd 2wd gets 20 towing a HEAVY trailor 26mpg empty in town and 28hwy.
jthighflier is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

After I first installed my DE 4", my truck fell flat on its face. Nasty haze all the time and a whole lot of smoke with not as much power. After checking for problems, I tried every adjustment there was plus a few modifications. Finally, I had to go to a bigger (higher volume) turbo to clean it up and get the power back. Best I could figure out over a year of analyzing this is that I lowered my EGT so much it could no longer drive my H1C properly. Totally not normal, but that has been my truck from day 1.
Left out in the cold is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left out in the cold View Post
After I first installed my DE 4", my truck fell flat on its face. Nasty haze all the time and a whole lot of smoke with not as much power. After checking for problems, I tried every adjustment there was plus a few modifications. Finally, I had to go to a bigger (higher volume) turbo to clean it up and get the power back. Best I could figure out over a year of analyzing this is that I lowered my EGT so much it could no longer drive my H1C properly. Totally not normal, but that has been my truck from day 1.

I thought that was because the previous owner had your timing advanced a tooth.
<1990 W350 SRW 727> <1993 D250 Getrag, Pump and Injectors by John Russin, AirDog 150, PowerParts Engineering clutch,full 5" exhaust.60lb springs,ARP studs,o-ringed and ported head,3 piece manifold, s300g over s475>
Ahineman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahineman View Post
I thought that was because the previous owner had your timing advanced a tooth.
That was part of the things I tried, re-setting the timing.
Left out in the cold is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i find it hard to believe a bigger exaust hurt your spooling???? doesnt sound right to me!!
my h1c loved the 4" pipes!! weird!!
Old 05-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

my h1c loved the bigger pipe.... but I still wanted more, and my hx35 and intercooler helped a ton.
03/5.9/CTD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
less backpressure can hurt spooling in some cases due to the fact of your exhaust leaving the housing in a less dense form, hence spooling less.
RCCUMMINS89 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCUMMINS89 View Post
less backpressure can hurt spooling in some cases due to the fact of your exhaust leaving the housing in a less dense form, hence spooling less.
that makes no sence to me as the size of the outlet on the housing didnt change?
anything turbine wheel and back shouldnt effect spooling negatively
Old 05-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
think of it this way, run your turbo without your downpipe (assuming it woudln't catch your firewall on fire) and tell me how much low end grunt you have. your exhaust still adds backpressure even though you have a 3" outlet to your turbo housing. Just like running 4" exhaust cools your egts down even though it is after your 3" exhaust outlet due to it decreasing your overall backpressure. I know many many guys that run 5" and larger exhaust (I was one of them I ran dual) and you lose low end torque due to backpressure, and you need more fuel to thicken up the exhaust to spool the turbo.

These are xtreme cases however and adding 4" exhaust to a stock truck shouldn't in my opinion actually hinder performance, I was simply stating the fact that it is possible.
RCCUMMINS89 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i still dont get how back pressure would help your turbo spool??? and i have ran my truck without the dp and no loss at all???? louder that hell though! haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.