1st GEN DRAG GURU'S HELP - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Performance Parts Discussion
89-93 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 1st Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
1st GEN DRAG GURU'S HELP

Well, I'm hoping the best drag race 1st gen VE pump guys jump in here. My truck is light....I do not tow, just cruise around and jump on it now and then.
The pump is maxed, and I have a 3800 spring, timing advanced 3/16's.....I have some 60 lb valve springs I am going to throw in when I change the Turbo.. I just purchased a set of 5x.012 custom injectors about 3 weeks ago....so I guess they will be for sale..LOL....The truck runs a little over 101 in the quarter right now. It has a stock H1C turbo and I get 34 lbs of boost in 5th gear...3.54:1 rear with a 31.7" tall tire..

Here is what I'm thinking....Why not get some big 5x.018 injectors and a 66/71/14 turbo.....maybe this will make me happy....I need to get this thing into the low 12's at least.....It will run high 13's now. I really do not want to change the VE pump this year....although I know I will eventually and o ring the head etc... but prob not this summer.

I do not want to buy parts and not be happy like I just spent $650.00 on these injectors....Guy said they would be great with a 62/71/14 but It sounds like this will only get me to almost 400 Horse.....I want more than this....Can this be done....with bigger injectors and a turbo off my VE pump? I have an Air Dog II 165 GPH regulated to 12lbs of pressure and it hardly moves at full boost....

Just hoping to find some guys that have already played around or have seen first hand experience....Thanks in Advance
SCHEID 6x.016's. Silver Bullet 64/74/14. 3800 R.P.M. spring. Denny Stage II Pin. Timing bumped 3/16's .Auto Meter Sport comp 2 gauges. Aluminum Radiator Getrag 5 speed, but have 68RFE in the garage waiting for programing..In 4th and 5th gear it pulls away from the new 392 (6.4) hemi's until 110 MPH
RATRODCUMMINS is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 12:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Depending on the weight and transmission of your truck, 5x16's and a 66 should get you into the 12's. How much money are you able to spend? With a turbo of that size, a cam and ported head would greatly help drivability and spoolup at the line.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty View Post
Depending on the weight and transmission of your truck, 5x16's and a 66 should get you into the 12's. How much money are you able to spend? With a turbo of that size, a cam and ported head would greatly help drivability and spoolup at the line.
....I'm willing to spend almost a few grand this weekend on a turbo and injectors....I still have to get a detroit locker and some Cal Tracs for the rear. Its a Getrag....Truck has to weigh about 3800 lbs... I am really going for mile an hour....I will switch to an auto next year probably...I would love to do a cam...port the head...o ring it...stud it but I do not want to much down time on the truck right now....I would have to leave it at a shop for that....but if I knew I could drop it off at a shop right now and have it back in two weeks....I would be willing to drop some $$$ Seems everyone is very busy.

You think 5x16's would push a 66 with my VE pump?

Another thing....I do not want to smoke everyone out behind me daily driving....but with a Getrag and a light truck I'm thinking I can get away with a larger turbo?
SCHEID 6x.016's. Silver Bullet 64/74/14. 3800 R.P.M. spring. Denny Stage II Pin. Timing bumped 3/16's .Auto Meter Sport comp 2 gauges. Aluminum Radiator Getrag 5 speed, but have 68RFE in the garage waiting for programing..In 4th and 5th gear it pulls away from the new 392 (6.4) hemi's until 110 MPH

Last edited by RATRODCUMMINS; 05-10-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

In my opinion a 66 is too big for a daily driver first gen. If you're worried about smoke you might want to consider a 62 or 64.
RATRODCUMMINS (05-11-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

You might wanna go to a larger injector in the first place. More fuel the better. If you dont go all out now you'll eventually be upgrading to larger ones. 6X14'S or 6X16's. Go big or go home. Im warning though a stoch HG won't last long under full throttle racing with this size of a turbo and injectors. Also, the 66 is honestly a little large. The 62 i have spools purty quick but would take a little staging to light it off the line. Also the 62 would be a perfect high pressure turbo for a compound setup down the road. Another thing, you will lose alot of boost between shifts with a 66. Especially with the long throws of a getrag. I know the auto would fix the problem but your talking serious money to fix a problem that could be fixed with a smaller turbo. These of course are all my personal opinions. But they are all coming from just driving my truck with this setup for over a year now.
Sold: 1991 W250 5 Speed metallic blue. 3200 gov spring, pump maxed, M&H M3 fuel pin, timing bump, dipricol gauges, 4 inch Diamond eye, s300 and 6X16s and airdog 150.18" moto metal 955's, dual-disk, coolertubz.
GeneralC is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralC For This Useful Post:
RATRODCUMMINS (05-11-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralC View Post
You might wanna go to a larger injector in the first place. More fuel the better. If you dont go all out now you'll eventually be upgrading to larger ones. 6X14'S or 6X16's. Go big or go home. Im warning though a stoch HG won't last long under full throttle racing with this size of a turbo and injectors. Also, the 66 is honestly a little large. The 62 i have spools purty quick but would take a little staging to light it off the line. Also the 62 would be a perfect high pressure turbo for a compound setup down the road. Another thing, you will lose alot of boost between shifts with a 66. Especially with the long throws of a getrag. I know the auto would fix the problem but your talking serious money to fix a problem that could be fixed with a smaller turbo. These of course are all my personal opinions. But they are all coming from just driving my truck with this setup for over a year now.
This is great stuff guys thanks.....I want to hear everyones opinions and experiences...thats what these forums are for right? ......Now I'm thinking a 62/71/16?..... I really just want to be able to nail it in fifth gear from 60 m.p.h. and have it pull from most things out there till about 130.......
Old 05-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

how in the world are you running 58 lbs of boost? head studs and a o ringed head? also 6 x 16's? do they smoke a lot driving around? what kind of power are you making....
Old 05-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
DELETE YOUR TURBO!!!!!

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
my truck in sig runs high eights in the 1/8th. needs a bigger charger water meth and the tranny rebuilt. the tranny shelled out today and thats what was holding this thing back so now i should be able to get more power on the ground
Old 05-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

i think your thinking too big even with the 62/71/16...with the mods in my sig my truck made 40-42psi after adding the timing i needed for the 5x16s to burn efficantly. sure i could run stock timing and a monster turbo, but its alot cheaper to just tune what you have. Id say get a 64/65/14 or a 63/65/14, 6x16s, intercooler, charge pipes, and intake, exhaust manifold (or port the stock one), timing spacer. just my opinion but you should gain a lot more with everything flowing better and tighter A/R for quick spooling rather than a big laggy dyno queen of a turbo with stock everything else
'93 w250- SDX 5x16s, gauges, pump maxed w/pin/spring/spacer/bumped, Amsoil cold air, S362, Valair ceramic, Airdog 150, ARP studs, 24v intake, PS IC, 3" CP's, 3pc m, W/M, traction bars ('11 VW GTI -Stage 2 APR)
1stgenjake is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgenjake View Post
i think your thinking too big even with the 62/71/16...with the mods in my sig my truck made 40-42psi after adding the timing i needed for the 5x16s to burn efficantly. sure i could run stock timing and a monster turbo, but its alot cheaper to just tune what you have. Id say get a 64/65/14 or a 63/65/14, 6x16s, intercooler, charge pipes, and intake, exhaust manifold (or port the stock one), timing spacer. just my opinion but you should gain a lot more with everything flowing better and tighter A/R for quick spooling rather than a big laggy dyno queen of a turbo with stock everything else
My pump is maxed....timing is bumped 3/16's truck is intercooled...just want to know best sticks and charger for what I have....truck is light
Old 05-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
DELETE YOUR TURBO!!!!!

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
my 64/71/14 lights like its stock with custom 7x.014s its currently waste gated at 45psi and hits it intantly. it will spool a 66 efficently just dont have the funds to upgrade yet
Old 05-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATERLOO49 View Post
my 64/71/14 lights like its stock with custom 7x.014s its currently waste gated at 45psi and hits it intantly. it will spool a 66 efficently just dont have the funds to upgrade yet
Are you still running the stock cam? What RPM does it light at?
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.