Cylinder Head Porting - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Performance Parts Discussion
89-93 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 1st Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Cylinder Head Porting

Why don't I see much if any of this being done? I see guys pulling heads to o-ring and install studs to put more boost to it, so why not get the head ported? I searched and came up empty with what people have seen with results from this. No one seems to do it. Companies sell this service. What gives?
2000RATA is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I might give it a shot. Heads sitting on a work bench, might as well do it.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

A buddy of mine got his ported and polished. Not sure if it made a lot of difference tho.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

curious as well. I think i read somewhere that it is not beneficial on the 12v until extremely high horsepower goals like. . . but that may have been something else. I agree, a lot of people seem not to do it and I have wondered why as well.
oddjobb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 02:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Here's a couple for you....

cnc head porting

Port polish head
Old 01-04-2011, 07:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Mines done. Boost is down and egts are down. I don't see why you wouldn't do it if you had a chance.
93flatbed is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Higher boost and lower egts is what i would want.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by W350_1992 View Post
Higher boost and lower egts is what i would want.
Remembering that "Boost" is a measure of resistance to flow through the engine, changing nothing else, porting a head will reduce the resistance to flow thus appearing to drop the original boost number. Of course, EGTs will also drop with increased flow.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Hey BC, how you doing?

The head on my truck is ported as is the 3 piece manifold. There are major differences at the exhaust posts between the exhaust ports on the motor and the ports on the manifolds. The manifold was was port matched but the head got pretty much the full porting. It was done by PDR up in Vancouver B.C. when Piers was still the owner. Some of the older guys might still recognize that name but not sure about the newer members.

Like BC said, anytime you reduced the pressure loss thru the engine, more air can be stuffed into it. On the intake side of a first gen there are a few areas in the plenum area that are really restrictive. Smoothing these up helps the air to get to the valves.

Porting around the base of the turbos also helps.

93 D250, PDR Twins HX35&HT3B, 60+# boost,PDR stage 2 head w/o-rings, PDR Cam, modified VE Pump, piston style lift pump, modified 5" intake w/AFE, ATS ported manifold,DTT 89% converter, 4" RIP exhaust, modified tranny, EGT/boost/tranny/tach gauges, TPS removed, a little chrome under the hood. Mag-Hitec tranny and diff. covers. Rear sway bar. Line-x bed liner, after market seats. Single stage Water/Meth system installed. Oversized intercooler w/3" IC lines.

05 Chevy 2500 HDcrew cab 4x4, Duramax W/Allison, 17" Hummer wheels w/285-70-17 BFG's, Banks intake, ported turbo mouthpiece. Predator programmer, Autometer EGT and boost gauges.
Paccool is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paccool View Post
Hey BC, how you doing?
Hey Stan, happy new year.

Like Stan, I've a ported head from PDR: 195 CFM in, 220 CFM out (stock is 145 in and 153 out). The head combined with a good flowing cam, intercooler and associated plumbing (including the stock/OEM intake feed-horn ) results in a LOT more flow through the engine.

As folks have pointed out, there's a number of areas in the 12v head that could be improved. Here's an old image from the PDR website talking about the exhaust ports . . .

The #1 intake port has a nice bolt boss cast into the beginning of it's runner in the intake log . . . .

Nowadays, with the funding for it, folks have taken to cutting the stock/OEM cast intake-log from the head so as to have full access to the intake runners for porting. Then bolt a high-dollar custom built intake-log in it's place.

Here's a Hellman model . . .

Last edited by BC847; 01-04-2011 at 05:24 PM.
BC847 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to BC847 For This Useful Post:
Anklh (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Dave,
Did you get the stage two head or the stage three?

I had the PDR towing cam installed but wish I had just left the stock cam in place. Really didn't see a lot of improvement with the cam for all around driving but it did help with the towing. The power band was a lot wider. At the same time the 60# springs went in and that is something that should be considered a must if the power is going to be turned up very much.

I had the head and cam done first then took the truck up to PDR and they put the twins on. Was one of the first ones they did. Also had the 4" exhaust put on with the twins.

I'm going to be selling my truck in the near future and someone will get a good deal as I still have most of the stock components that came off as well as a pile of parts.

93 D250, PDR Twins HX35&HT3B, 60+# boost,PDR stage 2 head w/o-rings, PDR Cam, modified VE Pump, piston style lift pump, modified 5" intake w/AFE, ATS ported manifold,DTT 89% converter, 4" RIP exhaust, modified tranny, EGT/boost/tranny/tach gauges, TPS removed, a little chrome under the hood. Mag-Hitec tranny and diff. covers. Rear sway bar. Line-x bed liner, after market seats. Single stage Water/Meth system installed. Oversized intercooler w/3" IC lines.

05 Chevy 2500 HDcrew cab 4x4, Duramax W/Allison, 17" Hummer wheels w/285-70-17 BFG's, Banks intake, ported turbo mouthpiece. Predator programmer, Autometer EGT and boost gauges.
Paccool is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I won't go that far, but definatly clean everything up where I can get.

Also the only reason you would way higher boost is to help keep EGT's down. Porting will help keep EGT's down while lower boost a little, which is actually easier on your engine. That's the way I think about it.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.