Fuel pin - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Performance Parts Discussion
89-93 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 1st Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question Fuel pin

I have turned my fuel pin 90 degrees from stock and got my power screws just right and where i want them. Big difference in POWER!!!! And i love it. Screw all that smoke crap i was saying before!! Im building for power now. How do i go about grinding off the stock fuel pin?? Do i just make the deeper grade of the fuel pin deeper? Dont really want to use air tools on it.. Can i use a hand file? And how long would it take? Please remember i am new to these first gens and want to know what i am doing. If it was a 2nd gen 12 valve i would know what im doing with the fuel plate. But its not so i would love to learn how to do this until i can afford the denny T performance fuel pin
1st gen fanatic!!! is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Here's what mine looks like. I just used a grinder.

This is about half way done compared to stock.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Bench grinder followed by a Dremel
earthdad (10-21-2012)
Old 01-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I forgot, after you grind it you need to smooth it out with sand paper or it will wear on the little pin.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

And, congartulations on starting to grow up.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

do what huntinguy has in his first picture and dont worry about an aftermarket pin. try not to grind at the bottom of the ramp so you limit low boost fueling. that will help spool up and run cleaner.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

^ what he said. I made that mistake first go around. Had a spare to do right. Would smoke like a pig on take off. Fixed it now. I went higher and deeper then the ones above and got clearance out of the top cover so the pin could go higher into the housing.
And a file would take days I would think?
93flatbed is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sweatin to the oldies

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st gen fanatic!!! View Post
I have turned my fuel pin 90 degrees from stock and got my power screws just right and where i want them. Big difference in POWER!!!! And i love it. Screw all that smoke crap i was saying before!! Im building for power now. How do i go about grinding off the stock fuel pin?? Do i just make the deeper grade of the fuel pin deeper? Dont really want to use air tools on it.. Can i use a hand file? And how long would it take? Please remember i am new to these first gens and want to know what i am doing. If it was a 2nd gen 12 valve i would know what im doing with the fuel plate. But its not so i would love to learn how to do this until i can afford the denny T performance fuel pin
Good deal. I don't know if you've already this or not, but while you're in there, you can also tighten up the star wheel that the spring rides on. Just get a screwdriver, and turn it clockwise 1-2 turns or however much you can go. That also makes a difference. Then, you can always tighten down your "pre-boost fuel screw" on top of the fuel pin plate by prying off the metal cap and adjusting it. That can give you some extra fuel for the RPM you're running.

Sorry if you've heard that before, thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Haha
thechoochlyman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechoochlyman View Post
Then, you can always tighten down your "pre-boost fuel screw" on top of the fuel pin plate by prying off the metal cap and adjusting it. That can give you some extra fuel for the RPM you're running.
That actually fuels more fuel at low rpm, nothing to do with high rpm. it will probably hurt spool up more than anything. it did with my setup.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sweatin to the oldies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBradley500 View Post
That actually fuels more fuel at low rpm, nothing to do with high rpm. it will probably hurt spool up more than anything. it did with my setup.
Ah, my bad. I'm still pretty new to the 12v. And yeah, now that you mention it, my spool up does seem a bit slower than it was. I probably need to let mine back out some.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Sweatin to the oldies

I'm pretty sure most of us have seen this pic before:

What is the benefit of grinding the pin like in Huntinguy's first example rather than like this?
Old 01-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

I ground maybe @25% of it because i didnt want to screw it up. I turned my start wheel 1 full turn the other day when i was in my pump. I took my truck down the road after i got this done and its such a big performance difference!! But im just wondering how much better is the denny T stage ll fuel pin than grinding your own? Besides actually being machined out. How far is it cut into the pin?
1st gen fanatic!!! is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 1st gen fanatic!!! For This Useful Post:
Natedogg1 (10-03-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.