Valve lash? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Performance Parts Discussion
89-93 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 1st Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Valve lash?

Okay, I was thinking about getting a cam to try to help out my EGTs and turbo spool a bit... But Then I got to thinking about my days with gas performance... We used to tighten up our valve lash to make the cam "behave" like it was slightly bigger... I can think of no reason why this would not work on the CTD also. Can anyone else?

If this has been done before, how tight is "too tight"?
"lightly modified" 85 Crew Cab: 92 CTD, 6" lift, South Bend ConO clutch, ISSPRO gauges, 5x.014s, HTT 62/65/13, ported, studded and o-ringed, 4" turbo back, piston lift pump, M2 fuel pin, M&H timing spacer, pump turned up, 3200 RPM governor...
freak007 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

You don't get as much affect on diesel, your only pumping air in. You might make a minor gain by moving the exhaust out faster, but basically that is what we ate doing with a turbo, that and a bit more air packed into the cylinder,
Stock 93 12v reg cab 2wd 4:10 rear 5spd getrag synthetic gear oils, Pac brake and K&N air filter, 20 mpg(imp) grossing 16,500 lbs, gotta love that. Keremeos BC
tractors1952@hotmail.com is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2010, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

i've built a 12 valve with a bigger cam in it, i do not know the specs of the cam now, but we set the valves to the stock lash, but with the bigger cam and pump mods, we bumped timing 2 degrees advanced, got big results, awsome throttle reponse, good lope, and power, i would say stick with the factory lash, better safe then bending push rods
Old 07-17-2010, 02:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinscummins View Post
i've built a 12 valve with a bigger cam in it, i do not know the specs of the cam now, but we set the valves to the stock lash, but with the bigger cam and pump mods, we bumped timing 2 degrees advanced, got big results, awsome throttle reponse, good lope, and power, i would say stick with the factory lash, better safe then bending push rods
You got good lope with a cam?
Old 07-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty View Post
You got good lope with a cam?
X2 . .. ?
Old 07-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak007 View Post
Okay, I was thinking about getting a cam to try to help out my EGTs and turbo spool a bit... But Then I got to thinking about my days with gas performance... We used to tighten up our valve lash to make the cam "behave" like it was slightly bigger... I can think of no reason why this would not work on the CTD also. Can anyone else?

If this has been done before, how tight is "too tight"?
i did mine at .009" intake and .018" exhaust to see if they would quiet down a little and it did work but i think mine were about .011" and .023" before. i would think about your egts and base lash slightly off of that. if youre always running over 1250* i wouldnt tighten them past factory settings by much at all. i only hit high temps once in a while ( once every trip out) and its typically around 700-800* so im not afraid of parts swelling from heat.

*all opinion*
Old 07-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1952@hotmail.com View Post
You don't get as much affect on diesel, your only pumping air in. You might make a minor gain by moving the exhaust out faster, but basically that is what we ate doing with a turbo, that and a bit more air packed into the cylinder,
I need more of an explanation than this... Tightening lash allows the valve to open sooner and stay open longer.... In theory, this would allow the turbo to spool faster (more exhaust out) and EGTs to come down (more air from turbo, and valve open longer). I do not see why this would be any different on a diesel than a boosted (or NA) gasser...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBradley500
i did mine at .009" intake and .018" exhaust to see if they would quiet down a little and it did work but i think mine were about .011" and .023" before. i would think about your egts and base lash slightly off of that. if youre always running over 1250* i wouldnt tighten them past factory settings by much at all. i only hit high temps once in a while ( once every trip out) and its typically around 700-800* so im not afraid of parts swelling from heat.

*all opinion*
What were the results of your tightening the lash down? Did you notice any difference in EGTs or performance? Your mods look pretty similar to mine...
"lightly modified" 85 Crew Cab: 92 CTD, 6" lift, South Bend ConO clutch, ISSPRO gauges, 5x.014s, HTT 62/65/13, ported, studded and o-ringed, 4" turbo back, piston lift pump, M2 fuel pin, M&H timing spacer, pump turned up, 3200 RPM governor...
Old 07-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i didnt notice much besides underhood noise went down and you really notice the piston pumps noise (which is getting annoying by the way). the truck does run smooth and i dont have any problems with them set the way they are. i guess thats the best i can give you.

oh yeah i did mine cold after a night of sitting.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

sounds to me like a cooler intake charge would fix both problems or you're throwin more fuel at it than your current turbo can handle
91VECumminS is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91VECumminS View Post
sounds to me like a cooler intake charge would fix both problems or you're throwin more fuel at it than your current turbo can handle
yup, it sure would... Any of these things would help me out...

cost of N2O - $1000
Cost of IC upgrade - $500
Cost of W/M - $1000
Cost of Cam - $400
Cost of ported head - $2500

I think that tightening the lash down a littler bit would help too... Although not nearly as much as any of the above upgrades...

JBradley500 - Are you still on stock valve springs? How long have you been running like that?
Old 07-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i am on stock springs. ive been running it this way for like 5000 miles maybe and have had no issues. my truck has just under 150,000 miles on it by the way.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

yeah truck had a real good lope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.